Surrounds to go w/ VR5 Annies

choffman

Surrounds to go w/ VR5 Annies
« on: 17 May 2010, 02:34 am »
I hope to integrate home theater into my system in a few months.  What would be good surrounds to mate with a pair of VR5 Anniversaries?  I'm hoping to put together enough for the Visiun center channel but using four Unifield 1s or 2s for surrounds and rears is out of the question finance wise.  I would prefer a wall mount or in wall design.  Any suggestions?

Chris     

varsharun

Re: Surrounds to go w/ VR5 Annies
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2010, 04:21 am »
If your room configuration allows wall mounts, go for the ones by Definitive Technology. Martin Logans are great value for ceiling speakers. I myself am looking at a pair of the ML Helos 100s to mate with my Unifield 3s.

-Arun

I hope to integrate home theater into my system in a few months.  What would be good surrounds to mate with a pair of VR5 Anniversaries?  I'm hoping to put together enough for the Visiun center channel but using four Unifield 1s or 2s for surrounds and rears is out of the question finance wise.  I would prefer a wall mount or in wall design.  Any suggestions?

Chris   

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2010, 11:07 am »
I have Speakercraft in wall for my surrounds...I am 5.1 not 7.1.  These are very good speakers with a sound that belies their modest size and price.  Shop around and you can find them for cheap.

http://www.speakercraft.com/#Products:85:AIM7%20MT%20Three

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2010, 04:38 pm »
Dali in-walls :)

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2010, 05:59 pm »
See www.thelsagroup.com for on and in-wall speakers.  Surprisingly or not, the LSA speakers seemed to be cut from same cloth with respect to features and benefits  sonically and cosmetically as the early HT line-up from VSA (see the on-wall "tripole" design for rear/surrounds).   I'm just sayin...

htradtk

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2010, 11:07 pm »
Chris,

I use an old pair of Polk Audio RT3000p which were once my main speakers many years ago!! Most of my music listening is done in 2 channel, but when it's time to watch a good flick or a great concert blu-ray, on go the surrounds!

Enjoy those Annies!
Henry

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2010, 11:37 pm »

$3K for a pair?  Why not just hang a couple of VR33s back there? :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2010, 01:17 am »
Oh believe me I would if it was master egyptian masons that did my place!  :lol:

Seriously though, they share some traits with Annies. They go way up in the frequency range very smoothly and are very resolving in the mids.

Personally I'll be using Ambience In-walls with my SR MkIIIs and VSA Visiun Center. A bit of a commitment though. They may be only 6 inches wide but are over 5 feet long. That's some hole in the wall! Also cost just a tad bit more.

choffman

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2010, 09:43 pm »
Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.  I will check them out.

Except you Jack!  :lol:

Don't I wish.  In all seriousness though, what do you think of the LSA's?  I see them listed in your signature line.  Those are a little more in my price range.

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2010, 02:10 am »
 :lol:

I think LSAs would be great with VR-1s, VR-2s, VR-4jrs and SR Mk1s and Mk2s. They are extremely close timbre wise to the aforementioned albeit less with the SRs. Your Annies however are so extended it's as though they have super tweeters. That's why I recommended the Dali in walls. The room tone on the surround tracks would be more seamless thanks to their ribbons. If LSA ever got around to making the equivalent of the LSA1 Statement in surround form, I'd have recommended them in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, they'd end up being in the Dali's price range as well.

Personally though I, like you, give more importance to the center channel. The sane route would be to follow your plan. Save up for the VisiUN which in my opinion is one of the best center speakers in the world bar none and actually get more affordable dipoles if you calibrate for THX specs in-walls or in-ceilings if you run straight up or DSP'ed Dolby Digital or DTS.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2010, 02:04 pm »
I have an all electostatic front wall in my HT...ML aerius i's and Cinema center channel.  The Cinema is absolutely awesome for dialogue and Jack is correct in that the center speaker is THE most important of the bunch.  Not sure however how a stat center speaker would blend with box speakers.  I wouldn't trade what I now have for anything...period.  It's really that good.

htradtk

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2010, 11:20 pm »
Like Gavin, I too own ML's Cinema center channel speaker in my system. Gavin, you said it all, it's the best center channel speaker out there.

PS, Gavin, those Analysis Plus gold IC's are sounding better with time, so much detail. If you are up for a drive to Baltimore, you are more than welcome.  :thumb:

Henry

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2010, 01:44 am »
If we are ever close by you can bet I'll stop by for a listen.  Glad that you are enjoying the ICs.