Reasonable price for Technics sl1210?

Bear

Reasonable price for Technics sl1210?
« on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:42 am »
wtb: a technics sl-1210 tt,  I found a sl1210mkii on craigs without a cartridge....what is a reasonable price for a used one? In your opinion.  Perhaps I would be better off buying from KAB?  All suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Shane

JackD201

Re: Reasonable price for Technics sl1210?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2010, 06:04 pm »
google SL-1210 with the key words DJ Store and you'll get a very good idea on the going rates for brand new and refurbished decks. Go to Kab if you are considering ordering Kab mods with them. Otherwise, I think you'll be able to find a DJ store closer to where you live that will probably go for about the same price but you can save some green on shipping/freight. There are also sites located in states with lower or no sales taxes, so that could factor in too.

Happy Hunting!!!!

rivieraranch

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:25 am »
Don't do it. These are some of the most banged around turntables out there. I would only buy one new.

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:14 pm »
Here's an interesting candidate on the 'gon...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1276494077&/Technics-SL1200MK5-Priced-to-s

Seller has great feedback, the arm was upgraded w / RCA adapter... if KAB performed the upgrades, this might be a solid opportunity for a good deal on a basically new table. 

Personally I'd negotiate the gold "bra" out of the deal assuming it's not permanently affixed. :o

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm »
KAB will thoroughly inspect the deck if you purchase from him.  Any problems will be corrected at no extra cost.  You can find cheaper 12xx from the nearest DJ store but most new users are looking for the fewest headaches.
The Technics 12XX does have an earned reputation for being very stout and reliable, so the odds are good that you won't have problems.  For a new user there is no better bargain.  Add a few mods and you may not ever need to upgrade again.