Beacon Two 6SN7 Tube Stereo Preamp Audition. Try our best preamp!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
The effects which you quoted do not apply. That's a great quality of the Beacon Two: Guaranteed power supply performance.

I agree with Blair in this. There is a lot that goes on with various power supply designs other than simply providing the proper voltages and currents. There are a dozen ways to build a power supply for any given circuit. I like what Blair is doing in his designs in regard to not stressing the tubes. There does have to be a happy medium though.

JakeJ

Oooo...we definitely need pictures of that!

I have no time constraints on the tour so shuffle me as needed by others that do.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Bill -

Wife is taking my son for a long weekend trip to NYC towards end of June, so I can wait till then, especially if you're getting slammed with new business.

I'll see what I can do. The shop is full now! Actually, both shops are. A little R&D was put in the middle of the orders- the new anti-resonant case. A NS-30SE (Special Edition) is being placed in it WITH a new capacitor package, DC filaments and the 1940's power supply upgrade.  :drool:

One of the neatest features: I am using 125 year old American Chestnut for the trim package! Talk about rare...

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
The wood sides will be ready by the end of this week or middle of next. I'll let you know how we're progressing. I'll be happy to arrange the tour to accommodate schedules.

etcarroll

Blair -

Sent my amp back to Bryston to correct some burnt resistors, may be without it for over a month, so please move me to the end of the list.

I am excited to hear your pre with the amp once I get it back.

Gene

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Can't wait to hear your impressions of the combination. I am still waiting on the wood. He's VERY busy and I caught him in the middle of a huge order.

Note: The Beacon Two has been used with linear solid state, Tripath and Class D Audio technology with admirable results. Naturally it works perfectly with tube amps as well! Oh- and the prototype is still using the same 70% Westinghouse 6SN7's. In fact, they have become better sounding. I used to get some clicks & pops from gas or something on warm-up. Not any more. Can't say that I know why- but nobody's complaining.

Blair -

Sent my amp back to Bryston to correct some burnt resistors, may be without it for over a month, so please move me to the end of the list.

I am excited to hear your pre with the amp once I get it back.

Gene

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Hi Everybody-

The tour WILL take place, I am just waiting for my trim. It was supposed to be finished way before now, but he's been extremely busy. (I know how it is.) For those waiting for orders, your trim was ordered in the same batch as this one.

JakeJ

Thanks for the update, Blair.  Really looking forward to hearing this beauty but take your time and do it the way you want.  I know you want to put your best effort in this so that makes my anticipation so much greater.
Jake

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
It is important to me to make a good impression. By the time the wood is finished, a shiny new badge may be in place too!

Don't ever think I do not listen to those who have provided good ideas and constructive criticism! It takes time to implement things and get it right without allot of wasted time, money and raw materials.

JakeJ

It is important to me to make a good impression. By the time the wood is finished, a shiny new badge may be in place too!
Cool!  Thanks for building even greater anticipation as well as product.  :thumb: 
Don't ever think I do not listen to those who have provided good ideas and constructive criticism! It takes time to implement things and get it right without allot of wasted time, money and raw materials.
I can only imagine what it's like to research, design, build, and market a desirable product.   Then to have that pride and joy meet with some trepidation due to simple and, seemingly, unimportant aesthetics.  I think you've answered that call with an excellent solution using the warmth of wood instead of thick, machined facepates and big rack handles.  Nicely done, sir!  :notworthy: 
Wishing Niteshade Audio all the best in 2010 and on,Jake
« Last Edit: 26 May 2010, 03:18 pm by JakeJ »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
All the wood is in! I will let you know when construction begins on the preamp.

nunhgrader

I'm saving up for one of your preamps for my Dynaco ST-70 [Will Vincent custom rebuild].

Wish I lived close to one of the participants!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
I will be happy to answer any questions. 

I'm saving up for one of your preamps for my Dynaco ST-70 [Will Vincent custom rebuild].

Wish I lived close to one of the participants!

etcarroll

Hi Blair -

I guess this isn't happening anytime soon? I got my amp back after an extensive modification, would really like to hear some tubes in the mix to see if that might be my next acquisition.

Gene

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Tubes in the mix would sound great! The tour is happening. I have been very busy lately and some of it keeps me out of Niteshade's shop. I recently found some new sources for components that will reduce lead times without sacrificing quality.

Thanks for being patient!

Hi Blair -

I guess this isn't happening anytime soon? I got my amp back after an extensive modification, would really like to hear some tubes in the mix to see if that might be my next acquisition.

Gene

JakeJ

I'm glad you're doing well in this economy Blair!  Feel free to bump etcarroll ahead of me in the queue.  I'm in no hurry.

Jake

etcarroll

Thanks Jake, but here's the thing, my wife is out of town the upcoming week, so I could have moved all equipment into best possible location for hearing.

Then I'm out of town from July 1 - 10th.

Then after that, all listening tests would have to occur in a WAF approved manner. bummer  :duh:

JakeJ

Understood, Gene.  I am on another list for a cable tour and was hoping to have my turn while I am off work recovering from surgery.  It ain't gonna happen due to the cables crossing the US/Canadian border twice and getting held up by customs and some stupid G20 summit security BS.

You'd need to be testing next week for optimum listening.  Sorry about that.  Next best thing I can think of is when you know you are going to have the Beacon in your house give your wife a spa day gift certificate so you can have the house to yourself for at least one day.

Best of luck working it out.

etcarroll

Ya, I saw the IC thread and the holdup at the border, that stinks.

I just had the Harvest Clarity IIs for a weeks demo, I liked them a lot, you should give them a listen. They may still be circulating.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
I just had an idea: A pair of 4ft LH-1 interconnects will go around with the preamp.  :D

Construction will begin in 1-2 weeks.

NOTE: This will be the next gen. Beacon Two. The power transformer will be internal, DC filaments are standard now and it will have a VERY nice engraved nameplate. On top of that, she's getting tiger maple sides.