Solid State Amplifier

macrojack

• Restricted
Solid State Amplifier
« on: 26 Apr 2010, 01:21 am »
I'm considering hiring JohnK to build me some passive crossovers for my horns. For this purpose he says I need solid state amplification of at least 20 watts per channel and stable to 2 ohms or lower. Please don't mess up my thread with the merits of tubes. I'm not interested. The question is about solid state amplifiers. Since I don't need much power, I'm hoping to buy a very high end, ultra stable amp. So let's hear from you about SS. What would be good?
I already have a Perreaux PMF 1850, a 60 watt CLASSD Audio amp, and a Parasound A-23.
Do any of those sound like they would meet my needs?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Solid State Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2010, 01:36 am »
This is a question to run past JohnK: Can you use an autoformer to adjust your impedance for his crossover circuit? If so, then any amplifier could be used to drive it and they're economical.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2010, 01:56 pm »
You can't go wrong with Bryston.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:17 pm »
Nelson Pass.  :thumb:

charles

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:24 pm »
I have an Accuphase A20 somewhere in my storage.  It's class a 20 watt.  You can try it if you want.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:35 pm »
I'm considering hiring JohnK to build me some passive crossovers for my horns.

Why do you think you want to do that?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:06 pm »
Jason - Good question. The answer lies somewhere in my frustration with digital devices. I think they are marvelous in their capabilities but the learning curve frustrates the shit out of me. There are so many variables. I need a step by step guide or a visit from someone who has this stuff mastered.
The potential performance level of these speakers is off the charts but I'm beginning to wonder if I have the ability to harness it.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:06 pm »
Woodsyi - I sent you a PM.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm »
Because these horns are 109 db efficient, I need very quiet amplification. I never realized just how quiet until I owned them.
I'm thinking very low power, class A, fully balanced so Woodsyi's offer might be very instructive as it represents exactly what I think will work.
If it doesn't work, I'll be in the market for a quart of hemlock. I hope that comment doesn't get my thread moved to the Culinary Circle.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:29 pm »
Jason - Good question. The answer lies somewhere in my frustration with digital devices. I think they are marvelous in their capabilities but the learning curve frustrates the shit out of me. There are so many variables. I need a step by step guide or a visit from someone who has this stuff mastered.
The potential performance level of these speakers is off the charts but I'm beginning to wonder if I have the ability to harness it.

Ahh.  Guess the XTA isn't very intuitive.   :duh:

Sell it, puchase an Ashly and call them and they will walk you through on the phone.
You can even call them or email them and confirm that they will help (I know they will as I've asked). 

Just a thought. 

There is no doubt that a passive network can be great if done properly.  The only thing that concerns me is that you're going to spend a bit of money on this project.  By the time you measure where they are and voice the speaker it's not cheep. 

It would actually be less to pay someone to come help you setup the active crossover then to build the passive crossovers.  If you ever decided to change speakers (horns) it's just a reset of the active rather then replacing the passive. 

Again, just a thought.   :)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2010, 07:26 pm »
Not sure about the XTA. It could be that I'm not very intuitive. In any case, your thoughts are valid and have given me pause in ordering a passive solution. The crossover as bid would cost $1600 and have 0 resale potential unless it sold with my speakers. I'm seeing it as an unacceptable risk.

So, Jason, have you ever been to Colorado?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2010, 10:21 pm »
I'm seeing it as an unacceptable risk.

So, Jason, have you ever been to Colorado?

I agree.   :thumb:

Yes, I have and planed on moving but life has a strange way of taking different directions as times.  As much as I want to say yes, I just can't.  My spare time is so limited...there's got to be someone in your area that can help or if the Horn guy (AH) can setup the active if you sent it to him.  There's a way we just go to figure it out. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:05 pm »
Very quiet low powered SS makes me think of looking into Red Wine Audio.  I haven't personally heard Vinnie's gear, so take that with a grain of salt.

Not sure about stability to 2 ohms, but battery powered gear should be pretty quiet.  A lot of his customers use high effeciency speakers.

Vinnie's very good about answering questions and seems very honest.  I saw a thread or two where he said his gear wouldn't do what a customer was asking.  I'd say ask him over in his circle.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2010, 10:24 am »
Keep it simple! McIntosh used autoformers in the MC250 & MC2100 solid state amplifiers. They work great and are efficient. Edcor makes autoformers and they can be made to work down to whatever impedance you want.

Use the amps that you own and try a pair.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2010, 06:48 am »
Anything from Rotel will be fantastic. And you can get incredible deals on Audiogon.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:34 pm »
O.K. For the time being, at least, I'm dropping the idea of passive crossovers and going ahead with active bi-amping. Woodsyi is sending me an amplifier which sounds like it may be ideal for the horns. What is my ideal amplifier for 500 hz. and down? The woofers are RCF L15P530 in a 5 cu. ft. vented cabinet. I think they are about 94-96 db efficient. Crossover frequency between horn and woofer will probably wind up somewhere between 300 and 500 hz. Please remember solid state only with a preference for XLR connections if not true balanced. Which bass amp do I want?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:38 pm »
Great mj!

Who's setting up the active?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2010, 09:43 pm »
At the moment I am back to using my Drive Rack. After I have reached my next equipment plateau, I will either find somebody who can set up the XTA for me or fumble with it myself again. Good summer project that won't cause sunburn.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2010, 10:30 pm »
At the moment I am back to using my Drive Rack. After I have reached my next equipment plateau, I will either find somebody who can set up the XTA for me or fumble with it myself again. Good summer project that won't cause sunburn.

Ok.  Just be sure to make sure the levels are set when you change gear.