help? am i listening to hi res yet?

fu_man

help? am i listening to hi res yet?
« on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:39 pm »
can  anyone  help me out>?  I am setting up an Off Ramp 3. ( Windows Vista - Foobar 2000)
Under my windows playback  device  dialogue box  I can't get playback if is  set to  94Hz. It works if  set  to 44.1Hz.

Hi res files definitely  sound  much improved  over  16/44.1 files but  am i actually listening to   hi  res  yet or  do i need to  resolve this?

screen  shot: if i set it to  96 Hz the music stops!

:oops:

audioengr

Re: help? am i listening to hi res yet?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm »
You must play 24/96 files or upsample the files to 24/96 using SRC or other upsampler with Foobar2000.  Then, when you set your computer to 24/96 it finally plays 24/96.  This is how Vista works unfortunately.

XP automatically plays the right sample rate.

Steve N.

fu_man

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:37 am »
You must play 24/96 files or upsample the files to 24/96 using SRC or other upsampler with Foobar2000.  Then, when you set your computer to 24/96 it finally plays 24/96.  This is how Vista works unfortunately.

XP automatically plays the right sample rate.

Steve N.

Thanks  Steve,
yes i am playing 24/96 files , and when SRC up sampled files are played they  sound better, but i cant set that "Speaker Properties" dialogue box to 96kHz ...it just stops playing? My computer is not  that old, fairly  standard    Core 2 with 2GB RAM?

The Offramp is a BIG step up from my modded squeezebox by the way!! 

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2010, 02:38 pm »

Thanks  Steve,
yes i am playing 24/96 files , and when SRC up sampled files are played they  sound better, but i cant set that "Speaker Properties" dialogue box to 96kHz ...it just stops playing? My computer is not  that old, fairly  standard    Core 2 with 2GB RAM?

The Offramp is a BIG step up from my modded squeezebox by the way!!

If the sounds and audio is set to 96 and you are playing a 96 file, it should just work, particularly if 96 upsampled files work.

One thing is that it generally takes even more I/O bandwidth to do native 96 files than upsampled.  You may need a faster I/O system in the computer.  Try other USB ports and elminate all other USB devices.  If this does not work, try another computer.

Steve N.

fu_man

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2010, 06:06 am »
Unfortunately no luck with trying different  USB ports.   
Upsampled  to 96khz  don't 'work'  either    - but they  do  sound  better... as  do   24/96  files. this  puzzled  me  but i  guess it is  simply that the 24bit (over  16) that  is  giving me improvement.

As to what  playing  at  96khz  will give  I will have to  wait  till i can borrow  a computer to find out is it's my  I/O  that's  causing the problem.