Suggestions for TT

djbnh

Suggestions for TT
« on: 7 Feb 2004, 02:12 am »
I run a Stratos amp, and Tempest preamp (has phono section). I'm looking for suggestions for a turntable/cartridge combination that'll offer similar bang-4-the-buck. In advance, thank you for your reply.  :o

Rocket

tt suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2004, 02:39 am »
Hi,

I really like these turntable suggestion threads.

How much do you want to pay?

Which country do you live in?

If you live in the us i don't think you could go past the vpi turnables, they get great reviews.

If you live in the uk then rega or nottingham tt's would be a suggestion.

I live in oz and imported a Bluenote Piccolo Turntable for $850us which i think is pretty good.

anyway best of luck.

regards

rocket

djbnh

To the Man from OZ
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2004, 02:55 pm »
Dear Oz Rocket Rocket:

Thanks for the reply. There's nothing like receiving a smiling letter when you're feeling sick as a dog; I can see you've got a winning, giving attitude.

Anyway:

Price: I though I covered price range when I wrote, "I run a Stratos amp, and Tempest preamp (has phono section). I'm looking for suggestions for a turntable/cartridge combination that'll offer similar bang-4-the-buck." Klaus Bunge from Odyssey sells the Stratos and Tempest, each, for around $1,000 US (http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products.html). So, $1,000 US is the upper limit - including cartridge. Sorry my wording kept the inference out of your reach.

mcrespo71

Suggestions for TT
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2004, 05:27 pm »
Do you want new or used?

New- Rega Planar 3 2000 w/Dynavector 10X5 cartridge
MMF 7 comes with cartridge
VPI JR w/ Dynavector 10X5 cartridge

Used- more choices- Linn Basik, all the Rega's up to and including the P25, Linn LP12 w/out cartridge.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but I've heard all of the above and they are all excellent.

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue LP

djbnh

Re: New or used
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2004, 06:09 pm »
It does not matter to me if components are new or used. (However, if someone thinks this mindset is off base, please let me know.) Money IS ALWAYS an issue.

Thanks for your response.  :)

mcrespo71

Suggestions for TT
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2004, 07:46 pm »
What type of music do you listen to?

Michael

djbnh

Re: what type music
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:14 am »
My albums include classical, pop, rock, opera, jazz, blues. Hope that helps.

mcrespo71

Suggestions for TT
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2004, 04:33 am »
Ok, I would buy either a used Nottingham Horizon, Rega P25 used with cartridge, or a Rega Planar 3 2000 used with a cartridge.  I've heard them all and despite what some may say about Rega's lack of mass- shoddy looking build quality, these were definite steps Roy Gandy made to provide extremely good performance with basic materials.  Rega's get the musical message right.  On paper, the Music Halls and Project tables look like better values, with their outboard motors, acrylic platters,clamps, adjustable VTA and other more high end bells and whistles, but they are not nearly as involving as the Rega's playing music.  I think of this as "wannabee" turntables, in that they try to copy tried and true design concepts popularized by VPI, Basis, or Nottingham, but fail in the execution.  Rega's design concept is completely different than these in that it tries to dissipate energy instead of absorb, which is why they are so lightweight.

In sum, the Rega's are supremely good at conveying the musical message with incredible PRAT.  They are toe-tapping in the Linn/Naim tradition.  

The Nottingham is another excellent table.  A bit more refined than the Rega- with bigger soundstage and blacker backgrounds.  It, too, has great PRAT, though not quite up to Rega quality, but worlds better than Music Halls, etc.  This will cost you a bit more because Nottingham is a hot product right now.  

I think the most value, to be honest, is in getting a used P25 if you can find one.  I've owned it for 5 years and it is never, ever less than involving.

Just buy the best table possible for 1K and forget about it.  In this case, buy used.

Good luck.

Michael

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Suggestions for TT
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:42 am »
Here's the table Mike is talking about ... http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1081366285 ...looks like a new listing. :)

mcrespo71

Suggestions for TT
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2004, 06:56 am »
djnbh- The listing lonewolf just put up is an incredible bargain for $800.  The Rega P25 in mint condition with an Audio Note cartridge is just an amazing deal.  I really don't think you will find a better price/performance ratio than an $800 P25 with a great cartridge like this audionote.  If I were you, I would jump on this.  Thanks lonewolf for the find.  

Michael

Best of Crowded House- CD

djbnh

Thank you
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2004, 10:34 pm »
:thumb:  Thanks to all for their respective helpful comments + recommendations.  Your insights, and my budget, facilitated purchase of a used, well maintained Rega P25 that came with some extras including an Incognito VTA adjuster, at a fair price.

Now I'm looking for cartridge recommendations. I've read the reviews, in various arenas, related to the Dynavector 10x5. Recommendations for cartridges in a similar performance/price range are appreciated. FYI - I run an Odyssey Stratos amp and Tempest preamp, in case that information may be helpful.

Again, thanks to all for their respective comments and recommendations of the past; I'm looking for similar helpfulness in the future.  :D

djbnh

FYI - preamp information re: cartridge recommendations
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2004, 10:58 pm »
:oops:  I forgot to add the following information about the Tempest preamp. It may be helpful to those in the know, in possible cartridge recommendations. Quote is from Klaus Bunge, Odyssey's owner:

The Tempest has indeed both, MC and MM stages, selectable and switcheable. The MC stage has a standard 47 K, and I have used it with the 0.2 mV Symphonic Line RG 8 Gold with great success. Don't think that I'd go any lower than that, though. However, again, keep in mind that the Tempest is the $3,300 SL RG 2, which SL has been tweaked and improved for nearly 2 decades. Also keep inmind that Rolf is a die-hard analog lover (with one of the largest Opera - and classical voice collection I've ever seen, & old Jazz greats), and you'll have an idea that the phono section is actually one of the priorities of the preamp.

mmakshak

Complimenting you
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2005, 07:13 pm »
Great choice!

bunky

Re: Thank you
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:16 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
:thumb:  Thanks to all for their respective helpful comments + recommendations.  Your insights, and my budget, facilitated purchase of a used, well maintained Rega P25 that came with some extras including an Incognito VTA adjuster, at a fair price.

Now I'm looking for cartridge recommendations. I've read the reviews, in various arenas, related to the Dynavector 10x5. Recommendations for cartridges in a similar performance/price range are appreciated. FYI - I run an Odyssey Stratos amp and Tempest preamp ...
Hey dbjnh, i think Klaus gets good  deals on the dutch Vandenhul cartridges, the Germans love turntables, even the Symphonic Line cartridges are built from modified Vandenhul carts. he should be able to hook you up buddy. thanks....WCW III