EE DAC vs AVA new vision DAC

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
EE DAC vs AVA new vision DAC
« on: 11 May 2010, 05:26 pm »
Hi, I am looking to buy a new DAC and wondered if anyone has listened to the new AVA DAC with, what looks like a killer chip (not ESS), great build quality and great specs to the EE DAC that has both a tube and SS output. I am leaning towards the EE as I have Nuforce amps and thought the addition of the tube option may work well. That said I love the new AVA DAC.
I currently use a Transporter with analogue out to a Nuforce P9 pre and V3 Nuforce monos
David

mchuckp

Re: EE DAC vs AVA new vision DAC
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2010, 07:06 pm »
I just got the Wyred4Sound DAC-1 that has the ESS Sabre as well and REALLY like it.  I would LOVE to do a straight up comparison of the EE, W4S, and AVA.  I own an AVA preamp and amp and love them.  But my hesitation on the AVA DAC has been the lack of support for hi rez audio.  I wanted to do 96/24.  My personal hesitation on the EE DAC is that I have tubes in my preamp and amp already and wasn't sure I wanted 3 tubes in my chain and seems that people aren't blown away by the SS output of the EE.  I'm also not a big fan of the non-defeatable volume control.  One one didn't have tubes in there chain at all, I think the EE DAC would be very intriguing.

I'm sure all 3 are very nice DACs and each offer positives and negatives.

Anyone in the Pacific NW want to do a shoot out with my W4S, I'd love to.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2010, 07:10 pm »
We will be doing a Wyred, EE, and tranquility dac comparison sometime this summer.

mchuckp

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2010, 07:17 pm »
We will be doing a Wyred, EE, and tranquility dac comparison sometime this summer.

Is there an AVA to throw in the mix?

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
Thanks guys for the feedback and let me know how the shootout goes

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2010, 08:25 pm »
  I own an AVA preamp and amp and love them.  But my hesitation on the AVA DAC has been the lack of support for hi rez audio.  I wanted to do 96/24. 

What do you mean? We can do 96/24, or even 192K/24 if you want! Please check here: http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=247&Itemid=240

Wayner  :D

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2010, 09:44 pm »
Don't you have to open the unit and flip a switch or change a jumper?  It would be nice if the switch or jumper were on the outside.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2010, 10:31 pm »
Is there an AVA to throw in the mix?

I think Frank is updating Jim's dac so that is an option although now the matrix gets more complex and it is the only dac w/o usb so then we cannot do apples to apples with the Tranquility.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2010, 11:01 pm »
Jim's Vision EC Dac was shipped on Friday.  It has two coax and two optical inputs and does 96K 24 bit as is and up to 196K 24 bit by moving one internal jumper.

Regards,

Frank

wilsynet

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2010, 04:38 am »
I'm sure the new DAC sounds great, but I think that it's both amusing and ironic that you explicitly choose to use a captive power cord for the stated reasons that:

1. Users cannot be trusted to choose a safe and appropriate power cord, and
2. Power cords might also come loose during playback.

But you have no issue whatsoever with requiring the user to open up the DAC and moving an internal jumper.

They aren't quite analogous, but I think it's an interesting comparison even so.  For the record, I do not believe in exotic, magic cables.

Wilson

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2010, 05:18 am »
I'm sure the new DAC sounds great, but I think that it's both amusing and ironic that you explicitly choose to use a captive power cord for the stated reasons that:

But you have no issue whatsoever with requiring the user to open up the DAC and moving an internal jumper.

They aren't quite analogous, but I think it's an interesting comparison even so.

Wilson

I will say that while I was demo'ing the AVA Insight+ Dac in my system, I used a Z-Sleeve Ultra on the captive cord which turned out to be a very effective tweak towards enhancing the Dac's clarity. But at the end of the day, I wouldn't purchase a product who's ideology goes against my own, regardlesss of how much of a $$$ bargain it is for the quality being offered and I do consider AVA products to be just that. If you believe as I do that power cords are a must-have component of any audio product, then simply move on from an AVA product in which case makes the EE Dac is the clear choice here. And even tho I haven't personally heard the new AVA Vision, just having heard the EE Dac in my system makes it an even easier pick between these 2 Dac's for me to make regardless of the power cord issue. There's not too much not to like about the audio quality of the EE Dac, especially when using the USB connector for jitter free PC Audio.

Just MHO, YMMV.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2010, 11:57 am »

They aren't quite analogous, but I think it's an interesting comparison even so.  For the record, I do not believe in exotic, magic cables.

Wilson

This minor modification is done with the cord unplugged and a period of time has passed to let the capacitors discharge, making the modification very easy. It's no different then changing tubes in any of the AVA units. Believe it or not, our customers are quite capable of doing things like this and are fully versed in any kind of self mods. I have no idea how this has anything to do with a power cord however.

Wayner  :D

wilsynet

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2010, 02:31 pm »
There are a handful of reasons why CDs became more popular than vinyl records, and convenience may be one of them.  The minor modification you speak of is much less convenient than flipping a record.

While this is indeed very much like rolling tubes, many manufacturers make it much easier by making tube sockets accessible from external.  Moreover, I find myself changing tubes much less often than I do changing song tracks.

In the interests of staying constructive, I'll refrain from commenting further regarding power cords.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2010, 04:03 pm »
This thread is in the wrong circle....this circle is for reviews. :wink: