Bryston Amplifier and Aftermarket Mains Cables

mannyjarnail

Bryston Amplifier and Aftermarket Mains Cables
« on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:37 am »
I would appeciate some opinions regarding aftermarket mains cables used on bryston amplifiers?
Has anyone tried any to what success and what would you recommend i buy?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: Bryston Amplifier and Aftermarket Mains Cables
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2010, 12:42 pm »
i don't see why an amp needs a cable thicker than my arm when the outlet it is plugged into is connected to an eroded piece of copper wire sitting in my walls, which is connected to a powermeter (that is not exactly noise free and does not stop any "pollution" coming in through the network), which is in return connected to another piece of copperwire several feet deep in the ground.
also, tests have shown it really doesn't matter whether you use the cable that came with the amp, or one that was built by elves under the third full moon of the maja year.

yyz

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:25 pm »
I have used some expensive power cables with the Brystons but really did not hear much of a difference from the stock cable. On other components, such as CD player, I did hear a difference with the power cables.

I really like my Audience Au24 balanced interconnects with Bryston amps (very thin cable). I have also used th Bryston interconnects before. They are much lower in price but I much preferred the Audience Au24's.

I made the mistake of thinking cables are not as important when I bought my current monitor speaker, Thiel SCS4. It is not as high-end as my previous floor-standing speakers, Reval Salon,  so I thought I would get a low end speaker cable because it should not matter too much with the new speakers.

I had a pair of AudioQuest Volcanoe ($900) for the Salons but they were only 3 feet long each. I needed a longer speaker cable for the new room. So I bought the AudioQuest Granite ($130) speaker cable along with the speakers. All these cables were bought used.

Things sounded quite good with the Granite for about 2 months. Then I bought a pair of Bryston Power Paks 300 and put the Bryston 7B-SST's, I was using with the Granite, back into storage. I was now also able to make the 3 foot Volcanoe reach my new monitors. Well I was shocked at how much better the sound was with the Volcanoe. It was so much clearer, detailed, more bass.

I could hear differences in cables with my old Salons but I was also surprised that even in lower models you can easily hear a difference.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm »
The  Gutwire powerclef/2 mains lead works really good on power. Discontinued product but you can find them for about $500 or cheaper used. They retailed for about $1200. The shunyata series pc are also excellent on Bryston too.

mannyjarnail

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:53 pm »
I have tried some Nordost Shiva powerkords on my bryston 7bsst's they were excellent on the mid band and upper range but made the bass sound very thin. I am know thinking of trying some kimber powerkords. I will also consider the audioquest & shuyata power cords. Thanks for the replys.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:14 pm »
I have tried some Nordost Shiva powerkords on my bryston 7bsst's they were excellent on the mid band and upper range but made the bass sound very thin. I am know thinking of trying some kimber powerkords. I will also consider the audioquest & shuyata power cords. Thanks for the replys.

The gutwire g clef have excellent bass extension too. Not as nice as the powerclef but they are still avail and not discontinued by manufacturer. Cheaper new too at around $350 or so.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:38 pm »
i don't see why an amp needs a cable thicker than my arm when the outlet it is plugged into is connected to an eroded piece of copper wire sitting in my walls, which is connected to a powermeter (that is not exactly noise free and does not stop any "pollution" coming in through the network), which is in return connected to another piece of copperwire several feet deep in the ground.
also, tests have shown it really doesn't matter whether you use the cable that came with the amp, or one that was built by elves under the third full moon of the maja year.

I agree.

werd

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2010, 10:52 pm »
I agree.

Vegas if you heard your 4B with the gutwire powerclef square you would be thinking twice. That gutwire cable was freaky with my 4B.

rmurray

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:49 am »
I have added the Nordost Vishnu to all the compoments. I can say the reports are all true and has had the most overall positive effect on the BP 25 and the BCD-1. The base became a bit more dynamic as well as improved soundstaging. I also sense smoother highs on some prviously strident recordings. Not cheap but worth the price in my steup. :thumb:

mannyjarnail

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2010, 02:41 pm »
I have added the Nordost Vishnu to all the compoments. I can say the reports are all true and has had the most overall positive effect on the BP 25 and the BCD-1. The base became a bit more dynamic as well as improved soundstaging. I also sense smoother highs on some prviously strident recordings. Not cheap but worth the price in my steup. :thumb:

Have you compared the vishnus against the shiva powercords? If so was the difference significant?

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2010, 11:21 pm »
Vegas if you heard your 4B with the gutwire powerclef square you would be thinking twice. That gutwire cable was freaky with my 4B.

Ok, send me one. haha.

Napalm

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2010, 11:07 pm »
Ok, send me one. haha.

Napalm Cables. Will set your speakers on fire. Interested?

Nap.  :tempted:

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2010, 08:04 pm »
haha. No way, man.

rmurray

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2010, 03:36 am »
Yes. Mannyjarnail, I have compared them. I first got a Shiva and then as coin allowed I attained the Vishnus. I found , by progression through each component, that the Vishnu did all that Shiva does but  a bit more. The bass end became fuller and slightly more dynamic mainly on the preamp (BP 25). Generally the same but noticably deeper soundstaging was apparent. I use the Shiva on my Bray player which has increased colour and resolution over the stock cord. By what ever physics are at work here they seem good companions to my Bryston gear.   ( holy cow, I think that rhymes!) :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2010, 02:06 pm »
Yeh, I have those wires too. They do what they're made to do. I feel money well spent.   :)

mannyjarnail

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2010, 06:54 pm »
Yes. Mannyjarnail, I have compared them. I first got a Shiva and then as coin allowed I attained the Vishnus. I found , by progression through each component, that the Vishnu did all that Shiva does but  a bit more. The bass end became fuller and slightly more dynamic mainly on the preamp (BP 25). Generally the same but noticably deeper soundstaging was apparent. I use the Shiva on my Bray player which has increased colour and resolution over the stock cord. By what ever physics are at work here they seem good companions to my Bryston gear.   ( holy cow, I think that rhymes!) :thumb:

Thanks for the information know i will just have to try a nordost vishnu.