Review of the Rolling Stones Exile box set

TONEPUB

Review of the Rolling Stones Exile box set
« on: 17 May 2010, 05:21 pm »
For those of you with your fingers on the trigger today, we managed to get the box a few days ahead of the street date.  Sorry we couldn't get it sooner...

Here's our analysis, see what you think!  Either way, for those of you that take the plunge, enjoy!

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/

Toni Rambold

Re: Review of the Rolling Stones Exile box set
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2010, 03:02 am »
Quote from: TONEPUB
Mastered from the original tapes and experienced on both vinyl and digital via Universal’s Super Deluxe reissue, the album has never sounded so vital, loose, transparent, present, or alive. And none of the trademark dirt, rawness, and swagger have been sacrificed.

Dear Jeff,

could it be possible, that the lacquers of this new Universal vinyl release were cut by Doug Sax from a 24bit digital file provided by Stephen Marcussen and not from the original analogue master tape ?

I love these sound quality descriptions - but do you compare this new release with Bob Ludwig's 1994 remaster for Virgin or at least with an original 1972 UK pressing ?

Regards Toni

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2010, 10:44 am »
I'd also be interested in knowing how this new release stacks up against the '94 Ludwig remaster on Virgin. All in all, a well written review.

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2010, 11:01 am »
I'd also be interested in knowing how this new release stacks up against the '94 Ludwig remaster on Virgin. All in all, a well written review.

Me too, it's almost birthday time and I need to get vinyl recommendations to the "Boss"  :D

NB

Toni Rambold

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2010, 12:19 pm »
... here is another review which answers some questions:

musicangle by Michael Fremer - The Rolling Stones (reissue): Exile on Main Street

8)

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2010, 01:04 pm »
... here is another review which answers some questions:

musicangle by Michael Fremer - The Rolling Stones (reissue): Exile on Main Street

8)
Wow, he really didn't like it! I was going to buy the set until I read that. It's a shame that such a great band as so manny shabby recordings.

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2010, 01:25 pm »
Heard the CD from the box set, not the vinyl. VERY disappointed. I have the original LP, although I don't listen much to vinyl anymore.

The CD sound is cleaned up and sharper, we can argue if that is a bad thing to do on an album known for its "muddy sound" (although Michael Fremmer says that reputation is only because most listeners don't have a high end vinyl rig capable of reproducing the sound correctly).

Why am I disappointed? Very high volume compression on the CD. Makes it unlistenable after a few minutes, to my ears. I would understand doing this to the mp3 releases, but why do it to the CD and the vinyl, which are supposed to be landmark re-issues? People who are going to shell out the money for this set probably are also going to listen to it on a decent home system, so why mix it for iPods?

Note: my understanding is that the vinyl was cut from digital, and not from original analogue masters. If someone knows otherwise, chime in.