you can come home again....back to tubes

drphoto

you can come home again....back to tubes
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:07 pm »
Well I got my MAD 4SE and so far I really like it. I does not coat everything in a honey glaze. It seems every bit as fast and accurate as my Tempest. However the sound seems more 'relaxed' and the soundstage is better; exactly what I wanted. I didn't quite get the depth I hoped for (might be my room)....but now the sound just seems to float in space in a really lovely way.

The downside is the bass might suffer from a more 'rounded' leading edge....not quite as defined.

However, I'm going to hold off on a full comment until I spend more time with it. I've shot my mouth off too soon before. I trashed the Decware Zbox buffer early on, but with a proper tube, a Mullard 12AU7 it really works. In fact, I'm keeping it in place w/ the MAD despite the extra cables required.

My only regret right now is not jumping on that Pez approved Radii amp when it was available at such a bargain price!

I  like the funky retro look of the MAD. Just a bit different than the traditional big shiny milled case.

Oh, I mentioned coming back, because my first decent system had all CJ tube amps. I still miss that MV-45 amp, which was sort of CJ's version of the Dyna Stereo 70.

Hey do you guys think the 6 volt tubes sound better than the 12v for some reason? I think I've seen a few post were people say the love 6SN7 pre's.

JakeJ

Re: you can come home again....back to tubes
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:28 pm »
Congrats, drphoto.  Welcome back to tubes and do keep us posted on developments of the sound and your system.

Can't comment on 6SN7s in preamps as mine uses all 12A*7 variants except for the MC inputs which are 6922s.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:09 pm »
I preferred the 6sn7s. You might want to try 12sx7s too.

-Roy

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:41 pm »
I was told the 12sn7 and 6sn7 sound exactly the same.  Just an option there because 12s are often cheaper.  12sx7 is supposedly the way to go...never done it myself.  Tubes will change the presentation quite a bit with the MAD pre.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:54 pm »
 Welcome home. After over 35 years at this stuff SET has done it for me as well. I hear ya with the bass issue however the tonality of the SET is IMO closer to reality. Yes SS amps have that slam and weight however most of the music is just not in that region. One taste in music dictates the choice. If I was a rocker SS all the way. The midrange is where the music is. get that right and all else falls in place. I mean Jancintha with SET is orgasmic already. Most female voice recordings are. Cymbals shimmer and decay and deacy and decay. Ya gat that initial metallic hit then a sea of shimmer. Love it.
   SO for me when I play Blues or heavy bass material a sub takes over from 50 HZ down. Problem solved.
   Happy listening. BTW stick with the 6SN7 tube. try Sylvania , Mullard if you can find them.

charles

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:01 pm »
The bass on my Manley Mahis is fine. Tight.. I supplement with a Velo HGS-12" sub.
But the bass is tight and not flabby up to sub duty. I love, love love love love love love having tube amps coming from Class D Nuforce 9SE v3s.
Did I say love????

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:53 pm »
The bass on my Manley Mahis is fine. Tight.. I supplement with a Velo HGS-12" sub.
But the bass is tight and not flabby up to sub duty. I love, love love love love love love having tube amps coming from Class D Nuforce 9SE v3s.
Did I say love????

BTW do you love the new amp :lol:. Cool. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!! They don't call it class "D" for nothing  :roll:.

charles

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:11 pm »
On the bass issue, if there is any 'blunting' effect, I think it may have largely gone away as the blackgates has had time to reform. Or it might just be my ears adjusting if you don't believe in that stuff.

What this thing can do for bass is deliver tone. I had in one of my favorite concert vids from my man Neil Finn today and was listening w/ my eyes closed. I thought, "Wow, that sounds like a Fender P-bass through a Music Man amp" Well it was an Ampeg, but close enough. Before I got tight low end bass. I could hear the difference between the bass guitar and the drums, but not the distinct character of each.

This little thing is a keeper. Good tubes work their magic in more than the midrange it seems.

BTW: I'm not saying tubes equal good. My ex girlfriend had that Onix SP3 integrated. I wanted to love it, as it was such a pretty unit for not much money, but it just didn't do much for me. I've read that there are some simple upgrades that can make 'em sing, but that's a whole 'nuther topic.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:34 am »
Hey Joe:

Fantastic!!  Great to hear you are digging this preamp. 8)  Believe me, it was hard giving it up.  However, I am really looking forward to the NS-60 tube amp and the Beacon II preamp that Blair over at Nightshade is going to build for me.  I would have never parted with the Mapletree but Blair gave me a very good deal for buying both amp and pre as a package. 

Have you had time to use the pre with both the RCA and the NOS Sylvania's I sent?  I hope you tried the stock RCA's first( It will make you appreciate the Sylvania's even more...).  When I put in the Sylvania's purchased from Andy at Vintage Tubes, the RCA's went back in the box.  :eyebrows:

Yours,

Randy

toobluvr

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:47 am »
Did I say love????

The Bryston Boyz will kick yer toobluvn ass fer sayin that!!        :peek:    :lol:

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:17 am »

I went straight away for the Sylvania's.  :D I'll try the RCA's somewhere down the road just to see.

Any thoughts on rectifiers?

Last night, I thought this was an incremental upgrade. Today, I think it's a game changer. 

Amazing unit for the money.  (damn good regardless of cost)

Only beef if it has the brightest LED ever. You could mount that on the front of a train! I gotta tape something over it for late night use.

My limiting factor now is my speakers. I love my Merlins, but I'm asking of way too much of a tiny monitor in a huge room. Next move will be most likely be Duke's new lower priced  dipole.

Thanks Randy! I appreciate your great packing job and helpful tube diagrams. Plus I'm glad you contacted me directly. I think it worked out well for both of us.

AC forum rocks!  :thumb:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:13 am »
Joe:

I know what you mean about that light!!  I positioned my SB3 in front of the power supply just for that reason. :lol:

Randy

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2010, 10:30 pm »
I think the big difference I'm hearing is there is more 'space' around the sounds. I don't mean just a larger soundstage, which there is in all directions, but around each note and each instrument. I can hear the decay better. I think there's more 'harmonic richness' to use another audiophile approved term.

My word for it is fun. Howz that?

And again, there ain't no (hey I'm from KY ok?) rolled off highs or flabby bass either!