Aerosol cooking sprays

jlupine

Aerosol cooking sprays
« on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:25 pm »
Calphalon warns against using aerosol cooking sprays on nonstick surfaces, anodized surfaces, and stainless steel surfaces.  The culprit is the chemical propellant which is difficult to remove from cookware.  Instead, they suggest applying a little oil with a paper towel or spraying olive oil on with a mister.

Would you experienced cooks agree with this admonition ?

Jan

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Aerosol cooking sprays
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:34 pm »
Yes. There are many more pleasant ways to contaminate yourself. No PAM. No thanks.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:39 pm »
Yes, avoid the sprays - they taste bad and they are bad for you.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2010, 09:00 pm »
My wife likes and uses PAM and coconut oil based sprays.  No effect on the pans. 

Personally, I use butter, oil, or coconut oil, depending on application.   

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2010, 11:30 pm »
I cook meat or fish in coconut oil and veggies in olive oil (at lower heat).  Yummy!

jakelieb

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2010, 11:47 pm »
No more Pam. Got this for Christmas...use it in the kitchen and grilling too. We will save a bunch of money, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Keanall-Sprayer-Clear-Acrylic-Bottle/dp/B000SSRRWS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1272066222&sr=8-7

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:23 am »
I love Pam olive oil spray but what I don't use is nonstick teflon pans. Strictly stainless steel pots & pans, Pam olive oil spray is my friend.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

*Scotty*

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2010, 05:25 am »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:08 am »
I use the Mr.Misto non-aerosol sprayer.
http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Gourmet-Brushed-Aluminum-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=pd_sim_k_1

Scotty

Now THAT is too cool,,, thanks for posting this. Never heard of this before and it surely would  both healthier and cheaper to use than constantly buying aerosol sprays. I see myself getting one of these.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

edit: just got done reading the 37 1-star rating from all the people who have had the plastic spray mechanism fail after only 1 week to 2 months of use. It's a damn good idea but a high failure rate's a deal breaker for this big galoot.  :duh:

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:59 am »
I have been using my newest one for 3years straight with no problem. When you go to pump up the pressure in the sprayer you have to be aware of the fact that lip of the seal is plastic and pull the cap slowly straight up and push straight down to pressurize the reservoir. If you treat this like a bicycle pump and try to pump it up in a hurry you can break the lip that forms the seal and you are done. A little bit of care and it will last a very long time. My last Mr.Misto had an all acrylic reservoir and the bottom got cracked due to an impact during the last move thus causing it to leak oil out the bottom, I had it for 4 years before the movers broke it. The picture I posted shows the reservoir with a totally enclosed bottom made of  aluminum which makes very resistant to impact. It also doesn't take 50lbs. of pressure to spray effectively, 3to 5 pumps will do the job.
These sprayers work best with a 1/3 full reservoir of oil and 2/3 air above it.
Scotty

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2010, 12:08 pm »
I have a Misto also.  It works but I do find it a bit messy at times.  That could just be me though. 

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2010, 12:36 pm »
I find the Misto produces uneven coverage and rarely use mine these days. 

For eggs cooked in a non-stick pan, butter seems to me to provide the best coverage if you don't want to use an aerosol spray.  Coconut and other oils tend to pool.