Experiences and comments on VMPS kits?

PT611

« on: 9 Feb 2004, 03:18 am »
I've been setting on the sidelines looking in for a few months now.  You have to jump in sometime....so for my first post, here goes.

I've read quite a number of threads here but have not seen much discussion on taking the kit route with VMPS speakers.  Mine are on order and I'm not looking back.  But it sure would be helpful if anyone else out there has taken this path and would be willing to share experiences and comments.  :o

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2004, 03:24 am »
The kits are fairly simple but it's possible you'll need help. Fortunately Brian is a phone call away. Also you can post here. There's really not much to it if you're mechanically inclined at all.  Best of luck with your new speakers. You'll be impressed if you haven't heard what's available from VMPS before.

meilankev

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2004, 01:18 pm »
Hello PT,

Welcome to AudioCircle.  While I do own VMPS speakers, I didn't buy them as kits.  And since my wife thinks a tomato is more handy than I am, I probably wouldn't be much assistance to you in your efforts.

However, there's a number of folks here who have purchased the kits, and will be able to help out with any questions.  And, of course, Brian is accessible both here and on the phone.

Congratulations on your purchase, and keep us informed on your progress.  You never know how many people can learn from your journey.

Kevin

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
kits
« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2004, 10:31 pm »
Kits w/cabinet are supplied with a fully assembled, finished cabinets with grillframes cloth attached, Soundcoated if you so ordered.  You wire the crossovers and install the drivers.

I'd like to say the kits are easy, but I'm prejudiced having personally handassembled each of the 19,000 crossovers inside the like number of VMPS speaker systems produced since 1977.  The most complex of them (the RM/X) takes me about 40 minutes each including parts selection and trimming.

Rigo, Gustavo, Angel, Ralph, Victor and Guadalupe do final assembly.  I test/listen to each speaker and compare it to a reference before it is boxed up.  I make the preliminary level control settings and damping adjustment so there is less for the owner to do.  If the delivery is local (or within driving distance) I do it myself to see how the speakers sound in various environments and with different kinds of equipment.

Thanks to the web customer feedback is instantaneous.  Usually the new owner starts posting the minute UPS or GI Trucking pulls up with the
boxes.  The scrutiny is meticulous and nonstop--like doing business under a magnifying glass.  Thank God I have good excuses saved up for every ill occurrance and am always pleased to hear kind words from satisfied owners.

mjosef

vmps kits are easy.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2004, 02:40 am »
I have found vmps speaker kits quite easy to assemble. THere really isnt much to assemble since the boxes come completed. When I bought my first(only?) original subwoofer back in 1986, the only assembling I needed to do was install the 12"woofer on the front baffle, it came with the fiberglass already in the box and the passive radiator installed. Since I was using an electronic crossover, I didnt even have to put the passive crossover together.  A little soldering skill is all that is required for that. Last year I replaced the original woofer with a megawoofer, the original foam surround had finally called it quits. I was stumped about how to approach replacing the pr which is at the bottom and enclosed. A call to Brian was all it took, he said just hammer the bottom off using a piece of 2x4 between the hammer and the box bottom., said it would come right off...I was a little skeptical, worried about ripping the sides...but I did it and it came off just as easy as he said, no tears on the sides...the man knows his boxes thats for sure.  Anyways the retrofit went smoothly and my subwoofer is like brand new again, even better.  Last summer I purchased a kit set of the now discontinued 404, just the drivers and crossovers, built my own boxes...
Not many kit builders post here I agree. I refoamed the old 12"woofer and 15"pr...and am almost finished with building a cabinet for them along the style of the newer 'lowboy' subwoofer cabs.  We will see how that turns out.  Always wanted to try stereo-subs.  Of course its easier to just buy the whole darn thing assembled and tested, but I am a tweeker on a budget.
The verdict: VMPS kits are easy as pie.  :wink:

PT611

Wish I was assembling right now...
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2004, 03:15 am »
There is one thing that is very clear throughout this forum...Brian, Big B, or B is on top of his game.  My hat's off to Brian.

I've always wanted to build my own speakers from the ground up, so I feel that the Kit route is the best decision for me.  It sounds as though soldering may be the one thing that most people question.  Myself, I've soldered a fair amount of electrical/electronics over the years so this won't intimidate me.

Right now I think I need to fear the HT cabinet I need to build for my new system more than the speakers.

Thanks for the "Welcome" and the experiences...  :D

WerTicus

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2004, 03:55 pm »
im going the kit way also... just waiting to see more info about the rm30's before i choose between that kit and the rm40 kit :)

ill be making my own cabinets too which is where the REAL joy comes... wood working :P

PT611

Woodworking
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2004, 03:54 am »
WerTicus

I would have loved to build the cabinets too.  But I did not want to chance having poor sound because of my woodworking abilities.  Besides I'll put my woodworking skills to building the entertainment center to house everything.  That should be enough of a challenge for me.

If my kits were just here..... :hyper:

WerTicus

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2004, 01:23 pm »
yeah well i have a factory just about :) i might just put my rm30's into a rmx like box :P