From 4B SST2 to 4B SST2

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
From 4B SST2 to 4B SST2
« on: 24 Apr 2010, 08:37 am »
MEMO: TO All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Upgrades for Bryston SST² Amplifiers

2. INPUT CAPACITOR CHANGE and FEEDBACK CAPACITOR CHANGE:
We also implemented the use of some very specialized capacitors in a number of key areas in the circuitry.  There is a consistent improvement at high frequencies near and  above 20K, and up to over 60KHz. These specialized capacitors are installed at both the input stage and the feedback loop of the amplifier circuitry.  These capacitor changes affect all new SST² amplifiers.

At Bryston we are continually trying to improve the performance of our products. Please be aware that these changes are 'evolutionary' not 'revolutionary' in nature. They will provide subtle to noticeable improvements depending on your specific system and setup.

I calculated how much it would cost me to ship my 4B SST2 back to Canada, have it upgraded and then have it shipped back, and just selling it seemed the more cost effective solution. So I went ahead and ordered a new 4B SST2, a black one (because my current -now old- silver one just doesn't match the rest of my equipment).

These are my experiences with my new toy, straight out of the box. I for one don't think the changes are "just evolutionary"...

I picked up my new 4B SST2 last thursday, and after dinner removed all sources of disturbance (birds, kids, girlfriend, the cats were okay to stay) from our listening room (which sometimes also functions as the general living room for some unknown reason).
I listened to three of my personal reference cd's to have a fresh memory of what they sound like, and then made the change to the new 4B SST2. I made sure the settings on the back of the new 4B SST2 were the same as they were on the old 4B SST2, plugged everything in and played the same 3 cd's, in the same order.

Remember, this is straight out of the box, basically no warming period.

The biggest change noticable is the bass. It is not more powerful, but it comes out much easier. As far as detail in bass can be noticed, it is more. It is deeper. It is more present.

The same can be said about the highs. There definitely is more sparkle to it. A cymbal can be heard in more detail, piano has extra depth, everything sounds a bit more "natural".

It's a shame really that human memory for sound (quality) is so poor, I would have loved to do this same comparisan again in a few weeks, when my new 4B SST2 is properly played in and accustomed to the local environment (current, cables, loudspeakers etc.). But I hope to have sold my old 4B SST2 by then...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: From 4B SST2 to 4B SST2
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:23 pm »
Cool. Thanks for your review. I'm still on SST1, though!

rob80b

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:26 pm »
Cool. Thanks for your review. I'm still on SST1, though!

Me too, a few more upgrades on the SST and we'll have to move on up.

Robert

vegasdave

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:40 pm »
I didn't think there were upgrades on SST1?

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:51 pm »
I didn't think there were upgrades on SST1?

"SST"-"SST2"_"SST2+"- +++++

Napalm

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:54 pm »
Just curious... if it's not a trade secret... was this upgrade just a switch to a different brand of capacitors, or was their nominal capacity changed (too)?

Nap.  :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:00 pm »
Just curious... if it's not a trade secret... was this upgrade just a switch to a different brand of capacitors, or was their nominal capacity changed (too)?

Nap.  :thumb:

We'll need James for that one.

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:11 pm »
"SST"-"SST2"_"SST2+"- +++++

I don't believe there are any upgrades to an SST model...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:43 pm »
4B SST-2 (sq) changes:

NEW POWER SWITCH AND MICRO SOFT START
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
INPUT CAPACITOR CHANGE
FEEDBACK CAPACITOR CHANGE
FULLY BALANCED IN BRIDGED MODE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

vegasdave

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:53 pm »
James, an SST can't be updated to an SST2, correct?

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:25 pm »
I don't believe there are any upgrades to an SST model...

Hi Dave,

Misunderstood your question, the SST has had a few changes when it went squared but retained the "SST" pre-fix, but as for user upgrades on the original SST, none that I'm aware of except for maybe the Faceplate to the "C" version.
What I meant to say that if Bryton impliments a few more inprovements over the original SST configuration, then, maybe, it will be time to move on up.

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:32 pm »
James, an SST can't be updated to an SST2, correct?

Correct

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2010, 09:54 pm »
Well, that kinda sucks, but I can deal with it. :D

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2010, 10:54 pm »
I'll DEAL WITH IT,i'LL JUST BUY ANOTHER ONE :lol:.

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:35 pm »
No, what I would do is bi-amp. Use the SST2 for the mid/hf, and the SST for the bass.

rob80b

« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:41 pm »
No, what I would do is bi-amp. Use the SST2 for the mid/hf, and the SST for the bass.
Quote    Anonamemouse  "Remember, this is straight out of the box, basically no warming period.  The biggest change noticable is the bass. It is not more powerful, but it comes out much easier. As far as detail in bass can be noticed, it is more. It is deeper. It is more present.  The same can be said about the highs. There definitely is more sparkle to it. A cymbal can be heard in more detail, piano has extra depth, everything sounds a bit more "natural".  

If indeed there is that much improvement best go with just the new one all round. 

Robert

vegasdave

« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:44 pm »
Not a bad idea. But, bi-amping can give you great results.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2010, 07:32 pm »
If indeed there is that much improvement best go with just the new one all round. 

Robert

Yes, there is. It has been amplifying my tuner signal about 16 hours a day for a few days now at a reasonable sound level, and i am positive the soundstage has improved. I have decided that if my old 4B SST2 has not sold in a week or two I'll hook it up again to see what the differences are then.

RandyH

« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2010, 08:28 pm »
I am confused.  What is the difference between your old 4b SST2 and the new 4b SST2?  I thought the older version was simply the SST and the newer one is the SST2 yet you seem to be talking about two different versions of the SST2. 

b5pt9

« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2010, 08:47 pm »
As I understand the SST2 has gone through several small evolutions including different transformers and more recently better capacitors also.  Give Bryston the s/n and they can confirm what parts are in any given SST2 amp.