Mac Mini and Musepac

bhobba

Mac Mini and Musepac
« on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:37 am »
I haven't got a mini yet but am looking to get one in the near future. 

I have a large number of musepack encoded files which I believe is streets ahead of any other compressed codec.  In view of that I was looking at what players played it on the mac mini and found that Itunes certainly didn't.  So I hunted around a bit and found that VLC was often the suggested player for musepac on the mac.

Ok I download it on my windows machine and actually liked it more than media player classic which was what I was using.  Ok so I got rid of it replaced it with VLC.  I may be imagining it but I seemed it actuality played a bit better through my low fi computer speakers.  Everything was fine until I played some other musepack files - they simply refused to play.  I then did a long search for a player that could do it.  I tried heaps and despite that they claimed to play musepack either didn't play any or only some.  I finally settled on Splayer for my video and Foobar for my audio - Foobar was the only one that didn't have any problems.  My suspicion is the ones that failed have out of date codecs.

Ok that solves the problem for my widows machine but does anyone know how to avoid it on a Mac Mini?  I know Play for the mac is considered a good quality player:
 http://sbooth.org/Play/

It is supposed to playback musepack but now I am wondering if it has the same problems?  Does anyone know?  What would be peoples advice on the best way to play back musepack on a mini?

Thanks
Bill