Cell Phone Madness!

Lyndon

Cell Phone Madness!
« on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:31 am »
I look at the cell phone market and am overwhelmed. 
It looks like people are fed up with the long term (2 year) contracts, and the hidden costs for data plans, wifi,
tethering, etc.  Many are buying their phones outright, and entering into monthly contracts with the company of their choice.  Locked phones, unlocked phones... :?
Around Salt Lake City, Verizon seems to be the choice for good service, and one of their current deals is for a Palm Pre Plus for free, but their 2 year contract would be $70/month and more for texting.
Sprint seems to be offering the best price for their 2 year contract, but most of their phone models are found wanting by the public, older Android models, and the Palm Pre instead of the Plus.  They claim they will remedy this on May 29th, with the HTC Evo 4GS. I bet that phone will cost upwards of $300 as well.
http://gizmodo.com/5500343/sprints-htc-evo-the-first-ever-4g-phone-meet-the-new-terrific
I don't have the luxury of working for a place that subsidizes phones. In fact, I can't even use the wifi at work
if I have a phone that can do that.
What do you guys use, what contracts, and what have you found to be the happy middle of the road for cell phones?
Lyndon

JakeJ

Re: Cell Phone Madness!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2010, 07:37 am »
Good question!  I am frustrated with AT&T due to cost, poor customer service, and dropped calls.  I had Nextel and was very happy but when Sprint bought them it went to hell in a handbasket.  I am paying and average of $85/mo. for a no data, 800 minutes/mo. plan and feel it isn't a good value.

I am thinking of trying Verizon next because those I have talked to say they don't have dropped calls.  Although the plan will cost about the same.  I also went to eBay to get the phones my dad and I currently have as the phones offered by AT&T sucked and I wasn't buying into the iPhone craze.  Both phones are AT&T locked phones but I didn't care as I knew I'd just dump 'em and get a provider locked phone the next time.

I only have one buddy in Seattle that has used T-Mobile on a monthly plan for years and he never has dropped calls.  Although he was forced to go with a plan when he added a phone for his daughter, and the costs are about the same as anyone else, he does plan to go back to monthly when she heads out for college.

Hopefully others will chime in with some alternatives.

Lyndon

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:35 pm »
Bump!
Thanks, JakeJ for some real feedback.
Maybe I should title this subject, "Cell Phones for Trial Tour-Best Phones in the World!"
It would certainly get more traffic. :icon_lol:
I know Levi loves his iPhone, and I have two other friends who are fans as well, but they are getting the sweet deal through their business to have it subsidized.
One wrote:
Dude, just get yourself an I-Phone. And don't forget it is 100% compatible with that i-Pad that every rich kid will be getting for Xmas!!! You'll soon need one of those too...
The iPad or something like it, does sound like the perfect music interface, with album covers almost full size again...perhaps the rebirth of album art? :o

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:28 pm »
Bump!
Thanks, JakeJ for some real feedback.

You're welcome

Maybe I should title this subject, "Cell Phones for Trial Tour-Best Phones in the World!"

No don't!!  The thread will go up in

It would certainly get more traffic. :icon_lol:
I know Levi loves his iPhone, and I have two other friends who are fans as well, but they are getting the sweet deal through their business to have it subsidized.
One wrote:The iPad or something like it, does sound like the perfect music interface, with album covers almost full size again...perhaps the rebirth of album art? :o

Hopefully there will be some useful info posted soon.

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:46 pm »
I thought maybe this thread was referring to some bogus Netlore that has been circulating again ... the gun disguised a s a cellphone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIjkBVEtyE

Lyndon

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:21 pm »
Gee, thanks, BobM.
Does that phone come with a contract, like a 5 year stretch in the slammer?
 :D :D :D

Back on topic, I am investigating Quad band pay as you go phones on eprey.  Then I could buy a prepaid SIM
card for the country I am in, and when back in the States, do the same thing.  Looks like Tmobile minutes are the cheapest, at least cheaper than Tracfone minutes.
Not as sexy at the iPhone or the HTC Evo, but not $1200 a year for 2 years either.  What kind of preamp could I buy with that extra dough? :o

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:26 pm »
Or how much music?

Lyndon

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:36 pm »
JakeJ,
Now where is the Zune Phone, so I can join their MS tune store and download an unlimited amount of new music?
I like the fact that it has a better screen and I think it has an HDMI out for 720p video output.  I don't think the
iTouch has that.
Toys, toys, toys... 8) 8) 8)

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2010, 06:26 pm »
Is this what you're taking about?

Looks very cool!  I need to do some more research.  However I'm sure it will be saddled with a ridiculous price tag as well as a contract.

Lyndon

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2010, 06:33 pm »
JakeJ,
If we are talking about the Zune HD, it is priced kinda high, but the monthly contract for music from MS is not
that bad.
The screen quality if very nice.
But most people, when they see the initial price for the Zune HD and the iTouch, opt for the iPhone for not much more, or in the Zune's case, I suppose an alternative, like that HTC Evo phone, which proposes to be an "everything" device.  I like how some people at AC are using the iTouch in conjunction with other devices to become their music interface with their hard drives of music.  I don't think the Zune has the apps for that, and that is a real shame.  I've been lurking on my local Craigslist for someone who wants to unload one, but no luck so far...

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2010, 08:31 pm »
For me it isn't the one time or contract for the phone it's the data plan and add ons.  I'll sign the two year contract, pay 2-300 for the phone pay the $40 a month for a few minuets that I use but the $30 per month for data (required) and $5 for texting, $10 for gps etc etc...that's what gets expensive.

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:20 pm »
You can pry my iPhone from my cold dead hands.

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:25 pm »
You can pry my iPhone from my cold dead hands.

I am so due (5 years) a new phone.  iphone is at the top of my list.  4th gen coming out.  What do you think will happen between att and verison?

Lyndon

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:37 pm »
Maxcast said:
When Verizon gets the Apple iPhone...
What do you think will happen between att and verizon?

That will be very interesting.  Will Verizon be 3/4 G capable in most networks?

ATT has had exclusive use for the past how many years? 
And you are right, it is the data plan plus extras that they really ding you with.
That is why people who use their phones quite a bit, buy these type of unlocked phones and go with much cheaper plans, because these "out of the grid" smartphones can access the data but not pay the premiums.
That is supposedly...
Nokia E72 Unlocked Quad-Band GSM Smartphone $275 sold by Dell
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1987204

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:09 pm »
I got 6 phones with unlimited data and 3000 shared minutes with free Sprint to Sprint calls.  That's $40 a phone with essentially unlimited voice and data. 

I use an HTC Touch Pro 2 which was freely exchanged for a Blackberry Curve that was accidentally dropped in a toilet as they were out of Curve at the moment.  I like this phone.  Sprint has vastly improved customer service recently.  :thumb: 

Lyndon

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:35 pm »
I am leaning more and more towards Sprint, Woodsyi.
I wonder if their phones, like the HTC are world phones, in the sense that they are quad band phones based, like the ATT and T-Mobile phones.

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:56 pm »
I am very happy with my Tracfone.  No muss no fuss, pay-as-you-go.  I got a very simple phone and a cheap plan.  Only $10 a month to keep it 'fed' with minutes\service time.  (Actually I'm down to the $6 a month time renewal since I banked more minutes than I'm using)  You will likely pay more if you use it more than I do, but it's still pretty cheap.  I don't need all the bells and whistles and Tracfone worked great for that.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:26 pm »
I am leaning more and more towards Sprint, Woodsyi.
I wonder if their phones, like the HTC are world phones, in the sense that they are quad band phones based, like the ATT and T-Mobile phones.

I don't know about the quad band stuff but I know that Touch Pro 2 can be used in Italy.  I plan to activate a plan for July (when we travel) which will make it $1.69 per min for international roaming instead of $1.99 without a plan. 

sts9fan

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:39 pm »
I think Verison will have the iphone soon.  I could be wrong though.  One thing I do like about AT&T is that when I travel to Europe I can use my phone.  Verizon can't. 

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2010, 05:03 pm »
Nathan,

Could you please tell me how you get the $6/month minutes?  I have been considering the Tracphone but I only see the $100/365 days (or 400 min) or $119/365 days with double minutes for life cards.

I rarely make long distance calls so I know I would accumulate mega-excess hours.  It is the time feature that would cost me significantly more than the value of my calls.  But there are a few times (like traveling) when I wish I had a cell for emergencies or local calling in my temporary location. $6/month would be worth considering for my limited use.

Disclosure:  Never had a cell phone so don't assume I understand anything. :dunno:

Living cell phone free.  :banana piano:

I am very happy with my Tracfone.  No muss no fuss, pay-as-you-go.  I got a very simple phone and a cheap plan.  Only $10 a month to keep it 'fed' with minutes\service time.  (Actually I'm down to the $6 a month time renewal since I banked more minutes than I'm using)  You will likely pay more if you use it more than I do, but it's still pretty cheap.  I don't need all the bells and whistles and Tracfone worked great for that.