What Do You Use For Tube Dampers?

david62

What Do You Use For Tube Dampers?
« on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:30 pm »
I am thinking I should be using tube dampers for the 12au7's in the Clarinet.What products work well?Thanks,
Dave

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
Re: What Do You Use For Tube Dampers?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:48 pm »
FWIW, I haven't had a tube damper do anything for me in any amp except in an extremely microphonic tube.  It was more effective to replace the tube.  I've been told there is a way to provide a low resistance to vibration pathway from the pins of the tube to draw the vibration out of the tube and thus dramatically reduce microphonics, but I've actually viewed such a device and I don't see anyway to build one.

Hope that helps,

Dan

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:54 pm »
That's an easy question, Herbie's Ultrasonic RX-9 will add that extra layer of clarity to your 12au7 tube. It's done nice things to the clarity for my friend's  Eastern Electric Dac's Siemens E82CC CV4003 tube and it's working quite well with my Mhdt Havana Bendix Red Bank 6385 tube.

You can read more about Herbie's products in his AC Circle here. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

toobluvr

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2010, 05:17 pm »
As much as it pains me to say it, I'm with DantheMan on this one.   :P

I have never heard any tube damper have any sonic effect whatsoever on a properly working tube.   But that's just me.  I don't hear the effects of most of the snake oil that's discussed on here.  Of course, YMMV.

Personally, I'd spend the money elsewhere in my system, or on better NOS tubes.   

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2010, 08:10 pm »
But they look so cool. specially the Herbie's peak jobs.

One damper that is said to do a lot for blocking FRI/EMI is the one from Brent Jesse: http://www.audiotubes.com/damper.htm

I plan to try it on the first tube in the Cornet2.

david62

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2010, 09:18 pm »
It seems that I opened a can of worms.Herbie's Ultrasonic RX9 looks the coolest if nothing else.

GRD

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2010, 04:22 pm »
I use Herbie's tube dampers and, for me, I can hear a difference.  Mostly on the AX7's.  I've also used Herbie's on the tubes in my BAT CD player and I can hear a difference there. 

The difference is subtle (unless the tube is obviously micro-phonic).  First, you lose some of the "air" or ambiance - not necessarily a good thing.  The bass seems to increase a little or tighten up (a good thing).  Finally, a little bit of distortion seems to go away (a good thing).  All tubes are a little micro-phonic.  With tube dampers across all the signal tubes, some of the tube "magic" will disappear and the sound will get more solid and can seem sterile.  So, you may want to try damping some but not all of the tubes.

Your ears, system, etc.  may be different but these are my findings.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2010, 04:39 pm »
It seems that I opened a can of worms.Herbie's Ultrasonic RX9 looks the coolest if nothing else.

Bottomline here David, Herbie's offers a 90 day money back guarantee with any of their products so you have ample time to find out for yourself. Not only that, Herbie's offer a lifetime replacement warranty if there's any problems. Find out for yourself. I've always had good luck with them but I do have friends that say the dampening rings dullen the sound so there's really only 1 way to find out for sure.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

david62

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm »
How about isolation feet under tube amps?
Dave

JimK

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2010, 06:51 pm »
Whether it is because my system is not revealing enough, or due to other factor(s), I, too, have not heard any appreciable differences when using tube dampers. Most of the time I simply replace the offending tube(s) when I start to hear "bad things". However, I have noticed increased tube life after using Pear Tube Coolers:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_cool_pearl.html

I have no affiliation or "connection" of any kind with the manufacturer or distributor. I'm just a satisfied customer.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2010, 07:53 pm »
How about isolation feet under tube amps?
Dave

This is my 1st tube Dac David, other than my Butler tube hybrid amps in which the tubes are hardwired into the sockets, I have had no experience with tube gear and tube rolling. I have just tried the Ultrasonic RX-9 dampener on both a loaned Eastern Electric tube dac and my Havana and both myself and the EE Dac's owner have heard heightened inner details within a 3D sound stage from their use.

I have ordered 4 Herbie's Tenderfoots that will replace the Havana's feet. It stands to (my reasoning) that the more inner vibrations that can be obsorbed from the dac, the truer the sound. It's the reason I cryo my gear which is said to tighten up the molecule structure of metals. The less space between molecules, the less structural resistance that causes noise for the electron signal, hense a cleaner signal. It's all interrelated in my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

david62

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2010, 01:36 pm »
The isolation feet seem like a good idea.If the whole unit is modulated by sound waves,tube dampers alone probably would be ineffective.
Dave

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:19 pm »
I've used McMaster Carr teflon O rings on my preamp 6922's. 6922's can be a little microphonic in general. You can hear them ring when you tap on the tube itself, so damping here can help a bit. I don't use any damping anywhere else because I have heard some life drained out of the music when tubes are overdamped, so judicious and select use is what I would recommend.

toobluvr

« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:26 pm »
6922's can be a little microphonic in general. You can hear them ring when you tap on the tube itself, so damping here can help a bit.

Mullard CV-2493 are especially prone to this.  The make a pinging sound when you tap on the shelf and the preamp case.  Also when the selector switch is used, and the volume pot if it is stepped.  If you have them don't worry--this is normal and not a defect.

It's one of my favorite 6dj8 / 6922 in most circuits, so I'll live with it.