A good word for Space Tech Labs

MttBsh

« on: 5 Feb 2004, 10:12 pm »
At the advice of a friend, I recently replaced my NHT Passive Volume Control with the basic preamp model (QA-001 SE) from Space Tech Labs (STL) out of Vancouver BC.
The NHT had performed well between my Scott Nixon Tubedac and Carver Pro ZR1000, with Ridge Street MSE II I/CS in and out,  but my friend suggested the NHT was a weak link and that STL's tubed preamps would add that tube magic to the proceedings. Based on the fact that he has consistently demonstrated a keen insight into high end audio bargains, and that reviewers were comparing STL's $350.00 QA-001 to $5000 models from Audio Research, I took his advice.
I contacted Albert, the owner of STL, and found him to be a true gentleman. He immediately quizzed me about my system and sound preferences so that he could custom build the preamp to my tastes.
After a few days of burn-in, I found the QA-001 brought a dramatic increase to my system's soundstage, which I had already thought was very, very good. It also improved clarity, detail and dynamics, seperating instruments beautifully. Most dramatic, however, has been the increased bass response - bass lines are now much deeper and pronounced, bringing greater punch and body to all of my recordings.
Even after the positive reviews I'd read I was surprised by how well this inexpensive preamp improved my sytem.
I think Albert's tubed preamps partner extremely well with digital amps like the ZR1000. Together they produce totally grain-free, dynamic, high resolution amplification
In a market driven by brand recognition guys like Albert and his hand made products fall below the radar for most people, and it's unfortunate, because he provides first class service and products that compete favorably with very high end gear,... for a fraction of the cost..
Check out his exceptional line of gear at http://www.space-tech-lab.com

Matt

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2004, 12:57 pm »
Thanks for the heads up and link.  

Your post is very well written.

If I was staying in analog I might very well be heading there for an integrated.  However I see the future heading towards fully digital, no analog conversions needed/wanted.  But if I'm wrong I may be back.

Dmason

Space Tech
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2004, 05:27 pm »
His website is Eye Candy Central.

Beautiful workmanship, very delicate in the Chinese tradition. I called him up and am impressed by his interest in people's musical enjoyment; Seems to be his "mission statement."

This is a guy who, amazingly, customizes his own Dynaudio Esotar tweeters for his speaker designs, and my hot button was hit when he said he was investigating semiconductor (digitally) controlled, tube output amplifiers. Now THAT sounded interesting. I'll bet a nice hot signal from a good single-ended pre amp would make the Carver reeeelly rock!!

Good luck, your friend has excellent judgement.