Hook up options for the VRS-1 subwoofer.

DonB

Hook up options for the VRS-1 subwoofer.
« on: 16 May 2010, 01:10 am »
Possibly looking to use the VRS-1 in a dedicated two channel system and would be looking to use the high-level input/outputs. The question is can I simply run wires right from my amp to the VRS-1 without returning them from the sub just giving the VRS-1 a input only signal? It's between this and possibly an REL R205 or R305 but I need to gather more information before I can decide.  :dunno:

JackD201

Re: Hook up options for the VRS-1 subwoofer.
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2010, 06:07 pm »
The question is can I simply run wires right from my amp to the VRS-1 without returning them from the sub just giving the VRS-1 a input only signal? :dunno:

Could you clarify Don? I'm a bit confused.

Running a pair of speaker wires to the VR-S1 will activate the high level inputs. The black aka negative run serves as the return or ground. Yes you can definitely do this. The only difference with the REL is that the high level input in the sub uses a Speakon connector instead of standard speaker terminals.

The high level outputs are a convenience option that allows you to send the signal to the satellite speakers, not back to the amp. I don't recommend using the high level outputs. A pair of speaker wires directly from amp to sats will give you better sound.

Enjoy!

DonB

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2010, 11:50 pm »
Could you clarify Don? I'm a bit confused.

Running a pair of speaker wires to the VR-S1 will activate the high level inputs. The black aka negative run serves as the return or ground. Yes you can definitely do this. The only difference with the REL is that the high level input in the sub uses a Speakon connector instead of standard speaker terminals.

The high level outputs are a convenience option that allows you to send the signal to the satellite speakers, not back to the amp. I don't recommend using the high level outputs. A pair of speaker wires directly from amp to sats will give you better sound.

Enjoy!

It sounds like you understand by question pretty well ! What I was asking is do I have to run wires from the VRS-1 via the "high level outputs" to the speakers in order for everything to function correctly. I didn't think I would need to but I figured I would ask. I could find little to no information of subwoofer connection on-line other that using the low level inputs. Seems that high level connections are becoming difficult to find, from what I can gather.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2010, 12:39 am »
I drive my subs via line level from my preamp and it sounds great.

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2010, 01:28 am »
Glad to be of assistance Don. Don't be a stranger :)

Hey Gavin! Line outs to subs with full range speakers like yours really will and do work great. With sats, where the sub's plate amps' crossover setting will be higher, will benefit more from high level inputs in terms of coherence. This happens because the subs do more midrange work. Having the main power amp act in principle as the plate amps input stage gives the sub the flavor of the power amp and not just the preamp.

That has been my experience with VR-S1s in tandem with VR-1s using everything from 2a3 SET amps to solid state Pass Aleph 0 mono blocks.

DonB

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2010, 02:39 am »
Hey Gavin! Line outs to subs with full range speakers like yours really will and do work great. With sats, where the sub's plate amps' crossover setting will be higher, will benefit more from high level inputs in terms of coherence. This happens because the subs do more midrange work. Having the main power amp act in principle as the plate amps input stage gives the sub the flavor of the power amp and not just the preamp.

Coherence is what I'm looking for. I've got all my main gear which consists of McIntosh C220 preamp, MCD201 CD player, and MC240 tube amp (still need to select phono). The speakers I'm starting with are some back loaded horns using Fostex FE126e's. I don't know where I will ultimately end up but my search for a sub brought be to Von Schweikert, a name I have heard before but for some reason or another really never considered. Below are a few pic's of some of the pieces. Right now I'm cleaning and painting the room I will be using and hope to have things done soon!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2010, 10:58 am »
Hey another MAC guy!  Welcome aboard DonB.  It's no secret that there is great synergy between McIntosh and VSA speakers.  No secret whatsoever.  BTW, what is your general location if I may ask?