Owners Audition List?

Saturn94

Owners Audition List?
« on: 16 May 2010, 09:33 pm »
I am looking to upgrade my current ADS L1290/2 speakers and am trying to narrow down my choices.  So far I'm considering Salk, VMPS, and Von Schweikert.

I noticed that there is an owners audition list in the Salk and VMPS circles for those interested in auditioning them, but I didn't notice one here for Von Schweikert.

I really would like to hear these speakers if anyone is willing (I'm in southeast VA).

Thanks.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Owners Audition List?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2010, 12:37 am »
You are welcome to hear mine but you'd best pack a lunch...it's about a 12 hour drive??  From what I have read re: Salk and VMPS, they are respectable speakers but not sure either will stack up well against the VSAs.  What model VSA are you considering?  The new VR33 is apparently kicking the behind of just about anything at or below $10K.  If you want to go to the next rung of the ladder, the VR4 SR MkIIIs are at least as good as most speakers in the $25K range and that's no exaggeration.  Then there's the VR5 Anniversary and so on.  All the VSA speakers are outstanding.  Good luck in your search...it's a lot of fun.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2010, 01:00 am »
The new VR33 is apparently kicking the behind of just about anything at or below $10K.

Now all we have to do is convince Jim Salk and Albert to set up the just the VR33's and HT2-TL's in the same room at RMAF 2010. I think both designs would come out a winner and it would be the most popular room at the event.

Wayne

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2010, 02:56 am »
You are welcome to hear mine but you'd best pack a lunch...it's about a 12 hour drive??  From what I have read re: Salk and VMPS, they are respectable speakers but not sure either will stack up well against the VSAs.  What model VSA are you considering?  The new VR33 is apparently kicking the behind of just about anything at or below $10K.  If you want to go to the next rung of the ladder, the VR4 SR MkIIIs are at least as good as most speakers in the $25K range and that's no exaggeration.  Then there's the VR5 Anniversary and so on.  All the VSA speakers are outstanding.  Good luck in your search...it's a lot of fun.

Thank you for the offer.

I'm considering the VR33.  The more expensive VSAs are simply way out of my price range.  Initially I was trying to stay under $2K, but it became apparent that I would have to spend more to find anything that would be considered an upgrade to my ADS speakers.

This process would be more fun if I could actually hear these speakers instead of just reading about them.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2010, 11:02 am »
If your price point is now $4K look no further than the VR33s.  VSA offers a 90 return policy and even though the break in on any VSA speaker is relatively long, that should give you ample time to evaluate them before the 90 days are up.  Good luck in your search.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2010, 03:13 pm »
If your price point is now $4K look no further than the VR33s.  VSA offers a 90 return policy and even though the break in on any VSA speaker is relatively long, that should give you ample time to evaluate them before the 90 days are up.  Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the response.

I did exchange a few e-mails with VSA and am aware of their 90 day return policy.  Despite this excellent return policy, I would be out the shipping cost to me should I return them (about $300 because of their size).  At this point I'm not sure I want to spend $300 on an audition.  Despite encouragement from VSA that no one has yet returned a pair of VR33s, I have to consider the possibility that they won't be THE speakers for me.

My last recent speaker audition is a good example of this.  After reading very positive reviews and feedback about the new Magnepan 1.7s combined with my own positive experience with Maggies back in the eary 80's, I decided to check them out.  After a couple auditions at 2 different dealers I found I did not like the character of the midrange in these speakers (there seemed to be some emphasis in this area).  They did have some outstanding qualities, but in the end they are not the speaker for me.

I don't doubt that VSA makes excellent speakers, but personal preference is such a huge factor when it comes to speakers (and they all sound different).  So at some point I'm going to have to do some auditioning to see if I like them enough to replace my current speakers.

It's been such a long time since I seriously looked for a pair of speakers (I've had my ADSs for 24 years!) I'm going to have to really take my time and see what's out there.

Thanks again.  I really appreciate all the feedback.