Updating from a Icon to an Icon Amp?

Sherlock

Updating from a Icon to an Icon Amp?
« on: 30 Apr 2010, 08:00 pm »
I am currently using an Icon in my desktop system.   Am using analog inputs from my soundcard.  I'm running speakers off the 'add-on' box and a sub from the pre-amp output.

Does the new 'Icon Amp' with its 24wpc offer a sonic upgrade from the original Icon?

Of course since the new 'Icon Amp' has no sub-out so that's a problem.  So how about if I use a splitter on the pre-out of the Icon, one cable going to the sub and the other going to the 'Icon Amp'? 

I've had bad experiences with splitters and subs before...sound quality has suffered.   But that's with other gear, haven't tried it with the Icon. 

All suggestions welcome. 

nongnet

Re: Updating from a Icon to an Icon Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2010, 04:55 am »
I have the same problem.
I have not sure how to use splitter on Icon AMP.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79948.0

Instead of upgrade to HDP + Icon AMP without sub out.
I go for HDP + Virtue Audio ONE.2 and I never look back !!!

SOMagic

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2010, 09:28 am »
I have the same problem.
I have not sure how to use splitter on Icon AMP.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79948.0

Instead of upgrade to HDP + Icon AMP without sub out.
I go for HDP + Virtue Audio ONE.2 and I never look back !!!

Check my reply to your original question see thread (2.1 ..........)

regards

SnakeOilMagic

SOMagic

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2010, 09:46 am »
I am currently using an Icon in my desktop system.   Am using analog inputs from my soundcard.  I'm running speakers off the 'add-on' box and a sub from the pre-amp output.

Does the new 'Icon Amp' with its 24wpc offer a sonic upgrade from the original Icon?

Of course since the new 'Icon Amp' has no sub-out so that's a problem.  So how about if I use a splitter on the pre-out of the Icon, one cable going to the sub and the other going to the 'Icon Amp'? 

I've had bad experiences with splitters and subs before...sound quality has suffered.   But that's with other gear, haven't tried it with the Icon. 

All suggestions welcome.

What do you mean by "add-on" box ? What would be your setup with the Icon Amp ?
Will you buy HDP or use your present Icon desktop HP/PRE/Dac ?

In any case the approach is plugging the adapters (see previous post) in your source RCAs out and continue from there...

Sound quality should not suffer if your cables and adapters are OK - working. Of course you need to fine-tune your subwoofer to your liking in the end...

regards
SnakeOilMagic

Sherlock

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2010, 04:21 pm »
What do you mean by "add-on" box ? What would be your setup with the Icon Amp ?
Will you buy HDP or use your present Icon desktop HP/PRE/Dac ?

In any case the approach is plugging the adapters (see previous post) in your source RCAs out and continue from there...

Sound quality should not suffer if your cables and adapters are OK - working. Of course you need to fine-tune your subwoofer to your liking in the end...

regards
SnakeOilMagic

I'm looking for a two hundred dollar upgrade (Icon Amp) not a six hundred and fifty dollar upgrade (HDP and Icon Amp).   If I was spending six hundred bucks I'd get a Virtue amp and be done with it.   And the connector in that link needs an RCA out, but the Icon has a mini-plug out, so no, that won't work.