HLLY TAMP-90 90W Class T AMP AMPLIFIER Tripath TA2022

boead

I'm looking for a Class T amp, cheap (as a summer amp) and cool.
Anyone try this? Have any comments/Suggestions?

HLLY TAMP-90 90W Class T AMP AMPLIFIER Tripath TA2022
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/index.php?cPath=21_41
$220 from China.

Power:
90W @ 4Ω, 0.1% THD+N
60W @ 8Ω, 0.1% THD+N
Dynamic Range = 102 dB
Single ended outputs
  Linear voltage regulator for VN10 and V5 supply
  Dual sides components arrangement.
Over-current protection
Over-temperature protection
(note1): Can be modified to operated in bridged mode and get more output power.(180W)

Wind Chaser

Re: HLLY TAMP-90 90W Class T AMP AMPLIFIER Tripath TA2022
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2010, 09:36 pm »
For the price and power you can't go wrong with Tripath under the hood in a brand new amplifier.  I think I paid more for a 6 watt Trends.

boead

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2010, 03:53 am »
How about this Gainclone
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/html/fm_transmitter_1_174.html

Based on my limited experience with Gainclones I find them to be warmer and less analytical / easier to listen to.  That would be my preference.

boead

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2010, 01:30 pm »
Thanks, im going to need to learn more about these chips.

Been through a few amps, got lost in the world of low powered SET’s some time ago; in a good way. I still have my beloved 1watt SET and a pair of highly efficient MTM speakers (Parker Audio) but a few years ago I opted for a much higher powered SET from McAlister and a very inefficient pair of Alon speakers. I went from 1 wpc to 16wpc – WOW!! LOL.

My McAListers are WAY TOO HOT for prolonged summer use. Its an ongoing battle between them and the air-conditioned and I hate getting in-between. My Decware SET cant power the Alons past a whisper so I have to swap the speakers too. I would really like to find a decent sounding digital amp with some interesting qualities that can drive the ALons well enough. My audio room, right now, is small. Im definitely listening in a more ‘near field’ environment which has its own flavor.

My Decware SET is modified (revoiced a few times) to sound the way I wanted it too. Biased for the EL84 tube with loads of micro detail and speed; it was like pealing an onion down to its core. NOT analytical or overly sharp or bright but NOT luke warm and smooth like many tube amps tend to be. Don’t get me wrong, I can like that too but the balance between the two flavors was what I was looking for. I found that from Peter McAListers SET amp using an odd assortment of tubes. I also have his preamp which is also a single ended headphone amp; loads of drive, nice sounding 12SN7’s and a perfect match(synergy) for his 32watt SET.

A good friend went the gamut with amps, tubed and SS. Settled on a very nice set of Nuforce amps which I like but are expensive and im not looking to make that sort of change. But im a big believer in new technology and ideas and that price is not always reflective of sonic ability. If I can find a cheap and fun and temporary all digital solution I’ll be happy. Upstream and downstream from the amp is all good and what I like so the amp just needs to not suck.

Gainclone vs Class T? Differences?
Tripath’s TA2022 seem to mostly be around 20wpc, how is this one reaching 90? There are lots of other model TA’s, what do theyt sound like? What matters?

Notional LM’s; 3886, 4780, 4766 ???OPA’s? and so on…

What the hell do I know?

BTW: If anyone is interested in the Decware SET and Parker Audio Model 95 sigs contact me. They are both custom made and have an incredible synergy. Amps sweet spot is down around 2 ohms and the speakers are matched perfectly - more efficient than a pair of 98db Klipsch I had some time back. I’ll likely post them for sale, have a few thousand dollars in them – kills me to sell them but…

BrassEar

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2010, 09:21 pm »
I am using the TAMP-90 to drive my Vandersteens. I sold my Classe and Pass amps about a week after I got it.  It is the most transparent amp I have ever used. Sweet top end like tubes. Drives my speakers as well as any amp I have ever tried.

If you like the Tripath sound (like I do) this amp retains those qualities with excellent power. For the price, it is silly good.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2010, 10:50 pm by BrassEar »

jtsnead

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2010, 10:06 pm »
look at the classDaudio amp kits, I prefer it over
the T amps, you could build one sitting on a cutting
block for around $300

skite30

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2010, 06:43 am »
I am a bit confused by the power specs on these amps. The 90tamp says 60 watts into 8ohms. Is this 60 watts per channel or 30 watts per channel? Same thing with the m-1 gainclone it says 25 watts into 8 oms is that 12 and a half per channel?

boead

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2010, 01:39 pm »
I’m think that’s total; 45wpc for the TA2022 chips seems to be in the high side. Finding most are around 20wpc. But I’m not sure since they claim the HLLY TAMP-90 90W can be bridged mono to 180watts. Going to drop them an email. They list like a couple of dozen of their amps on eBay all the time, same price for Buy Now. Haven’t seen any sell used.
I’d like to build my own but I don’t have the time, especially now and through the summer.

RCduck7

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2010, 04:06 pm »
I have a Yulong Audio AmpOne that is claimed to have 2x 40 watt @ 8ohm.
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/YuLong-Audio-AMPONE-Power-Amplifier-AMP-/360206255359?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ddf744ff

It is mostly advertised as a class T amp but a lot of people are saying it is class D that uses a Gainclone  LM4780.
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/121734/1227387.aspx
And at Pacific Valve they are saying it is a class a/b design. :scratch:
At least, the Yulong looks a lot like the HLLY amps but the Yulong doesn't use the tripath chip.
Compared to my Dussun V8i "monster" amp (2x250 Watts @ 8ohm) the Yulong sounds a bit more natural and tube like then the Dussun. But of coursse the Dussun has a bit more power, bite, timing and detail... and the Yulong looses a bit of steam when playing very loud bass heavy music but it never becomes a big issue.
But the Yulong can counter these small issues if sensitive speakers are connected to it.
I had no or little problems with matching speakers from different brands on this unit as long as they are not hard to drive.
I heard speakers go bad on amps with more power and a 10 times higher price, matching is for some amps critical it seems.
Since i bought the Yulong i got intrested in these little amps and i wonder if a HLLY 90 Watt tripath design could sound even better??

Here's a review of the Yulong amp...

http://dood.ca/2008/09/26/yulong-amp4780-integrated-amp-review/

acresm22

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2010, 04:52 pm »
Has anyone tried this amp?
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/scythe_sda1000_e.html

I'd never even heard of it until I saw a picture in the AC homepage gallery.

boead

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2010, 05:39 pm »
I ordered the amp less than a week ago and got it yesterday from China – that was fast!!
I hooked it up last night, gave a short listen and let it run overnight. Gave it another short listen this morning and left it running all day. Got to get a couple of hundred hours on it before I am critical.
At a glance it sounds ok; definitely doesn’t suck. Not particularly transparent but that can improve with break-in, bass is deep and rich so far and its NOT bright but fairly extended. Id say its about 40wpc regardless whats its rated at, maybe less but the speakers im driving are very inefficient.
I doesn’t sound like a typical SS amp.
Its made well, nice and heavy – not cheap feeling or looking. Runs cool, hardly warm to the touch.

For its price… cant complain so far.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2010, 09:20 pm »
Has anyone tried this amp?
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/scythe_sda1000_e.html

I'd never even heard of it until I saw a picture in the AC homepage gallery.

I have the SDA-1100, although I'm not sure what changes (if any) were made from the SDA-1000 model to the newer model number.  It is being used to drive a pair of 8 ohm/90dB patio speakers from the analog output of an Airport Express.

The cheap external switching power supply is probably its biggest limitation, and I would agree with the review that it is probably not worth it to invest upgrade money into this economical little amp, but to enjoy it as is, particularly for less critical applications that will work with its 10W/channel power output.

It can be found for less than $60 shipped from many suppliers.

Steve

RCduck7

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2010, 09:20 pm »

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/147589-hlly-tamp-90-ta2022-chip-true-pearl.html

Very promising comments on the HLLY Tamp-90!
I almost want to order one but i'm also playing with the thaught of ordering a Bada dc-222.
http://www.pacificvalve.us/BDC222.html
Slightly off topic as the Bada it is no T-amp but a Hybrid amp, the pre stage is tube and with solid state power.
You get more for your cash with the Bada compared to the little T-amp but i wonder if the extra money on the Bada is well spent purely on sound... And a man can't buy everything he is intrested in just to figure out what sounds best. :D
Any thaughts?

A comment on Pacific Valve...

The Bada DC-222

"I just cannot compare this to anything in is price range, so do not ask me to.  Fitted with 6189 tubes (GEs or Sylvanias) , this little gem is capable of some startling music that
folks who spend money at this price range will ever encounter.  The resolving power is among the best and it brings a sense of tube warmth into the picture.  The Bada DC-
222 opens up speakers and lets the midrange “speak” with air.  I just get goose bumps when equipment lifts up the veil and lets me “peer” into the music. Like all Bada
hybrids, it marries a preamp with its own power supply and transformer with a tube preamp and an amplifier’s power supply with quality solid state outputs."

A review on 6 moons, this amp that was modified up to 5000$!!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aplhifi/uas1.html

boead

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2010, 11:44 pm »
The HLLY TAMP-90 still hasn't broken in yet and its sound is changing a lot. So far its very warm, lots of rich bass. NOT bright, somewhat rolled off on the top end and the mid-range is a row back. Enough detail, nice deep sound stage – good imaging. A little reserved, definitely a trade off between richness and transparency (didn't expect it to do it all did you?)
For its price – WOW but how does it compare to my McAlister SET? It doesn't really, the McAlister is better in all ways but still the HLLY is excellent; my McAlister is a bargain at $2000+ and this HLLY is a steal at $200!!

Using my Preamp made a significant difference. But I expected that, without the preamp its still nice but the preamp adds lots of musicality (also a McAlister).

I started power-cord rolling but its still too soon. Tried a Harmonic Tech Fantasy Model-10 which is an amazing PC but may be too rich/warm for this amp. I have others to try.

Time will tell.

Alexdad54

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2010, 03:07 pm »
Just wondering of one of these could power my Salk ST's running through a Mapletree AUdo Ultra 4SE tuper pre?....would the Bada be a better choice? The price is very tempting just to try it but I don't know if it has enough "power

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2010, 03:54 pm »
The HLLY TAMP-90 still hasn't broken in yet and its sound is changing a lot. So far its very warm, lots of rich bass. NOT bright, somewhat rolled off on the top end and the mid-range is a row back. Enough detail, nice deep sound stage – good imaging. A little reserved, definitely a trade off between richness and transparency (didn't expect it to do it all did you?)
For its price – WOW but how does it compare to my McAlister SET? It doesn't really, the McAlister is better in all ways but still the HLLY is excellent; my McAlister is a bargain at $2000+ and this HLLY is a steal at $200!!

Using my Preamp made a significant difference. But I expected that, without the preamp its still nice but the preamp adds lots of musicality (also a McAlister).

I started power-cord rolling but its still too soon. Tried a Harmonic Tech Fantasy Model-10 which is an amazing PC but may be too rich/warm for this amp. I have others to try.

Time will tell.

I would imagine that if you were at all up to it, huge gains would be made in transparency (or whatever tone suits you) by putting in new output caps, as those are typically a major bottleneck/determinant of sound quality for T-amps and are usually so-so quality stock.

EDIT: Looking at the pic at the top, looks like they use some kind of cheap Epcos caps (so-so), and I see extra holes to accomodate larger size caps, so they clearly anticipate people switching them out. I highly, highly recommend you give that a shot if you can...

boead

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2010, 06:38 pm »
So far this amp is turning out to be very warm and classic tube like. Im surprised, I was expecting quite the opposite. Im using a Harmonic tech Fantasy 10 power cord which is on the warm side with most components. Also using MIT S3 IC’s which are also a bit warm. Been too busy to start rolling but im sure I can cut down on the bass but…
For a $200 amp its great, especially if you like that rich, warm sound. Very musical and non fatiguing.

Yeah, Im sure with some mods it can be re-voiced easily but it is what it is and im not unhappy with it. Ultimately it’s not my choice although I do like rich and warm over stark and sterile.

For a desktop system this amp is absolutely perfect; near field with lots of weight is ideal for most tiny speakers on a desk or small room.

BrassEar

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm »
I would imagine that if you were at all up to it, huge gains would be made in transparency (or whatever tone suits you) by putting in new output caps, as those are typically a major bottleneck/determinant of sound quality for T-amps and are usually so-so quality stock.

EDIT: Looking at the pic at the top, looks like they use some kind of cheap Epcos caps (so-so), and I see extra holes to accomodate larger size caps, so they clearly anticipate people switching them out. I highly, highly recommend you give that a shot if you can...
I normally mod things to death but this amp sounds so perfect in my system that I just don't want to touch it. Tonal balance is perfect with my Vandersteens - and those are very revealing.

The only thing that I could imagine improving is the extreme top end as it is slightly rolled off way up top.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm by BrassEar »