Do monoblocs sound better?

roymail

• Roy in TX
Do monoblocs sound better?
« on: 5 May 2010, 01:26 pm »
What are the sonic advantages of using monoblocs?  Do they offer better sound than 2 channel amps in a single enclosure?   :wink:

Thanks!

« Last Edit: 5 May 2010, 07:07 pm by roymail »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Do monoblocs always sound better?
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2010, 01:30 pm »
If you're talking about the same brand, model, etc. purely broken into 2 chassis with separate power supplies vs sharing, then generally, IMO, they will.  The simple separation of the power supply helps with imaging IMO. 

Now, if you have a true dual mono amp with separate transformers, supplies, etc. just sharing a chassis and maybe an IEC inlet, then the differences are much smaller if any as long as the circuitry is laid out properly.

Bryan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2010, 01:32 pm »
What are the sonic advantages of using monoblocs?  Do they offer better sound than 2 channel amps in a single enclosure?   :wink:

Thanks!

Personally, I think if you could take some of the mono blocks and put them in one chassis, in a blind test, one couldn't tell.  There is no doubt that mono blocks have an advantage with cable length, aesthetics...

The biggest thing that I like about them is if you were to put the big mono blocks in one chassis, they would almost be impossible to move.  I believe in my case (Clayton Audio) is the reason that he makes the big amps in mono's.  I'm sure also to seperate the power supply and stuff. 

Again, soinically?  If you want them to sound better, they most certainly will.   :D

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2010, 01:54 pm »
Always?  I would say no. 

Eric

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2010, 02:47 pm »
It depends on many variables

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2010, 03:02 pm »
Always?  I would say no. 

This.

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2010, 03:12 pm »
Hey!

If we are talking about a true monoblocs as bpape mentioned than I would say yes. :D

On the paper I think a true monoblocs compare to a dual mono in single chassis should have a better channel separation. And this result in a better and more precise imaging of the sound.

But than again I would rather have a well designed single chassis amp rather lesser monoblocs amp for around the same price. It dose cost more to make two chassis. Hard to say. :dunno:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2010, 04:19 pm »
Who cares about sound. 2 separate monoblocks just look cooler and show that you have more money. If you're really rich then go for this (4 chassis must be better):

werd

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2010, 04:26 pm »
I like mono blocs using reg preamps, as opposed to dual mono preamps. Dual mono straight through can be nice but also a little too discerning. It helps if they are made by the same manufacturer. Dual mono preamps with a regular 2 channel stereo or regular 2 channel stereo preamps with mono blocs thats basically how i look for synergy.

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Do monoblocs sound better?
« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2010, 07:15 pm »
Ok, first let me say thanks for your input on this question.

Now, let me clarify.  I have omitted the word always.  So now I'll better explain what I'm after.  I just want to know what you get with monoblocs that you don't get with regular 2 channel amps.

What I'm picking up on so far is that by having separate power supplies or transformers, you get better separation and imaging... correct?

What else, and are the advantages worth the added expense?  I know that's subjective, but I had to ask anyway.  Thanks again...  :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2010, 07:31 pm »
What I'm picking up on so far is that by having separate power supplies or transformers, you get better separation and imaging... correct?

That has almost unquestionably been my experience :)

It's a more realistic approximation of the original event...heard most successfully with simply miked, carefully mastered non-amplified music.  If the original event was done in a contrived setting with poor mastering...not much matters on the playback end 8)

John

BobRex

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2010, 07:43 pm »
Ok, first let me say thanks for your input on this question.

Now, let me clarify.  I have omitted the word always.  So now I'll better explain what I'm after.  I just want to know what you get with monoblocs that you don't get with regular 2 channel amps.

What else, and are the advantages worth the added expense?  I know that's subjective, but I had to ask anyway.  Thanks again...  :thumb:

You'll also get better dynamic impact, and, more than likely, better bass.

Let me explain the impact....  With a stereo amp whatever happens dynamically on one channel can deprive the other channel of sufficient "juice".  Going to monoblocks and independent power supplies eliminates that issue.  This also results in better bass.

sts9fan

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2010, 07:49 pm »
I think if your PS is of proper size this will not be an issue.

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
Separating power supplies just seems to make sense any way you slice it.  It is the one place that improvements always seem to pay off in spades. However that poses the dual chassis problem, which is a major cost item in an amplifier. So you are definitely paying much more with monoblocks than with a 2 channel amp for marginally less gain in performance. I think the other issue that you need to be sure of is that both monoblocks are matched well so you don't have a center image that is shifted slightly one way or another.

I think there are more monoblocks using tubes rather than SS. I wonder if that is because the power supply in tube amps benefit more from separate power supplies than SS would (can an engineer chirp in here on this)? Alternately you usually see more balanced circuits in SS amps.

I wonder which really would make the most difference, and why: monoblocks or a true balanced circuit.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2010, 08:07 pm »
It appears that many here feel that the monoblocks would have to be superior -- at least in theory. Some have pointed out that, even if they were better than a comparable stereo amp, the diminishing returns factor would make the difference financially impractical. Then there's the argument about longer ICs and shorter speaker cables  --  or vice versa.
I think you would get greater benefit from active biamping with stereo amps than you are likely to see from monoblocks and passive crossovers.
But all of these arguments depend completely on the speakers in use.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2010, 09:14 pm »
There does not have to be a sonic difference between mono and stereo amplifiers. Modular (mono) builds can be more convenient in some situations.   

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2010, 09:34 pm »
You know, the more times I say monoblock, the better it sounds. It just kinda rolls right off your tongue. It definitely sounds better than:stereo:.