W4S DAC-1 or Dac-2?

Audioclyde

W4S DAC-1 or Dac-2?
« on: 4 May 2010, 03:53 pm »
Anyone had a chance to listen to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 that's been out a couple of weeks now?  I've spotted one thread with only an initial impression over on the Computer Audiophile forums, but I haven't seen anything else to date.

« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 01:10 am by Audioclyde »

roscoeiii

Re: W4S DAC-1?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2010, 04:28 pm »
That's all I've seen too. Seems to be a number of threads out there (including at least one other W4S thread here on AC), but not much in the way of impressions yet. And 6moons has a DAC2 preview up.

mchuckp

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2010, 05:48 pm »
I got the DAC-1 one on Friday.  it showed up while I was at AK Fest.  I came home with a sinus and ear infection and my hearing is all messed up and pretty much any noise hurts right now.  Assuming I get feeling better this week, I will definitely be posting some impressions compared to my Oppo BDP83 Special Edition.  I have me Oppo and a Squeezebox Touch hooked up to it.

It surprises me that there aren't any decent impressions of the DAC yet.  Not sure how many have actually shipped at this point.  Wish I could tell you something now about the sound quality.  I can tell you that the unit is very nice looking with a very solid build.  I like that the blue display is pretty dim.  I've owned things with blue lights before and was annoyingly bright.  BTW, I opted for the black version.  One thing that I found was interesting is that the manual says it takes 100-200 hours to fully break in.

More to come...

Audioclyde

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2010, 05:55 pm »
Thanks, mchuckp, get to feeling better quickly.

Audioclyde

Re: W4S DAC-1 or Dac-2?
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2010, 01:14 am »
Did the DAC-2 get released?  I've seen nothing, not even any initial impressions.

mchuckp

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2010, 01:36 am »
I'm shocked over the extremely low chatter about either of these DACs.  Lots of chatter on the Eastern Electric DAC that uses the same chip (mostly about tube rolling though).  I'm really diggin' my DAC-1.

For anyone stumblin' upon this thread, my impressions are in this thread (post #47).
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79660.40

face

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2010, 02:08 am »
The DAC-2 is supposed to start shipping this week. no confirmation on that though.  I'm very pleased with the DAC-1 so far, my review is also in the previously mentioned thread.

mr_micus

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2010, 10:53 am »
Last week I heard a loan DAC1 at Item Audio: deeply impressed by the resolution and clean-ness of the bass, and yet it wasn't at all etched like the Benchmark I heard alongside it. This is a serious contender for the 'new benchmark'! I didn't buy because I'm waiting for the DAC2: really want to hear Wyred 4 Sound's 24/192 USB before committing.

pardales

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2010, 05:58 pm »
I look forward to hearing some first-hand user expereince with these DAC's.

Sherlock

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:07 pm »
I'm too busy listening to my DAC-1 to write about it.

It's very nice.  Lots of detail, very musical.   

face

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:14 pm »
If you search, there are a few reviews posted including mine. 

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:14 pm »
Feel better, mchuckp.  I look forward to your impressions.