Spectral DMA200 amp ?

msm_1

Spectral DMA200 amp ?
« on: 16 Apr 2010, 10:01 pm »
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with the Spectral DMA200 amp?

I was wondering if this would be a good match for my 4's ?

Thanks

Mike

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: Spectral DMA200 amp ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm »
Hi Mike,

I know the Spectral as a very powerfull and analitic amplifier, probably one of the best.
But it is not the most musical amp. It depends of the system you have.
What kind of source, cables and over all roomacoustics.

Please give us some more information about your situation.

Regards,

Cor

msm_1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:56 pm »
Hi Cor

The system I have runs a tubed Rogue 99 magnum with phono. VPI Scoutmaster with Koetsu Black and additional arm with Blackbird cartridge. Sony cdp-x777es with a Classe DAC-1, Nakamichi Dragon, and all wired by Nordost Red Dawn.

The room is 14' x 48' x 8'. Drywall with sprayed insulation on all walls and ceilling with heated granite floors.

I'm currenty using Classe DR-8's amps, and have a Modified Rogue 88 amp on the shelf.

Thanks

Mike

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:00 am »
Wow Mike,

Nice gear, should sound OK in your room.

Why are you looking for a Solid state amp?

Cor

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:02 am »
Heard the combination of the DMA200 and "original" VR4's some 20+ years ago in Memphis and it was magic. Man, I wanted both in a bad way (couldn't buy both so I settled on the 4's and a DMA50,, first one, then another bridged) ...  Funny, I recently saw the now "classic" DMA200 on audiogon and was tempted to purchase,  but few things stand the test of time and are bettered by newer arrivals..  Just a wk ago I saw a pair of Sansui SP3500's for sale and again, for sentimental reasons (having owned a pair in the early 70's) was tempted...  My advice,, use a "classic" in a secondary system, shop for newer models/internals that have not degraded with age for primary listening.

msm_1

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:15 am »
Hi

Thanks, I have other speakers and am planning on using the DR-8's with them in another room. And still like the Rogue 88 for sound as well but just feel I need a change

As said, I like the tubed sound but can get this Spectral at a realy good price ( under $1400.00cdn ). I'm sure there are better amps out there now....but how much $ do I have to spend to get a newer 'true' Class A amp ?

Thanks

Mike

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:48 am »
Not sure what the current exchange rate (with US) is but, thinking out loud if you like tubes,, AudioSpace and Cayin come to mind (great gear and relatively affordable).  Albert has teamed w/AudioSpace in the past at CES and RMAF.   Mike, what do you have, the Jr's?  I have BelCanto's in one system and the amps mate well w/VSA.  I'm using the latest Ref 1000 mono's (on a pair of Unifield 3's and Unifield 2's)..  The Ref 500's and the S500 I've sold to a number of happy VSA 4Jr customers and they can be found "on the street" at a good buy..  Jack

gerald porzio

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:51 am »
Good luck trying to find a Spectral user on any forum. Damn few dealers too.

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:50 am »
A Koetsu and a Spectral make for a prismatic and colorful combo. Should be great. Not sure how they'll be with the Sony ES though as I've never heard it. Heck for that price grab it and amp roll when the mood strikes  :eyebrows:

msm_1

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:08 am »
Hi

I will be using these on a pair of original VR-4's that my dealer had stored away since new. It has the silver wiring and red cherry finish.

The dealer planned on upgrading these to the Gen 2, but ordered a pair instead, so these saw only very few hours on the floor before being stored.

Big, bulky, but I honestly don't think they are past their breakin time yet, and if so, not by much.

I paid a fraction of what even JR's are worth but I can say that I would have to go into my pockets deep to buy another speaker that matches their sound....even today!

I am still eyeing the older demo VR-5's they have in one sound room..... sometimes I hate going there!! lol

Thanks

Mike

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:45 am »
Mike, the older VR5's IMO can't deliver the the low-end soul tingling experience..  They've got "punch" but not quite the "weight" of the 4's dual bass'. Spend time with them and I think you see.  If size is not an issue,, the orig 4's rock and,, you can upgrade later..  I used the big daddy Warner Imaging SS amp on my VR4 Silver at one point then an 80 VAC.  The 4's are only physically imposing when the lights are "on" in your listening room,, otherwise they really do disappear.   Get a pair of copper Analysis Plus bi Oval 9's (they can be had inexpensively on audiogon) along with any sweet sounding SS or tube amp and you'll be in heaven.. Room dimensions and listening distance?

msm_1

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:07 am »
Hi Jack

The room is 14' x 48' x 8'. It's drywalled with 4" of spray insulation on all walls and ceiling. It has heated granite tiled floors.

Can anyone help me find a manual for this amp ??

Thanks

Mike

honesthoff

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:16 am »
Mike,

Can't help with the manual, but if I remember correctly the DMA-200 runs very hot, and has a couple of fans built into it.  Have not heard one in many years, but I recall it being exceedingly good on bass and mids, but a little glaring on highs.  $1400 Canadian sounds like a pretty good deal.

msm_1

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2010, 11:43 pm »
Hi
I spent this morning at my dealers with this amp ( turns out they sold 8 of these new with a final price tag of $10,800.00 tax included ). He had the spectral binder with specs and other brocures etc.

It does run in CLASS A @ 200/channel.

What I don't understand is that it rates the POWER AT IDLE - 1200 watt continuous

I can't find what my Classe's run at, so I don't know if this is high, low, or average?

Any ideas?

Dealer says I should always leave it on.

He used it with a Pass Labs pre and Musical Fidelity Trivista sacd.... I think he was trying to get me to buy the complete setup!!

Thanks

Mike

srb

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2010, 01:08 am »
1200W at idle is very high, and is of course the equivalent of leaving on 16 - 75W light bulbs.  I made a post in a Bryston thread calculating cost of running 8 hours a day versus 24 hours day.

Re: How does the sound change after warm up?

The extra 16 hours a day of idling at 1200W would likely cost you an extra

- $60/month with U.S. average cost per kwh

- $90/month + in CA or NY

Not to mention the extra load and associated cost of air conditioning in the summer.

Steve

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2010, 01:40 am »
I must admit to knowing little about Spectral amps but I googled and found this Spectral DMA200 that sold on A'gon.  Read the explanation regarding operating points and the need to leave it on full time.  Based on this alone, not the amp I would go after.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?ampstran&1261888468

It gets great reviews but that power consumption is simply unacceptable.  By the way, look what the amp finally sold for.

spectralman

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2010, 04:00 am »
First of all, I will admit to not knowing how the Spectral amp will mate with the VSA speakers as I have never heard ANY VSA speakers.

However, some years ago, I owned the DMA-200.  It was a very powerful sounding amplifier rated at 200/380 watts into 8/4 ohms.  It does NOT need to be left on at all times.  It sounds like crap when first turned on, takes about an hour of actual playing time, not just idling time, to sound good.  It is lightning fast with tremendous bass response.  Midrange is not what I would call tubelike but it has its virtues, those being detail, depth, and sounstage.  Highs are absolutely not harsh.

Like all older Spectral equipment, it needs to be paired with a Spectral preamp and MIT cables.  It even makes a difference (sounds better) running a balanced (XLR) cable between preamp and power amp; this is not a subtle improvement.  At the time, I was running it with a Spectral DMC-20 Series II preamp and some pretty expensive MIT IC's and SC's.

About the fan.  It has a 2-speed fan that has an inlet on one side (the right side IIRC) and outlet on the opposite side.  The fan is quiet on both speeds.  Do not place anything on top of the power amp as this may cause it to shut down due to overheating.

I believe the DMA-200 to be better than the DMA-180's that came out in the next few years after.  The 200 had more guts.

Bill

msm_1

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2010, 11:41 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I found this info on the back of the brocure:

POWER OUTPUT         -  STEREO
( CONTINUOUS )            @ 8 ohms - 200WRMS
                                  @ 4 ohms - 380WRMS

OPERATING BIAS        -  CLASS A 8ohms @ rated output

OUTPUT CURRENT       -  32A