AARGH! Need Advice on Repairing Inner Tube in Townshend Rock

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
A little while ago, I was in the process of installing a different armboard on my Townshend Rock MK 3. The armboard was thicker than the stock one, and I had to source different screws for it. I got ones that were slightly too long. and in the process poked a hole in the inner tube. Feel like a real idiot!

I know where the hole is, which is right below a bolt hole, I am hear it leak when I pressurize the inner tube.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to disassemble the table? Or is there a way to make the repair without taking it apart?

Any suggestions, or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards
Mister Pig

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
Re: AARGH! Need Advice on Repairing Inner Tube in Townshend Rock
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:08 am »
I pumped more air in the table to show my son where the leak was. I had heard it before quite plainly. This time there was no noise. The suspension raised up, and the low pressure sensor on the table turned off.

Wonder if there is a sealant in the tube? I removed the arm board one more time to see if I could access the damaged spot without dissassembling the table.The leak appeared to have been in the back left corner.

Other than putting a lot of air into the tube looking for the leak earlier, I did nothing else. I watched the suspension lift up and settle down, so there was a leak. How it repaired itslef I really am not sure. The only scenerio that makes sense is the tube contains a sealant, and it did its job.

Guess I am going to keep an eye on this and watch how it plays out. So far its been ok, hope I am past the worst of this.

Regards
Mister Pig

toobluvr

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:31 am »
Two years ago I had to repair a leak in my Townshend Rock 3 bladder.   Nightmarish all day job, but doable with patience.

Let me know if you need pointers/guidance.

If you punched a hole, it will eventually leak.  And it will eventually get worse and worse, but it may take years.  I didn't even know I had a hole till it progressed like this: for years I had to keep inflating every week or so (thought it was just normal)......  then every few days..... Then every day....then every few hours.   Obviously a leak.  At that point no choice but to dismantle the whole thing.  There was a leak where the valve stem met the tube.

Repair I did is holding up very well.  It only needs a single pump or two every 2 months or so.  Even when new the table did not hold air this well.  Probably had a tiny leak since day 1.

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:22 am »
Drop Florence a line at Townshend Audio. She should be able to help you guys out.

toobluvr

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:20 pm »
I don't need any help.  Mine has been repaired and fully inflated for 2 years now.
 :thumb:

Besides, it's pretty obvious how to get access to the tube if you need to.  Tenacity and brute strength is all that's needed.  Only so many ways to open up a clam with tons of glue holding everything together!      :o

jtsnead

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm »
I have one that would only stay inflated for a couple of hours.
Might have to get it out and try to repair if toobluvr did it.
Did you use a bicycle patch kit?

toobluvr

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2010, 01:00 pm »
Did you use a bicycle patch kit?

I did.