Any SB touch users yet??How do they sound???

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Any SB touch users yet??How do they sound???
« on: 15 Apr 2010, 06:30 pm »
Anybody get delivery on the SB touch?? First impressions?? :drool:

mfsoa

Re: Any SB touch users yet??How do they sound???
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2010, 06:37 pm »
I haven't done much formal listening (mostly it's to the internet radio stations) but for the few ripped 16/44 tracks I've heard I'd say the sound quality is certainly right in the same ballpark as my Rotel 1072 CDP, on the knee-jerk "Is there a major improvement / degradation" level.  (Analog outs into preamp)

A very slick piece indeed, and the best thing is?- My wife really likes it!!

-Mike

mitch stl

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2010, 09:40 pm »
Anybody get delivery on the SB touch?? First impressions?? :drool:

I received mine last Friday. My existing setup was a SB3 with a Lavry DA-10 DAC. I synced the two players and level-matched them so that I could switch between them on the same material.

The difference was so subtle that I had to work at it to hear the difference between the Touch's analog outputs and the SB3/Lavry combo. I do think the Lavry was still slightly better, but only when I listened just for comparison. When I was listening for enjoyment there were several times I found myself forgetting which player was in-circuit.

I ended up selling my Lavry on Audiogon. I hope that clarifies what I think of the Touch's sound quality.  ;-)

Naturally others can and will reach different conclusions.

ramante

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:41 am »
Just received mine today.  Right out of the box - I'm very impressed.  Better than my memories of the stock SB3 and the stock Transporter.  I never really cared for the stock Transporter, but the Touch sounds more detailed and more open.  It's better than I was expecting.

I'm running it direct into a Shindo Montille with Devore super 8s.

Is it as good as my Modwright Transporter?  No, but so far, I would rather have the Touch than the stock Transporter.

Just my first impressions.

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:39 am »
Mine is up and running. I have it hooked up to a CIAudio Linear power supply. Its nice they kept the power requirements the same so I could still use the PS. I definitely hear more clarity and detail than the SB3. Im only using the digital out to feed my Bryston BDA-1. Pretty sweet!

Picking up Lots of fine detail that would have been lost to the SB3...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2010, 08:13 pm »
Anybody else out there with a new toy and want to elaborate?? :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2010, 08:36 pm »
Currently have SB3 and Touch connected to Yamaha HTR via analog which is connected to Acurus A250.  Using the touch for about a week or so and like the sound so far.  Initial impression out of the box is a positive improvement over the sb3, with wider and deeper sound stage.  I also think the touch is a bit forward and bright compared to sb3.  Hoping to tame that when I insert the tube pre back in the mix.

firedog

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:20 am »
Over at the Logitech Squeezebox forum there seems to be general agreement that the Touch is significantly better than SB2-3/Duet - both as analogue and as digital transport. Competitive with the Transporter in SQ.

Several users have said the Touch makes their DAC superfluous.

As always, YMMV

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2010, 04:48 pm »
Mine has ben running for a few days now. It was a little confusing to get the USB drive attached and scanned properly. Its a 3 phase scan process. I didnt realize this and started to play music while it was still scaning in the background and had all sorts of stuff happen.

Now that I am familiar with the setup and flow of the menus its working very well and sounds very nice.

I compared by Oppo BD83SE, with the analog and digital coax out of the Touch. I did many AB comparisons using FLAC files. I also tried with a powered exteranal USB 7200 RPM and a new mini-Sata Solid State Drive.

Using the solid state drive there is NO USB drive noise period, dead silent and is faster in accessing the data from the spinning drive counterpart.

The audio sound from all theree comparisons, analog to digital to Oppo were very close, i run into an Onkyo 805 receiver and have to sync and get the levels close to make a honest comparision eetc. Once I got this to work and had the buttons on my Onkyo remote programmed it was easy to switch amongst the outputs and compare. I run the Onkyo in its 'pure audio' mode to try to avoid any double conversion. The D/A in the touch analog out to the receiver and another D/A conversion...you would think that ther would be a great difference from the in all these modes...but I heard hardly any! Nothing to make you say "WOW" that is sooooo  much better.

I prefer the Oppo Bd83 se sound to the Touch but I would be hard pressed to accurately explain this with any real data. The Touch to me is that good.

All in all a very nice new toy from Logitech and makes accessing my 300+ cd's really nice...and if for some reason you need to go back to the high end player or deck for any reason you can..

ALex