Cornet Finished (Finally)

GRD

« on: 7 Feb 2004, 08:01 pm »
Many thanks to all for sharing their project notes, recommendations and suggestions.  I’ve been listening to my Cornet (now in version 3.0) over the last week and didn’t once think about tweaking a thing.  It sounds terrific.  I changed out C7 and C8 for Multicaps, added an Auricap in C5 and a Jensen Copper in C6.  I also put in some Riken Ohms in the signal path.  Each change was subtle but the Riken Ohm/C8 capacitor change had the single most positive benefit.  Since I did the Riken/C8 change at the same time, I don’t know if the differences were due to the resistors or capacitor or both.  I went with the Jensens’ mostly for the experience since this capacitor has such a following.  

For those on a budget, I thought the Auricaps that I originally had in C6 sounded just fine.  Also, the JJ AU and AX tubes sound great and it takes some tube rolling to get better.  And the rectifier does make a difference.  

This was a great learning project that I truly enjoyed and I’m awaiting the debut of the “Clarinet”.

If anyone has specific questions, I’ll be glad to provide my perspective.

Grover

« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2004, 12:01 am »
Congratulations on finishing the Cornet!.  I'm in the research phases of my Cornet build and I've found your past posts to be extremely helpful.
It sounds like the process was a lot of fun.

Is there any chance you might post some photos of your Cornet?  It's nice to see how others have implemented it.
Did you do the star grounding at C13 on top of or underneath the circuit board?

GRD

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2004, 02:29 am »
Grover,

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, it was a lot of fun and a good learning experience thanks to the help I got from the posters on this forum.  Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, but my unit initially looked prettly much like the photos in the the manual with the exception of the added capacitors.  Yes, the Jensens will fit.  (OK, I gave in to capacitor envy after seeing the other projects.)

I followed the tips page on Jim's web site for the grounding and CCS.  I did the star grounding above the board with the "big solder ball".   The Cornet in stock form with this grounding scheme is dead quiet.  I know others have done it differently and also have noted how quiet it is.

As a closing comment, I spent time reading the posts in this forum and at AA before chosing to build the Cornet.  Although customization and modification is part of the fun of the DIY experience, I think the Cornet is an excellent phono stage in stock form (as specified in Jim's manual).  

Regards,

Grant

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2004, 04:13 pm »
GRD,

Glad to hear everything is working fine.  It is amazing how similar our Cornets are.  I too have Jensens in C6, Rikens in the signal path, and Multicaps on C7 and C8.  All other caps are Hovlands and the electrolytics are Panasonic.  I agree, the Cornet in stock form is a great phono preamp but the wonderful thing about this phonostage is that every tweak you will add results in a very positive way.  Since I was using a low output MC before, I directly coupled 2 Lundahl step-up transformer inside the chassis alongside the 2 Jensens.  Incredible!!  Although I'm still waiting for my new TT (Teres), it is good to know that the phono pre is ready and able.  Thanks once again for helping me with the CCS upgrade.  Happy listening.