I just wanted to recommend the Sennheiser HD800s.

bellhead

I just wanted to recommend the Sennheiser HD800s.
« on: 12 May 2010, 06:10 am »
I recently got a pair and love them. I am very sensitive to brightness and upper-midrange shout,
and find that the 800s walk that fine line between buoyancy and abuse. The bass is fairly well defined and integrated with the rest of the sound,
and soundstaging and spaciousness are good too, without unnatural affects in this area. Vocals
are not edgy or grainy, either. I read reports that the 800s were shrill or tipped-up, and I avoided them for some time, but curiosity took hold and I bought them finally, and I am really happy. I am a former HD650 fan, and the family resemblance is there, but there is a much more open listening experience, with no stress, where I just want to listen to an entire disc (and stay up too late listening). I use a Ray Samuels B52 amp, and the nice tubeyness is a great match for the 800s.

BobMajor

Re: I just wanted to recommend the Sennheiser HD800s.
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2010, 01:11 am »
I have to agree. I have had the HD800 for almost a year and couldn't be happier. I previously used HD600, Sony SA5000 and Grado GS1000. The HD800 is superb. If you already have spent a lot one your system (The B52 is the top of the heap for amps) then you owe it to yourself to get a good aftermarket cable. The one I bought is no longer available, the Locus Design Hyperion, but if you look on HeadFi.org you'll find reviews of many other cables for the HD800.

cryoparts

Re: I just wanted to recommend the Sennheiser HD800s.
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2010, 01:39 am »
Great headphones provided you use the right amp and cables.  One of my all time top five, for sure. 

The B52 is certainly a great amp, indeed.  I use the Apache myself with great results as well.

Thanks for the mention of my cables, I haven't totally discontinued them, I am just building them on a bespoke basis now.

Peace,

Lee