NX2's are done

motosapien

NX2's are done
« on: 25 Apr 2010, 01:54 am »
Finished them about two weeks ago.  Sonicaps & No-Res.  Spaghetti strap bevel , hammered copper paint.  They are still breaking in.  They are opening up noticeably which is a relief as they have been somewhat vague sounding compared to my Epos MLS 8's which these are to replace. 

Danny Richie

Re: NX2's are done
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2010, 02:01 am »
Yeah, it takes a little bit for them to really open up.

Great looking finish.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:08 pm »
It looks great and makes wood veneer seem boring.

Was finishing the cabinet simply applying a couple of coats of hammered copper spray paint? How do you get the paint to be perfect on all sides?

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2010, 08:53 pm »
 Your new Neo 2X's look great. I like the hammered copper finish. Nice job. Danny is correct that it takes a while for them to really break in well and sound their best. Normally around 100 hours or more.

motosapien

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:42 pm »
It looks great and makes wood veneer seem boring.

Was finishing the cabinet simply applying a couple of coats of hammered copper spray paint? How do you get the paint to be perfect on all sides?

It's Rustoluem brand spray paint.  Used sanding blocks to get everything flush.   I used two "spit" coats before I painted.  For enamel paints use 2 parts polyurethane varnish to one part mineral spirits.  Sand with 280 grit and then give another coat and sand with 400 grit.  A third or fourth coat would probably let you finish with one can of spray paint, mine still soaked the paint up with only two coats.  Use a tack cloth between coats.  Make sure to get the cut edges of the mdf sealed well or they will show.

I found this particular paint needed to go on thicker than other spray paints I've used.  I like veneer but I didn't want to spend the money on it.  Good luck!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2010, 11:48 pm »
That is really impressive finish... spray can or no.  Good job. :thumb:

Plund

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2010, 12:24 pm »
Motosapien,   Thanks for sharing your finish schedule on your VERY NICE NX2's!

NeilT

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2010, 03:40 am »
Beautiful build Eric, if those Demos don't make it down soon fron the Bay area, I will have to come down and hear em.
Thanks for the pics.
Neil

Ron

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2010, 04:33 pm »
 What performance upgrade options did you go with when you built these?
Also, your impressions of their sound quality?