Eastern Electric DAC mods

Gopher

Re: Eastern Electric DAC mods
« Reply #360 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:35 pm »
A fellow ACer bailed me out while my 845 SETs are down, by loaning me a Redgum RGi120 integrated amp.  The thing sounds really darn good too...

Having a functional system again I was able to have Berto over to compare his Modwright modified Transporter to my Bolder modded Minimax.

We were using different power cables on the units and his was wired to the integrated by a Wywire V2 interconnect while I used an original Wywire Hot Sauce IC. 

I've gotta say, things were very close.  Detail retrieval was very close though I might give the edge to the Bolder MM--this was particularly noticeable in how it resolved highhats, sound staging was similar though the Modwright may get the nod there, the BMM was more relaxed and analog sounding while the Modwright was a little more forward sounding like very good digital.

I think the BMM had just a little bit better midrange palpability/texture than the MW and overall was slightly more refined and up my alley, but I could see the choice between the two being a matter of personal preference as I don't think either had a large advantage in any one category.

Overall I think I do prefer listening to the Minimax and its certainly a lot less expensive and less 'awkward' looking than the MW...  That says a lot as the cost of the Transporter alone (before mods) exceeds the cost of the BMM.

FWIW I was using a 1950s Mullard Long plate in my BMM--I still need to keep experimenting with the Pavane and Silverplate I have on hand--I'm now preferring the Mullard to my Silverplate--the Pavane has improved from my earlier feelings (changing fuse orientation helped) but I'm not quite sold on it yet.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #361 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:48 pm »
A fellow ACer bailed me out while my 845 SETs are down, by loaning me a Redgum RGi120 integrated amp.  The thing sounds really darn good too...

Having a functional system again I was able to have Berto over to compare his Modwright modified Transporter to my Bolder modded Minimax.

We were using different power cables on the units and his was wired to the integrated by a Wywire V2 interconnect while I used an original Wywire Hot Sauce IC. 

I've gotta say, things were very close.  Detail retrieval was very close though I might give the edge to the Bolder MM--this was particularly noticeable in how it resolved highhats, sound staging was similar though the Modwright may get the nod there, the BMM was more relaxed and analog sounding while the Modwright was a little more forward sounding like very good digital.

I think the BMM had just a little bit better midrange palpability/texture than the MW and overall was slightly more refined and up my alley, but I could see the choice between the two being a matter of personal preference as I don't think either had a large advantage in any one category.

Overall I think I do prefer listening to the Minimax and its certainly a lot less expensive and less 'awkward' looking than the MW...  That says a lot as the cost of the Transporter alone (before mods) exceeds the cost of the BMM.

FWIW I was using a 1950s Mullard Long plate in my BMM--I still need to keep experimenting with the Pavane and Silverplate I have on hand--I'm now preferring the Mullard to my Silverplate--the Pavane has improved from my earlier feelings (changing fuse orientation helped) but I'm not quite sold on it yet.

What tubes were being used with the Modwright TP?

This can have a big impact on the sound.

George

Berto

« Reply #362 on: 22 Feb 2011, 07:19 pm »
Awkward looking :o  I do admit the tall octal adaptors are a lil awkward for my BTs but the skyscraping mesh EML balances it out. Its pretty much the size of a reg audio component. IMO on my rack a small dac would look awkward compared to the size of my other components. To each is own  :)

I do agree with your sound assessment.  It was impressive and prob due to the newer chip tech. (sabre I think it is) plus mods your source was more resolving in critical listening. And I do mean critical as my blood sugar level was depleting I had to ask which source we were listening too :oops:

FWIW my speaks are a tad warmer then yours so the more fwd presentation, seems well , less fwd in my rig. 

Was a pleasure meeting Fred and look fwd to hanging again :thumb:

PS. Forgot too mention FWIW I added a audio magic pulse gen box and furutech fuses as well. Was skeptical but def got better resolution w/the fuses in place.

mjosef

« Reply #363 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:01 am »
Good info here.  After hearing Wayne's DAC, I can't listen to my stock EE DAC anymore.    :duh:   :lol:

Unfortunately I don't share that feeling.  :lol:
I can still listen to my DAC and enjoy the music. Cheaper to keep her as is.   :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #364 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:59 am »
Unfortunately I don't share that feeling.  :lol:
I can still listen to my DAC and enjoy the music. Cheaper to keep her as is.   :thumb:

I am talking about listening to the tube output. ;)  Wayne didn't do much on the SS output.  Hee hee...I want it to be on par with my Esoteric universal player.  To each his own.

Gopher

« Reply #365 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:28 am »
Awkward looking :o  I do admit the tall octal adaptors are a lil awkward for my BTs but the skyscraping mesh EML balances it out. Its pretty much the size of a reg audio component. IMO on my rack a small dac would look awkward compared to the size of my other components. To each is own  :)

I didn't mean it in a negative way!  Awkward =/= ugly.   

But the symmetry of the unit is definitely off and it may be difficult to work into some racks (like mine).

With the exception of my Jasmine phono pre, and to some my Shindo pre (I think it looks gaudy), none of my components are particularly sexy...  Just sayin'   :lol:

Berto

« Reply #366 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:23 am »
Guess I never heard "awkward looking" as a compliment before :wtf:

That EE you got is one helluva source, and if you can be as so kind as to bring it over, I won't mind how awkward she looks :lol: Sexy is appealing at first, but her skillset and personality is what will keep us happy in the long run :idea:

grodri02

« Reply #367 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:00 pm »
I just put in an order for this DAC....cant wait.

Question: I just bought a Jolida 302brc tube amp and Im loving it. I listen to music strictly from my PC and currently I run a coax spif cable (about 50 feet) from my Audigy 2 ZS sound card to my Onkyo 905 Home theater receiver that serves as a DAC for now. Then I connect to my jolida by RCA cables. Now that this new DAC is coming, should I upgrade my sound card? Or should I get one USB to SPIF converter? Or should I just connect USB straight to the DAC since I dont listen to any 24 bit and just listen to downloaded MP3s or FLAC.

Wayne1

« Reply #368 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:49 pm »
I feel 50 feet is a bit too long a run for either sp/dif or usb. I would suggest using a SqueezeBox Touch as an interface. Run Ethernet from your router or computer to the SB and a shorter sp/dif cable to the EE DAC. I think you will find the MP3s to not sound very good at all. The DAC does expose all the flaws in your source and it does reward you when you feed it higher resolution material.

Berto,

To answer George's question, were you using Black Treasure CV181-Zs on tube adapters with the EML mesh plate for a rectifier?

Thanks,
Wayne

Levi

« Reply #369 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:19 pm »
Congrats! 

I agree with Wayne.

A SqueezeBox Touch would be the better alternative if you don't want to move the computer closer.  At the minimum, you will have a good sounding EE DAC to start.  The rest will follow.

Just an FYI, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters.  Likewise, low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).  If you choose to go longer, you may experience dropped or inconsistent signal.

grodri02

« Reply #370 on: 24 Feb 2011, 04:28 pm »
I feel 50 feet is a bit too long a run for either sp/dif or usb. I would suggest using a SqueezeBox Touch as an interface. Run Ethernet from your router or computer to the SB and a shorter sp/dif cable to the EE DAC. I think you will find the MP3s to not sound very good at all. The DAC does expose all the flaws in your source and it does reward you when you feed it higher resolution material.

Berto,

To answer George's question, were you using Black Treasure CV181-Zs on tube adapters with the EML mesh plate for a rectifier?

Thanks,
Wayne

Bummer...most of my music is 128kbps and above MP3s with some good albums that are FLAC. Should I just get a dacmagic that upsamples? Now Im not so happy that I might hear it worse with this ee dac...at minimum, I would think I should hear the same on what I currently have now (PC to my onkyo 905 Receiver)

Gopher

« Reply #371 on: 24 Feb 2011, 04:37 pm »
grodri02 ,

For the DAC or for Waynes mod package? 

People always say that burn in is required and to be patient with a product, but usually you can get a feel for a piece pretty quickly and decide whether it suits your taste.  Not so much with this DAC--I had periods of praise and remorse for hundreds of hours, before settling into complete satisfaction.

Wayne's work is special--just be sure to give it enough time to come into its own.

Wayne1

« Reply #372 on: 24 Feb 2011, 04:52 pm »
grodri02,

You cannot improve what is not there. Upsampling will not do anything to make 128K sound better.

You have to start with the best possible source material to really appreciate what this DAC can do. It will expose the poor high frequency response and limited dynamic range of MP3.

If you use full resolution FLAC ripped with something like dBPowerAmp, the files will sound fantastic. 24/96 FLAC even better.

For me, listening to recordings made in the 50's and 60's, done in one take and through all analog gear, sound the absolute best. There is a naturalness to the recording that even current, top end digital cannot come close to. I do have some files that I transcoded to 256K MP3 for use in my car. If they come on my main system while on a random play, I quickly skip over them. They are very unpleasant to listen to.

This thread is mostly about the modded EE DAC. If you wish to discuss different DACs or just the stock EE DAC, I suggest you post in a different thread. Perhaps the Discless Circle would be the best place.

NickS

« Reply #373 on: 27 Feb 2011, 06:11 pm »

This weekend I had the opportunity to compare the Bolder EE DAC with Phase 1 mods to my stock unit.  In the picture above the two units appear identical.  That ceases when their power is switched on.

A W4S STP-SE preamplifier made switching between the two DACs seamless and immediate.  In solid state mode the output of the DACs was identical and required no line leveling.

Concurrent sources to the DACs included a Logitech Touch for FLACs and OPPO BDP-95 for redbook CDs.

The stock EE DAC has proven to be an exceptional addition to my rack providing many hours of enjoyment.  I began the comparison first with the stock unit and was greeted with its wide soundstage and great dynamics.  Switching to the Bolder modded unit snapped everything into a finer focus with a much cleaner presentation.  There was a more solid foundation to the music in the mid bass area that was entirely without bloat or over emphasis.  An improved sense of space became apparent particularly with high frequencies that had a pleasing shimmer and sparkle without a hint of sibilance.

Switching back to the stock unit was a bit of a shock as these newfound qualities diminished.  However, the soundstage appeared a bit wider but not quite as detailed.

Comparing the two DACs with the tube stages engaged required that the Bolder unit have its volume reduced to about the 3 o clock position.  I never heard a tube output generate so much energy and dynamics, particularly with the high frequencies.  It is in this area that Wayne's efforts produce their most significant results.

Both units react favorably to quality power cords and I/C's, but the modded unit always presented more elegantly without regard to a variety of cabling combinations.

In summary, it is impossible not to prefer the sound of the Bolder modded EE DAC.  Wayne’s work represents a significant improvement to an already excellent piece in its stock form and offers a clear path for those wishing to get the most out of their unit. 

Very highly recommended...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #374 on: 27 Feb 2011, 06:33 pm »
Nice comparisons NickS.  Thanks.

Jon L

« Reply #375 on: 27 Feb 2011, 07:26 pm »
Nice impressions.  Were the tubes kept the same with both DAC's for comparison?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #376 on: 27 Feb 2011, 09:13 pm »

This weekend I had the opportunity to compare the Bolder EE DAC with Phase 1 mods to my stock unit.  In the picture above the two units appear identical.  That ceases when their power is switched on...............

Are the individual tubes in each unit (at least almost) identical (meaning same brand, type, model....), so they be MORE on the Apple-To-Apple plateau?

NickS

« Reply #377 on: 27 Feb 2011, 10:21 pm »
In an effort to adhere to the original premise of this tour, namely to compare the modded DAC to the stock EE unit, the initial listening sessions were performed with my DAC in its virginal state regarding fuse, tube and op-amps.  I did, however, utilize my usual and customary power cord on the stock DAC and Wayne's excellent Nitro cable on the modded unit.

During subsequent comparison sessions I engaged one of my Pavane tubes into my otherwise stock DAC.  So profound are Wayne's mods to the tube output stage circuit that this contributed little, if any, substance for my comparative conclusions.

Simply stated, the stock EE DAC cannot perform at the level of the Bolder modded unit, no matter which tube is selectively rolled into it.

Berto

« Reply #378 on: 27 Feb 2011, 10:25 pm »

Berto,

Thanks,
Wayne

Yes , If you check out one of my prev posts I did confirm that exact tube compliment. 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #379 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:54 am »
In an effort to adhere to the original premise of this tour, namely to compare the modded DAC to the stock EE unit, the initial listening sessions were performed with my DAC in its virginal state regarding fuse, tube and op-amps.  I did, however, utilize my usual and customary power cord on the stock DAC and Wayne's excellent Nitro cable on the modded unit.

During subsequent comparison sessions I engaged one of my Pavane tubes into my otherwise stock DAC.  So profound are Wayne's mods to the tube output stage circuit that this contributed little, if any, substance for my comparative conclusions.

Simply stated, the stock EE DAC cannot perform at the level of the Bolder modded unit, no matter which tube is selectively rolled into it.

The premise was to really asses the sonic differences between the 2 units, so the SAME tube in both units would make the contrasting results more meaningful.  If one puts a seriously inferior tube in the modded unit, then the comments might/would be different/