Thinking about switching TV provider

rahimlee54

Thinking about switching TV provider
« on: 23 Apr 2010, 02:52 am »
So, I have cable now and I am thinking about switching to satellite so I was wondering if you guys have advice on whether or not to switch or not.  I have never had satellite but a few friends have it and love it.  Plus I can get another HD box or two for the same price.  Also places to get best deals if you know of any would be helpful.

Thanks
Jared

Mr Peabody

Re: Thinking about switching TV provider
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 05:18 am »
If you decide to switch keep watching for the advertisement blitz offering free install and X amount of boxes.  I've had cable and Dishnetwork.  Never got past an initial call in with DirecTv.  Our local cable company, Charter, has the worst customer service of any business ever conceived so I will reserve comparisons.  Some people I talk to have cable companies with cutting edge technology. 

You should check with AT&T website to see if U-verse is in your area.  It's fiber optic and supposed to be a great service.

A plus with cable if you have "cable card" feature on your HDTV you can get HD channels without having a separate box.  Also, most cable companies have free On-Demand programming.  Of course, with DVR's who misses a show any more.  My kids liked it, they could view their kids shows later in the evening.

Dishnet claims a true 1080p HD picture on some Pay-Per-View channels.

Really there are fundamental differences but it will most likely come down to who can offer you the programming you want at an acceptable price. 

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2010, 03:49 pm »
You can also download satellite Tv software on your pc...if you dont want to go with any company.

blownrx7

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2010, 04:24 pm »
You can also download satellite Tv software on your pc...if you dont want to go with any company.

Can you provide any details about this. Do you have it?
What has been your experience? How well does it work?
Can you get multiple programs?
TIA

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2010, 04:39 pm »
I went from cable to Directv. They both nickel and dime you for add on features. HD access is $10 more each month. Picture quality is good. They also provide local stations but in lower res. I am on the west coast and most of the channels I watch broadcast on east coast time slots. My past cable service was Comcast, and I would say both services are very similar in cost and quality.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2010, 04:49 pm »
I went from cable to Directv. They both nickel and dime you for add on features. HD access is $10 more each month. Picture quality is good. They also provide local stations but in lower res. I am on the west coast and most of the channels I watch broadcast on east coast time slots. My past cable service was Comcast, and I would say both services are very similar in cost and quality.

Comcast is charging me $10/month for an HD "upgrade".   One thing I always liked better about satellite is that the receivers are better, especially in the guide.  The Comcast receiver is crap.  I happen to use my ReplayTV guide, though, so I rarely use the Comcast receiver's guide (have to use, though, if watching true HD; my Replay is only standard def). 

Mr Peabody

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2010, 10:17 pm »
I currently have Dishnetwork and get my locals in HD.  I think all providers still charge a premium for HD content.

I'm not on the cutting edge of computer but last I heard current internet does not have the bandwidth to provide HD content.  Any one use the net connection with Netflix know if they can provide HD yet?  I know there are those out there who keep claiming internet will take over but I believe it will be some years before the net has the capacity to approach the job.

GHM

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2010, 11:00 pm »
I currently have Dishnetwork and get my locals in HD.  I think all providers still charge a premium for HD content.

I'm not on the cutting edge of computer but last I heard current internet does not have the bandwidth to provide HD content.  Any one use the net connection with Netflix know if they can provide HD yet?  I know there are those out there who keep claiming internet will take over but I believe it will be some years before the net has the capacity to approach the job.

Actually the bandwidth is there now. This is the only way the family and I watch TV programs, unless I catch it  OTA.
Netflix just started streaming in HD. You have other sites that have been doing it for quite a while now. FOX,ABC,CBS all stream HD. FOX seems to have most of the bugs worked out as I forget many times that I'm watching a program over the net when using it.

Quality really isn't bad on Hulu either. The 480P streams are decent and very watchable.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2010, 11:27 pm »
Well, closer than I thought :)  How's the audio on the HD feeds?  Any 5.1 where originally should be?

GHM

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2010, 12:13 am »
Not quite there yet with 5.1 audio. Its only stereo right now. I'm sure 5.1 is just around the corner.

jazzcourier

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2010, 05:45 pm »
With a new plasma TV and the prospects of going Hi-Def i approached my 13 year satellite company Dish network about providing me with an upgrade.Be aware that i said 13 years! When i first BOUGHT all the equipment and paid for the installation it was over 900 dollars.Two years later they were GIVING the stuff away.When i first hooked up it was only me and Hassan watching "Tehran tonight" on his Volkswagen sized sat dish.Things changed fast for the Sat industry and i was slow to give up my Sumo sized Hitachi,but pulled the trigger and got the TV i wanted.So on to the Dish Network phone tree i climbed,i knew i was going to get free equipment,but all i wanted them to do was match the Direct TV offer of free installation,i wore them down to 15.00 install fee PLUS a 5.99 a month service insurance charge,even those with little math skills would figure out that over the long term that does not bode well.So convinced i would reach someone who wanted to retain me as a customer i pursued the legendary "retention" operators three times.These people were by far the least diplomatic  and borderline rude and dismissive of all the operators in "customer service"-these were the people that were the last line of defense in keeping me as a customer? Hard to believe!
      It was with great pleasure that i picked up the phone and canceled the Dish service as the Direct TV installer walked into the house with my new HD boxes.My deal and two year contract included three rebates and for the first year will have more channels and be lower than the Dish package i had.The Direct TV people were nice and nicer and i am thrilled with the picture.What really won me over was the constant attempts to please a new customer and FIND added rebates and freebies to sweeten the deal.
      Honestly,changing Sat services and getting set up was far more time consuming and intricate than leasing a 30,000 automobile-i kid you not.
      After about 3 or 4 days the phone rang,my wife said "It's Dish Network" do you want to take this call? I said "Oh yeah"......i hope that guy was standing up because after about two minutes on the phone with me he would have an uncomfortable time sitting down,what with his new-you know what- and all.The funny thing is he said "i don't know what the problem was,we could of done an override on that,i said,do an override on this..........................