Wooden diffusors like Core?

jazzcourier

Wooden diffusors like Core?
« on: 3 May 2010, 05:37 pm »
After a recent visit to the Music Lovers audio store to look at turntables my attention was drawn instead to the Core wooden diffusors they used in the small room to really make effective use of speaker placement.It seemed the rearward sound was directed to these smallish panels and made the music just sound "right".After attending a concert this last Saturday night at the Frank Gehry designed Disney Hall in Los Angeles and sitting in the tenth row and being able to discern almost every single individual sound in a full orchestra i sat in amazement as the purity and clarity of the sound washed over me.The high wooden ark-like ceilings and the immense artistic wooden diffusor that was erected high above the orchestra.....i thought "more wood!" I ask you who has used the Core products? Who has made their own diffusors of woods? Is there a more realistic price point manufacturer of wooden baffles that is as effective as the Core at a more reasonable price.Please share any ideas! Thanks! 

K Shep

Re: Wooden diffusors like Core?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2010, 06:07 pm »
I hope this thread gains traction. 

I plan to build a diffusor with wood.  Apparently there is a science to the layout of a diffusor.  One shouldn't just through together a bunch of random slotted boards. 

kgturner

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2010, 06:35 pm »
i own three core mod3 racks. arnold is a pleasure to deal with and offers exceptional customer service in my experience. i can't comment on his diffusion products as i don't own any. i'm sure you could build them cheaper yourself, but doubt they would look as nice as the one's core sells. good luck.

kevin t

jazzcourier

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2010, 07:12 pm »
From what i have read it is a combination of different woods,thickness of the actual panels of the woods and their assembly and set up within a deep box frame that may give the best results.My talents lie elsewhere other than woodworking.I am transported back to seventh grade woodshop and a note from the boys vice principal that my activities were "possibly hazardous" in the shop,i guess he was tallking about the ban saw.Those are very handsome racks there!

srb

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2010, 07:18 pm »
I am transported back to seventh grade woodshop and a note from the boys vice principal that my activities were "possibly hazardous" in the shop, i guess he was tallking about the ban[d] saw.

7th grade wood shop can be a dangerous place.  Although very few of my classmates wore a tie to school, one student that did (most unfortunately) got it caught in the table disc sander!

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2010, 09:10 pm »
I hope to build a unit similar to this.

http://www.rpg-europe.co.uk/products/qrd734/index.html

jazzcourier

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2010, 11:36 pm »
Some great links there! RPG looks like a wonderful product as well.I especially like that it is recommended for "places of worship"- that's my room alright! Anyone actually built one of these? I can see your spouse dragging the Styrofoam diffusor into court,that is really pushing the wife acceptability factor and may be construed as "mental cruelty" and  grounds for divorce.

ZENTISH

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2010, 04:55 pm »
Hi Guys, Decware makes some diffuser kits that are made of wood. Check them out on the Decware website.
Tish

K Shep

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2010, 05:06 pm »
Hi Guys, Decware makes some diffuser kits that are made of wood. Check them out on the Decware website.
Tish

Thank you for the link.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2010, 06:47 pm »
I hope this thread gains traction. 

I plan to build a diffusor with wood.  Apparently there is a science to the layout of a diffusor.  One shouldn't just through together a bunch of random slotted boards.

There are a couple of sites with formulas.  I'll look later.  I'd like to redo my room with some nice diffusers as well.

K Shep

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2010, 06:49 pm »
There are a couple of sites with formulas.  I'll look later.  I'd like to redo my room with some nice diffusers as well.

I'm looking for my next project. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2010, 07:34 pm »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2010, 07:35 pm »