Anyone else have ground loop problems with Logitech Transporter?

schw06

It seems that at least 50% of the preamps I hook the Transporter up to creates a nasty ground loop hum that I can fix by putting a cheater plug on the Transporter. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they've come up with a quick or easy solution...It's driving me nuts!
David

Bigfish

It seems that at least 50% of the preamps I hook the Transporter up to creates a nasty ground loop hum that I can fix by putting a cheater plug on the Transporter. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they've come up with a quick or easy solution...It's driving me nuts!
David

David:

I have a unit modded by ModWright and have never had an issue with hum.  I have had my unit connected to several preamps and never had a problem. 

Good Luck,

Ken

whanafi

David

I have a stock Transporter which I have connected to a couple of different pre-amps.  No ground loop hum.

NewBuyer

David

Which outputs are you getting hum with - XLR or RCA?

mitch stl

David

A couple of thoughts.

When you say "50% of the preamps" you've tried exhibit hum with the Transporter, how many are we talking? 1 of 2? 5 of 10?

Is there a common denominator with the preamps that hum? (Such as tube vs solid state, three-prong AC plugs vs two-prong, etc.)

Have you tried different cables? Cables can break internally and this might affect one type of preamp but not another.

Have you checked your AC wall sockets for polarity and proper grounding? A simple, low cost tester from the hardware store will let you check this. It is not uncommon for a wall socket to be wired backwards or have a faulty ground.

schw06

Thanks for the recommendations. I have had 3/6 preamps of ss and tube topology with the hum and out of both RCA and XLR. Apparently, after speaking with a company that mods them, the way the floating ground was designed in the unit, it has a tendency to create a hum in some systems. I have tried every trick in the book to get it to stop humming and the only thing that works is lifting the ground. I have the unit working now but was curious if anyone else was experiencing a similar issue.
David

jermmd

My stock Transporter has never had a ground loop or hum problem and I too have used multiple preamps.