What is a "audiophile record"????

china

What is a "audiophile record"????
« on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:16 pm »
Hello AudioCircle,

I hope that this finds you in the best of health and spirits and that all is well with you and yours.

I need some advice as to what constitutes a "audiophile album"???

I have posted here and on Audiogon a listing for "audiophile albums", which consist of "Original Master Recordings by Mobile Fidelity", "Sheffield Labs", "TelArcs", "Crystal", "Reference Recordings", etc. etc.

Then I received a email stating that for the most part these were not "audiophile albums" and so on and so on.

Stuck in my craw......so to speak......as the money being offered, so far, for this collection.

Is a lot less than what I have invested in it, for example, I have seen the "Sinatra Box Set by Mobile Fidelity" selling in the range of $300 to $350 on ebay and amazon.

Any thoughts on the matter???

As always. all the best.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: What is a "audiophile record"????
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:35 pm »
  What constitutes an "Audiophile is only one thing. The "sound" . Meaning well recorded and good music NOT sound effects.
   Pick up an old copy of the Absolute Sound where Harry Pearson lists the golden dozen and so on. A good start anyway, then check out Sterophiles recordings of the month. A few good picks there . They are ALL recorded very well and are musically pleasing.  Have fun looking.

charles

gerald porzio

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:58 pm »
Extremely well recorded music that oft times is lacking in musical DNA, meaning that other than demoing, it has little musical value to the listener.

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:39 pm »
Extremely well recorded music that oft times is lacking in musical DNA, meaning that other than demoing, it has little musical value to the listener.

and just the opposite ..................... example, Hoffman and Gray's re-issued 'Blue Note' albums....quite superb !