Your greatest culinary experience ever . .

ZLS

Re: Your greatest culinary experience ever . .
« Reply #40 on: 3 May 2010, 07:27 pm »
Speaking of Chicago, went to a restaurant in the Gold Coast part of town that was hard to find cause there wasn't any signage (which struck me as kinda hipper than thou) just a door (red?).  Had it's own elevator tho which went up one floor and opened onto the room where we were met and shown a booth in the corner.  Had a veal steak as simply presented as about anything I had ever scene (this was during the days of nouvelle cuisine) and it was delicious.  But, what was so memorable was the wine.  An '74 Silver Oaks cab.  Yep, I scooped up 8 bottles and a few more later when we got home.  Next to us were a couple and the lady was pretty sloshed.  At a long table directly in front of her were about ten suits who at the end of their dinner whipped out some celebratory (it seemed) and enormous cigars.  After they all had lit up, this lady, and brothers and sisters, she was NOT mincing words, made them all put them out. 

Any natives here know this restaurant?  Thanks.

Jim,

Was this recently or was it a while back? 

Z

Mike Nomad

« Reply #41 on: 3 May 2010, 08:28 pm »
Port Of Call at Malaga, Spain in the mid-80s: Best. Hamburger. Ever.

A few hours before dining, I watched the burger, in a more complete form, dish out a pretty hefty dose of Small Town Smack-down to a rather novice matador.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #42 on: 3 May 2010, 08:35 pm »
    Jim,

Was this recently or was it a while back? 

Z
Oh, that was a good while back.  The 80's, I think.  Ring a bell?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #43 on: 3 May 2010, 08:37 pm »

A few hours before dining, I watched the burger, in a more complete form, dish out a pretty hefty dose of Small Town Smack-down to a rather novice matador.
Wow, that's like.....beyond cool.  8)  :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #44 on: 3 May 2010, 08:50 pm »

Reminds me of the first time I had Sashimi.  At 15 y/o I crewed on a sail boat in the Hawaiian Islands, we sailed from Oahu to Molokai and we dragged a line on most trips and I was in charge of pulling up the line at the end of the day.  I pulled a 25 pound tuna out of the ocean and Richard the skipper had a local cut the fish up on the spot for our dinner, the freshest fish I have ever eaten.  I can still taste that tuna!

Mike Nomad

« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2010, 09:45 pm »
Reminds me of the first time I had Sashimi.  At 15 y/o I crewed on a sail boat in the Hawaiian Islands, we sailed from Oahu to Molokai and we dragged a line on most trips and I was in charge of pulling up the line at the end of the day.  I pulled a 25 pound tuna out of the ocean and Richard the skipper had a local cut the fish up on the spot for our dinner, the freshest fish I have ever eaten.  I can still taste that tuna!

We were tied up at the other end of the quay from the Pride of Baltimore. Nice juxtaposition: Period correct topsail schooner on one end, the USS La Moure County at the other. The Pride's crew were an outstanding bunch. Top notch sailers all.

Less than a year later, the Pride was sunk in heavy weather in the Caribbean, taking four of the crew with her.

jaywills

« Reply #46 on: 3 May 2010, 11:21 pm »
De Groene Lanteerne in Amsterdam.  Cozy place, excellent food (no affiliation).

geezer

« Reply #47 on: 4 May 2010, 12:02 am »
Although I've been fortunate to have eaten many excellent restaurant meals, my all time favorites are the simple dishes  that I grew up on.

When I was a child, we were quite poor, so I grew up on peasant food; food that didn't cost much. We couldn't afford to eat much meat, and when we did, it had to be the cheapest available. Most often this was organ meats; meats that most people didn't want.

My favorite, by far, was kidney stew with dumplings. My mother would skin the kidneys and remove the tough veins, put them in a pot along with some water, potatoes, carrots, peas, and onions, and (as my father used to say) cook the piss out of them. To me it was more than delicious. Fortunately for me, my wife, who hates kidneys, nevertheless learned the recipe and was willing to make it for me. (She herself has never eaten it.)

The restaurant meal that comes closest is a steak and kidney pie that I had several times later in life.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2010, 05:24 pm »
We've had a few of these, both my sons are chefs...

Heitz 02 Cabernet Sav was savored that day, but that just topped off what the boys whipped up. It was my Bday.

Flatiron steaks grilled med rare, gererous amount of freshly ground pepper/salt to taste, served over Mache lightly coated with an Asian/citrus dressing.
Brussel sprouts steamed then unleafed and tossed with crisped applewood smoked bacon, leave a reasonable amount of bacon fat add a touch of Balsamic.
Sauce on the side was a Veal base reduction Corey(son#2) simmered all week, Crimini's were added later.
Dessert was simple, quality/premium Vanilla ice cream very lightly drizzled with 25yr old Balsamic.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2010, 05:38 pm »
Here is another...Thanskgiving 2 yrs ago.

Menu for Tday at Bro/Sis-in-laws(there were 16 guest)

28 lb Turkey with a traditional French-Canadian pork based stuffing. Stuffing was my ticket in 

Apps were just 6 diff cheeses Blue, English Cheddar, Brie, Aged Goat(ash-rubbed), Gruyère.

Mashed Potatoes (of course)
Sweet Potatoes/Banana, a variation of a Tyler Florence recipe.
Artichokes/Italian sausage with some added shaved fennel.
Carrots sliced thin, steamed, honey/cardamom added
Homemade gravy another of my tickets   
Rolls

Pumpkin and apple pie
Pumpkin Tiramisu – pumpkin lightened with Mascarpone, lf dipped in rum
Pears poached in Chardonnay/sugar syrup/cinnamon sticks

Eric

« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2010, 04:55 pm »
The first time I tasted Pizza

Berto

« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2010, 06:00 pm »
My Dr. buddy took me out for my last B-day to the Strip House in NYC > filet mignon > cream spinach > garlic mashed > homemade chocolate cake.

Every bite melted in my mouth , great ambiance too.

Also Jack & Dyls in Tarrytown Westchester > amazing short ribs > voted best in westchester as well ( no clue who votes..but they got mine)

some young guy

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2010, 07:33 pm »
The first time I tasted Pizza
I tried really really hard, but I can't remember that moment. I have no doubt that it was a good one though.

ctviggen

« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2010, 08:06 pm »
I tried really really hard, but I can't remember that moment. I have no doubt that it was a good one though.

Most people probably won't remember the first pizza they had.  For instance, my two year old has had pizza (assuming you can get her to eat it; sometimes she will, sometimes she won't).  It's doubtful she'll remember having pizza -- or anything else for that matter -- at two. 

I remember when I went to Italy and had Italian style pizza (tried to order pepperoni and got green peppers instead).  It was quite good but without cheese I seem to remember. 

I remember my first slice of NY style, thin crust, greasy pizza with anchovies.  This was in Alameda, California.  At first, I couldn't stand either the pizza or the anchovies (a friend ordered these).  Now, I like them both.

Also had my first Chicago style pizza in San Francisco, CA.  I remember it being quite good.

philltubes

« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2010, 08:55 pm »
Went to a schwanky restaraunt in Virginia on business and had Sea Bass and Scallops with Dianne Sauce and for desert had Creme Broulet, yum.

Growing up I always looked forward to marinated london broil on the grill with a huge salad and a big ole baked potato, real food.  For an appatizer we would often have a big pot of steamed clams (littlenecks) with melted butter freshly dug from the great south bay on Long Island.

geezer

« Reply #55 on: 26 May 2010, 02:27 pm »
Most people probably won't remember the first pizza they had.  For instance, my two year old has had pizza (assuming you can get her to eat it; sometimes she will, sometimes she won't).  It's doubtful she'll remember having pizza -- or anything else for that matter -- at two. 

I remember when I went to Italy and had Italian style pizza (tried to order pepperoni and got green peppers instead).  It was quite good but without cheese I seem to remember. 

I remember my first slice of NY style, thin crust, greasy pizza with anchovies.  This was in Alameda, California.  At first, I couldn't stand either the pizza or the anchovies (a friend ordered these).  Now, I like them both.

Also had my first Chicago style pizza in San Francisco, CA.  I remember it being quite good.

Many years ago, when I was a teenager, there was only one pizza shop within reach. The first time I tasted their pizza I was hooked. It was made by Italian immigrants in a brick oven they made themselves. It was the original Neapolitan version: relatively thin, crispy crust, lots of super sauce, and a modicum of beautiful cheese.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get that these days, when the usual recipe includes much too little sauce, and huge amounts of cheese.

The pizza business has fallen prey to the American addiction to fat!

ctviggen

« Reply #56 on: 26 May 2010, 02:36 pm »
I agree with you that most American pizza is too much bread and cheese.  My favorite pizzas these days are thin crust, cooked in a brick oven, and without cheese or with not a lot of cheese, but the cheese there is, is of high quality.  There are only a few instances of this to be found. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2010, 02:42 pm »
  The first true Redhead. Redi Whip and a readhead :eyebrows:

charles

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #58 on: 26 May 2010, 02:43 pm »
Every time I have homemade pizza.  :eyebrows:

K Shep

« Reply #59 on: 31 May 2010, 10:49 pm »
My wife and I ate Jose Andres' Bazaar Restaurant in Los Angeles.  He has a Prix Fix menu served in a private dining room called Saam.  This was my first experience with Molecular Gastronomy.  22 course menu, small bites and small courses.  I ate 2 of the tastiest items ever! 

http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/PropertyDetails.aspx?VID=8&R=142381

This was the most amazing meal I have ever had.  Location, staff, food, unique, food and we were in a great mood.  Yeah I mentioned food twice.  Don't pass up the opportunity.  Oh, it was only $90 per person before booze, so very reasonable too.

Cheers.