Old Speakers with Black and Red Spring Clips

jcoat007

« on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:09 pm »
I have a pair of Infinity RSIIIa speakers.  These are about 18 years old and have the old style spring clips for speaker cable connections with bare wire.  

See photos here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=jcoat007&id=DSC00044&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I am interested in changing these out to binding posts that can accept spades or bananas.  

Has anyone ever done this?  How hard is this?  

I just cannot believe that the little clip touching a very small part of the wire is giving me the best connection that I can get.  

Your help and input is appreciated.  

Thanks

Steve

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2003, 12:42 am »
It shouldn't be too hard to replace the cheesey sping clips with some decent binding posts, but it will depend on how they mounted the existing terminals.

If they are molded with a mounting plate as part of the terminals you may have to fabricate a plate of the same outside dimensions and mount the binding posts to that. If the terminals are mounted individually to a plate or terminal cup, you can just replace them. My bet is they are molded into some type of mounting plate/flange and you will need to fabricate a replacement.

Possible materials are PC borad material, aluminum, thin masonite, stiff plastic, etc...

I agree with you, trying to pass much current through this connectors is a loosing proposition.

Mike

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2003, 01:38 am »
Loose connectors would indeed be a losing proposition.  I took apart my old speakers and discovered the crossover was actually mounted right to the spring terminal thingy. Cheap!