Stratos Vs. New Odyssey Digital Amps

pugs

« on: 9 Feb 2004, 06:51 pm »
How will the price/performance of the new digital amps compare to the Stratos?  If the price/performance of the digital amps is better, why buy a Stratos now?  Do you think the digital amps will make the Stratos obsolete?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2004, 07:51 am »
Absolutely not.  People try to make the analog vs. digital  argument,  when in fact,  there is and always will be (notwithstanding that nobody knows what's up in 10 years,  of course) pro and cons for both.  Anyboy running out and yelling "analog  is dead"  hasn't been in the trenches for too long.  The digital sound today,  however you want to label it or define it, certainly has it's lure.  After all,  this kind of new attributes haven't been here before in that degree,  and for many,  this seems to be the ultimate revelation in audio.   In fact,  some of it is artificial just like tubes are artificial in some areas.  I believe that the "newness"  of it wil wear thin on many people jumping on the bandwagon,  and that some will realize that there are areas which either transistors or tubes do better.
Lastly, the most IMPORTANT  issue // as always //  it doesn't say anything about synergy.  Synergy, synergy,  synergy !!!

So,  anybody looking for digital,  I believe that I will have a very nice alternative to other top notch digital amps soon.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother spending tons of hours and $$$ into the venture.    Will it be for everyone?  Of course not.  However, just like when I started with the Stratos,  come on in and check it out and see if it's your cup of tea.  My full support, money back guarantee,  an always full 100 % investment return when upgrading within the Odyssey family as with all of our products  should be a sign of comfort to everybody.  Hopefully it is,

Klaus

pugs

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2004, 07:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply Klaus,

What are some of the attributes of digital amplifiers?  In other words, what are the sound charactersitics compared to analog SS?  Also, why so much wattage?  Is it easier and cheaper to put more power into them?

I'm really curious.

Barry

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2004, 03:28 pm »
Klaus,

For the digital amp, are you planning to make it an integrated amp.  Given that it is straight forward to provide a digital interface for a digital amp, it would be attractive to have a volume control built-in to make it integrated amp.  In this way, for those people who want to minimize ADC and DAC in the signal path.

Did you make decision on that?

Barry

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2004, 06:34 am »
Good idea Barry...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:43 am »
Man, a 2 ch digital int amp would rock.  Especially if it had 3 or 4 coax inputs, plus maybe one optical, and keep the signal digital from the input all the way to the speakers.

I'm sure Klaus has his own ideas, of course! :wink:   Just thinking aloud.