Good to the Last Watt!

Mag

Good to the Last Watt!
« on: 2 May 2010, 09:44 pm »
When I was using my 3B ST with my inefficient power hungry Studio 100 v 2 ( they really need the juice to open up the slam bass). The amp would usually clip when I wanted to  :rock: I estimate the 3B ST output approx. 84 watts of clean power before clipping. That's when I realized I needed more power for dynamic peaks.

Having purchased a 3B SST rated at 150 watts, the amp no longer clipped when I reached the desired volume for rock. Except when I had an equalizer in the chain, which could easily clip the amp if not careful with the gain.

Having acquired a 3B SST/2 I am pushing the volume higher than my average volume before. So the amp could be putting out in the neighborhood of 84 to 100 watts. That leaves and estimate of 25 to 30 watts of clean reserve power. :singing:

I am trying to create the sound of presence in my audio room, like that of the 'live' event. With the SST/2 I believe I achieve that sound of presence at approx. 100 decibels C rated with plenty of watts to spare. :smoke:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Good to the Last Watt!
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2010, 09:46 pm »
Cool! Thanks for outlining the differences.

Napalm

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2010, 10:00 pm »
Mag, where's your soundstage? Behind, in plane or in front of the speakers? Knowing Paradigm I would guess it's behind. If you want that "here in my room" sound you'll probably have to fiddle with the EQ quite a lot or look for different speakers.

Nap.  :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2010, 10:49 pm »
I haven't really thought about it in those terms. I have to close my eyes to imagine the soundstage. I would say the soundstage is behind the speakers. I think however other audiophile's would consider the overall sound to be quite forward. Until they at least get use to multi-channel stereo, which could take a few weeks of critical listening.8)

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2010, 10:59 pm »
I don't use a graphic equalizer anymore as I discovered it veiled the transparent sound of the Bryston. I do use the parametric equalizer in my Yamaha RX-v1700.

Napalm

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2010, 11:33 pm »
I haven't really thought about it in those terms. I have to close my eyes to imagine the soundstage. I would say the soundstage is behind the speakers. I think however other audiophile's would consider the overall sound to be quite forward. Until they at least get use to multi-channel stereo, which could take a few weeks of critical listening.8)

Mhh.... do you have the speakers very close to the front wall? Like if you measure from front baffle to wall, you have less than 25"? You'll have to move them further in the room for a proper soundstage. Try 29" at least. Trust me I have Paradigm too and I know how they behave.

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2010, 11:59 pm »
I don't have the space, the speakers are right up to the wall. That's why they're front ported. :wink:

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2010, 12:01 am »
My speakers are front ported as well. I have them 2 ft. from the wall, however.

Napalm

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2010, 01:11 am »
I don't have the space, the speakers are right up to the wall. That's why they're front ported. :wink:

The Paradigms behave quite badly like that. The soundstage will be flat, right behind your speakers, and with no depth. Like all sounds are "painted" flat on the wall behind the speakers. Or even worse you won't have a soundstage at all, the sounds get disconnected from each other. The bass suffers too, it gets dry and lacking punch/dynamics.

Just for fun one day when you have nothing better to do, try this experiment: bring one pair of speakers more into the room, let's say with front baffle at 30" in. Also make sure you have at least 30" too from side walls. Power only these two speakers with no equalizer - just flatly through the amp. You should be able to notice that now the sound extend well behind the speakers, in a deep 3D image (behind the front wall too). Some instruments will be farther some closer to you.  Then you could toe in the speakers - this will have the effect of "curving" the canvas on which the instruments sit. Making the center deeper and the sides closer.

It costs nothing to try it so some rainy weekend....

Some other speakers work well even when stuck to the wall, but not the Paradigms.

Napalm

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2010, 01:17 am »
My speakers are front ported as well. I have them 2 ft. from the wall, however.

I have a pair of nondescript speakers (some older futureshop house brand) in another room - they are back ported and 2" (inch!) from the wall, just enough to fit the bananas - and they work - they have an OK nice and deep soundstage. The bass is a killer though, shakes the house. But since they're used for watching DVD movies it's OK - it saves me the expense for a sub.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2010, 01:45 am »
BTW Dave. I remember seeing Laundrew's and James' pics with the JBL horns placed quite close to the front wall. So they probably work well like that too.

Laundrew / James, can you confirm/infirm that the JBL arrays work well even when placed close to the front wall?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2010, 01:52 am »
BTW Dave. I remember seeing Laundrew's and James' pics with the JBL horns placed quite close to the front wall. So they probably work well like that too.

Laundrew / James, can you confirm/infirm that the JBL arrays work well even when placed close to the front wall?

I had them about 4 feet from the front wall.

james

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2010, 02:09 am »
Napalm, fortunately I don't sit behind the speakers. It's not practical for me to bring the Studio 100 30" into the room. They are however 64" from the side wall.

I have plenty of bass and dynamics. With the use of an enhancer, I would say I get better 3D imaging than with sacd.

I would describe my set up as a wall of sound, sitting in the middle 3rd row of a auditorium.  :smoke:

vegasdave

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2010, 02:34 am »

It's gonna be a long, long time before I can buy the arrays! At least a year, maybe more.

Napalm

« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2010, 02:42 am »
I know, my wife doesn't like speakers sitting in the middle of the room either, so I had to find the minimum distance that still works... Those 30" are from front baffle... and I mentioned it just for testing - like in temporary placing them there to see what gives then moving them back.

Anyway I dug up the manual for my Studio 100s.

It says quote: "Position the front speakers 8" (20cm) or more from the wall behind the speaker, and as much as possible from either side wall while still following the guideline in Fig. 1b. This will ensure better bass performance and optimal midrange clarity".

You're doing great with side distance so we'll skip that. The distance they mention is from the rear of the cabinet to the wall (I was talking front of cabinet earlier). Anyway, in my experience 8" is an absolute minimum, you start losing the soundstage there. My experience is that the minimum is 10" (which means 26" from front baffle - but that is with V.5 with rounded cabinets, your V.4 cabinets may be deeper).

Again, I was not suggesting to move them permanently, just give it a try. You may be surprised by the effect.

Napalm

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2010, 02:44 am »
It's gonna be a long, long time before I can buy the arrays! At least a year, maybe more.

But we have to keep you drooling  :drool:, don't we?

Nap.   :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2010, 03:48 am »
No, I'm past that stage. I close my eyes and imagine my L890s are arrays. :D

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2010, 02:44 pm »

Hello Nap,

Mine are about a foot from the side wall and also the same distance from the back wall. If I had a little more room - I would try moving them around. As for sound stage - I have a hard time telling where it actually is, it is almost like being underwater as the sound seems to be coming from everywhere :scratch:

Be well...

Napalm

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2010, 03:42 pm »
As for sound stage - I have a hard time telling where it actually is, it is almost like being underwater as the sound seems to be coming from everywhere :scratch:

Ha! Omnipolars!  :eyebrows:

(Vegas Dave --->>>  :drool:)

Nap. :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2010, 07:47 pm »
Ha! Omnipolars!  :eyebrows:

(Vegas Dave --->>>  :drool:)

Nap. :thumb:

:lol: