EML 5U4G rectifier exhibiting short tube life when used in a Modwright TP

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Unfortunately, I just had my second EML tube die a premature death.

Just like the previous one, this tube had low hours (way under 1000 hours and probably closer to 600 hours) when it stopped working.

I have checked everything and there are no issues with the Modwright TP or my incoming voltage.

While Dan and George (EML) are super to deal with and have been helpful, I can't keep burning through a very  expensive tube every 500-700 hours of use.

This is really a shame since I found the EML to be the best rectifier for the Modwright TP out of everything I tried.    In this case, two strikes equals an out.  I am out of patience and not willing to go with a third EML 5U4G regardless of how it performs.

George

vett93

Does your MW Transporter have the updated hyper drive power supply? Sorry to hear your story...

Berto

If your EML has the lower voltage goin to it ( i sent my TP back to Dan for this 6mths after owning the EML) then it will live a long life. I just celebrated it's 2 yr old Bday and my estimated hrs are at 3000 now.

zybar

• Volunteer
Does your MW Transporter have the updated hyper drive power supply? Sorry to hear your story...

Yes it does.

George

Blackmore

My EML tube just started the dreaded "blue flash" and I pulled it from my Yamamoto amp before something bad happened.  I got a lot more life out of it than you are, but not nearly what I hoped for.  Hope you find an answer because it really is a great sounding tube. 

zybar, you have a pm.

Mark

morganc

Can anyone confirm that the EML 5U4G is compatible with the Modwright 9.0 SE SWL? 

JerryH

I'm using the EML in the SWLP but probably best to confirm with Dan.
As for the blue flash, I had 2 EML's. One exhibited sparkles fairly early at power on only.  It has since stopped sparkling and is still going. The other one failed early at less than 1000 hours. It's in the SWLP now but the one that failed early was in the SWLP.
I didn't get them both at the same time and I'm curious if it's a production run problem. Shame because it's a great tube otherwise. 

dminches

I just swapped out my EML 5U4G for an NOS Tung Sol 5U4G and I have to say I am really liking it.  I found the the EML made a bunch of my other 6SN7s sound a bit edgy - tool digital.  I am finding that these same tubes sound much warmer with the Tung Sol.

morganc

Thanks for the advice guys....wish we had one list of all the different rectifier tubes and what each of us thought they brought to the table (especially those of you with your "Golden Ears"), that way we could try to pick the one that is going to synergize :D more with our system and we can use the tubes to predictably fill in the gaps that each of us prefer...of course we first have to agree on the musical attributes of each!

I would also love any advice for any of you on a rectifier that:
1.  Cost between $60-80
2.  Will last for thousands of hours and not need frequent replacement.
( If the EML issues are solved and they are working for long hours now, then I might be tempted to buy one despite #1)

JG2

You can generally find a good used / tested Mullard GZ34/5AR4 ('B'=Blackburn production) or Philip ('L'=Holland production) rectifier on E-Bay for $60-$80. Don't get hung up on the 'branding' written on the tube. What matters is the 'B' or 'L' etched in the glass of the tube. You will pay more for a Blackburn production tube that is also branded Mullard. They should last a LONG time and often test as new even with years of use.

I am a fan of the EML but don't know if they will have the longevity of the vintage Philips, Mullard and many other rectifiers from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Time will tell.

dminches

Those are nice rectifiers. I would add the Tung sol 5U4G. You can get one for 50-60.

morganc

Thanks guys....this is just the info that I need. 

JG2

A follow up regarding the Tung Sol 5U4G post.

The one that is reported to be THE hot version of this tube has a top getter. I haven't tried one but have read enough about this tube that this is the one you want to try................if you can find one!

morganc

A follow up regarding the Tung Sol 5U4G post.

The one that is reported to be THE hot version of this tube has a bottom getter. I haven't tried one but have read enough about this tube that this is the one you want to try................if you can find one!

How can you tell if it is a bottom getter?  I keep reading all the excellent info but the challenge is knowing what and how to buy them!  Thanks again.

JG2

Sorry..............I meant TOP getter!

I'll post a link to this version.

owenmd

My second favorite tube after the EML was an RCA 5U4G.... I think I got it from ebay for around $20...?  Late 50's NOS I believe.  I still use it in my Carina amp, warm, detailed with a big sound.... love it.   :thumb:

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
Thanks for the advice guys....wish we had one list of all the different rectifier tubes and what each of us thought they brought to the table (especially those of you with your "Golden Ears"), that way we could try to pick the one that is going to synergize :D more with our system and we can use the tubes to predictably fill in the gaps that each of us prefer...of course we first have to agree on the musical attributes of each!

I would also love any advice for any of you on a rectifier that:
1.  Cost between $60-80
2.  Will last for thousands of hours and not need frequent replacement.
( If the EML issues are solved and they are working for long hours now, then I might be tempted to buy one despite #1)

I know that the BEL GZ34 sounds very good with the Sylvania 6SN7W, Tong-Sol RP's, and the Treasures.  In my system, I like it basically as much as the EML at a fraction of the price and with zero reliability issues.

Unfortunately, the place I bought mine from is out of stock right now (http://www.tubemonger.com/1970s_Bel_NOS_NIB_GZ34_5AR4_Philips_Mullard_OEM_p/3.htm), but you could always ping him and see when he will have more.

Good luck.

George

morganc

Thanks George...I did see your thread earlier and saw they were out of stock, but I will now have it on my radar and I will email the Tube Monger

zybar

• Volunteer
Thanks George...I did see your thread earlier and saw they were out of stock, but I will now have it on my radar and I will email the Tube Monger

You might want to contact tvad as I thought he might have one for sale.

George

JG2

Here is a Tung Sol top getter ending in less than a hour on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330537137812&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you want it bid $59 or so as I have a bid in at $57.XX or so. I won't put in another bid as I have TOO MANY TUBES!