MF V-dac meets Matrix mini

batmanslc2

MF V-dac meets Matrix mini
« on: 25 Apr 2010, 09:58 pm »
So I have been living with the Matrix mini-I dac for about a week and it has performed flawlessly.  I wanted to compare this to some other popular dacs and found a used Musical Fidelity V-Dac with Pyramid PS-3kx power supply so I grabbed it.  The std wall wart was not in the package so I cannot comment on that sound.   It looks like amazon sells the pyramid for around $20.00

For whatever reason, I was thinking the V-Dac would be my preference because:
1.   I have a MF pre amp I really like
2.   MF seems to consistently design and build great sounding stuff
3.   The small dac footprint would fit well in my rack
4.   I don’t need or want anything other than a dac

So got things hooked up and push play>>> right away, very good sound.  Let things get warmed up for a few hours and I like what I’m hearing, very very similar to the matrix, which is promising.  Compared to OPPO stock (see details in previous post below) better soundstage, depth, tone, drive and overall presence. 

After a day and eve of on and off listening, my impression was maybe not quite as much detail, or live impact.  So today I switched back and forth with a few different tracks from J Taylor Oct Road.  Soundstage was equal, but the Matrix was a touch better at: that Drum impact noted in original posting, more aliveness> impact, DETAIL of everything on the recording and air and space around the voice & instruements.  There also seemed to be more texture to the notes.  At his point the detail in not over hyped or to ‘hot’, but then again I’ve only had it a week or so. 

Again this was not by a huge margin, but enough for me to keep the matrix and say good bye to V-Dac for the time being.  I can see why vdac has received so much great press, from my limited experience, it sounds awesome. 

There are still a few more I would like to try, so as I find them, I will continue to update.  For those of you thinking dac>>> just do it.  Oh I need to thank all those at HEAD-FI for the dedicated source forum that has a huge amount of stuff on dacs.  That is where I first found the matrix.  My only issue is I am just not a headphone guy, period end of story. 

System:  Oppo 983 > Matrix mini-I dac> MF A3cr preamp> Quad 12L active (w diffractionbegone pads) av123 MFW-15 sub, porter ports, PS audio duet, audio art interconnect, iron lung jelly fish PCords, red dragon digital IC

For reference is my previous post :
I wanted to post a quick review of the Matrix Mini-i Dac and get the word out on this amazing dac.  Ok this is my first outboard dac and I am really blown away by the performance of this unit that sells for $375 from Pacific Valve. 

My main source for cd playback is Tosh 9200 or a Oppo 983, with my preference overall being the Tosh even though it is around 6 or 7 years old (stereophile class a fwiw back in the day).  I’ve been researching the digital forums on dacs and have been curious about the slew of new offerings in the market.  At this point I am using the tosh and oppo as transports feeding the dac.  No music on a hardrive (yet).

I was about to order a MF V-dac to get started down this road and then the Matrix popped on agon so I grabbed it after reading some good stuff at head-fi.   So it arrived and got it wired up to feed my MF A3cr preamp out to Quad 12L active monitors with an mfw-15 subwoofer. ….. then a BIG SMILE came over my face as I listened. 

Wow, no question more of everything was coming through…. First off had to dial back the sub a touch, STRONG bass.  Detail is improved, as is body and drive of the music.  Soundstage is what I always look for and the width is the same, but the depth and air around each instrument is better.  Highs are sweet and all the feeling, force is much more ALIVE.  I can’t seem to hear anything over hyped or downside at this point.  The musical presence in the room is amazing (not sure if that is the best way to described it) it just sounds more LIVE.  I guess that may be the increase in dynamics and the transient edges of the notes that are apparent.  Every disc I play is improved

Also, I listen a lot while I am in other rooms of the house such as kitchen or office.  I still can hear the improvement so I would not describe it as subtle. 

The sound of DRUMS of all types are amazing, the drums are in my room! 
So now I will start ordering some other dacs to try, I am very impressed and amazed at this one, ah but you know the vice,,, need to try more.  Still want to try a v-dac, ps DL3 and others under $500.

Music: Pat Barber, J Johnson/on and on, Clapton/reptile, Brubeck/Time out, S McLachlan/afterglow,

Other dac suggestions are welcome.

evan1

evan1

Re: MF V-dac meets Matrix mini
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:35 pm »
here is another link, but cheaper direct from CHINA

http://www.pacificvalve.us/MatrixBalanced.html

mrhyfy

Re: MF V-dac meets Matrix mini
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:16 pm »
I too have a matrix mini dac and I am very impressed!  I have recently had a PS Audio Dac 3,Benchmark Dac  and a Cambridge Audio 840 C in my system. The matrix mini compares well with all of them at 1/3 the price!  I am using it with the balanced outputs which sound better than the unbalanced (IMHO)