Original B-60's mids and highs

94cdnm3

Original B-60's mids and highs
« on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:09 am »
I have been running an earlier version (1997?) of the B-60 along with a 2b-lp in biamp mode for quite awhile and have been very satisfied with the sound quality. Having said that, I am curious as to how the mids and highs of the B-60 internal amp compare to the ST series and to the SST series (for those who have compared).

Early on, I did use the 2b-lp for the tweeters and the internal B-60 amp for the mids/bass driver and found that it was inferior to the internal amp driving the tweeters and the 2b-lp driving the mid/bass driver.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses. Cheers!

94cdnm3

Re: Original B-60's mids and highs
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:17 pm »
To clarify a bit, I will try to simplify my question: How does the mids and highs of the B60 compare to those of a ST series amp and a SST series amp? Thanks again to any and all responses.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:56 pm »
I just got my B60 back from Bryston Canada.  It was an original B60, now upgraded to SST status.  The mids and highs are what improved the most - more clarity, resolution, and better cohesiveness (if that's a word).  Basically more insight into the music.

It had to go to Canada (I'm in the US) for it.  Easily the best $115 I've spent on it.  Far better than any cable change or tweak I could have thrown at it. 

Not sure if yours can be upgraded.  Mine is a 1999 model.  Call Bryston Canada and talk to Mike Pickett.  If it can't be upgraded, maybe look into buying something like a 2B SST?   I'd imagine that would be better than what you or I have.  You could use the B60 as a preamp.

Great combo BTW.  I really like the Arros.  One of my favorite speakers regardless of price.     

Lancelot

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2010, 12:26 am »
 I had a B60 of roughly your vintage and both a 3B ST and now a 3B SST.

The mids and the highs of the B60 were, IMO, noticeably smoother and less extended than the 3B ST. The  ST series was more transparent and detailed but at the expense of the smoothness of the B60 - not a something I liked and I preferred the B60.

The SST series is very noticeably superior to the ST series in almost every way and this seems to be the almost universal view of those who have owned both. The smoothness is back with an enhanced resolution at the same time. I ,personally , would avoid the ST versions for 2 channel sound.

94cdnm3

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:03 pm »
Thanks Stu and Lancelot, I think I will look into the possibility of upgrading to sst output devices given what you have experienced. Cheers! :D

94cdnm3

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2010, 06:16 am »
This is a follow up to my original question because I just got the answer directly. I was able to acquire a B-60R with the SST output devices and I can say that Stu was right on in his assessment of the highs and mids. The SST provides a clearer picture from the mids on up without being strident at all. The SST is more detailed, accurate and neutral whereas the original sounded a bit warmer and smoother. The difference is subtle at first but evident.

The bonus on my acquisition was that it came with the DAC! In comparison to my Simaudio CD-1 which is the best sounding CD player I've owned to date it too was more "real" ie. it sounded more live than recorded with greater dynamic contrast and micro-details. There was a significant increase in transparency and detail across the entire frequency spectrum. The Simaudio sounded more smooth but coloured although taken by itself you would not have known.

So my Simaudio CD-1 and B-60 are now going into the classifieds soon!  thumb:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2010, 04:13 am »
I'd love to get the DAC installed in my B60, but I'd lose my phono stage.  When the whole 'phono fad' dies, then maybe...  Just maybe.