Interesting first day at the Masters

drphoto

Interesting first day at the Masters
« on: 8 Apr 2010, 09:14 pm »
Tom Watson co-leader @ -5?? Freddy's lookin' sharp. (my favorite player) and a 16 year old in the house @ -1.

Oh, yeah, and there's some guy named Tiger.

I almost got cable TV for this but I'm tracking it online while I work.

sanjaygolf

Re: Interesting first day at the Masters
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2010, 10:40 pm »
Boom Boom is my favorite as well. Glad to see him leading @ 6 under.

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:03 pm »
4 of my favorite golfers are in contention.  Couples, Watson, Woods and Mickelson.  Hopefully they all remain on the leaderboard through Sunday.  Lots of golf left, but off to a great start so far!  :thumb:  I'll be in Memphis for a bachelor party this weekend, so sadly, I will likely miss most of the tournament.

Paul

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:47 pm »
There was a lot of shotmaking today.  The course was set up to produce some scoring and the players capitalized on it.  And I was very pleased that the coverage and interviews were all about the golf tournament and what was happening out on the course.  As a golf fan that is all I really care about between now and Sunday.

It was great to see Watson and Couples playing so well, and it was also nice to see Mickelson get hot with the putter.  But the shot of the day in my mind was the approach that Tiger hit into number 9.  He curled that ball about 20 yards around the trees from the second cut in the left rough and left himself a 10 foot birdie putt -- simply amazing.

--Jerome

droht

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:28 pm »
No question on the shot of the day.  It was one of those "don't try this at home" moments.  I think maybe Arnie and Jack were thinking they should have kept playing after seeing the numbers the other "old" guys posted.  Fun stuff on Thursday, but I imagine that Augusta will start to claim some victims from that leaderboard in today's round.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:07 pm »
Excited to see Lefty (Phil) doing well, and Mike Weir (other lefty) hit some nice shots.

I will try to catch some of it either on PC or big screen today, looking forward to the weekend rounds too.

That shot by Tiger was outrageous, what a moment!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:14 pm »
Fun stuff on Thursday, but I imagine that Augusta will start to claim some victims from that leaderboard in today's round.

I agree completely.  The course was "easy" on Thursday because the tees were forward on most of the holes and Augusta was playing shorter.  The rain helped to soften the greens a bit and slow them down.  Under these optimal scoring conditions players were able to attack the golf course with a great deal of success.  The tees are certain to be moved all the way back for the championship rounds over the weekend.  There is no rain in the forecast for the duration of the tournament.  So the course will dry out, the greens will firm up, and the golf course will get progressively more difficult over the next three days.

I expect to see some good scoring today but I think that come Sunday afternoon there won't be some names at the top of the leaderboard that there right now.  That being said, wouldn't it be a real hoot if Watson and Couples were in a shootout for the title on Sunday?

--Jerome

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:54 pm »
The course was easy. With drier weather coming the greens will roll faster. The pin placements more difficult.
   great to see Freddie and Tom up there. How old is Watson ? 63 ? No , yes ?

charles

toobluvr

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:08 pm »

Watson is 60.   Google is your friend!    :thumb:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:10 pm »
A great first day for sure.
Tiger's 2nd shot on the 9th was the shot of the tourney besides the 2 hole in one's in the par 3 contest on Tuesday.

Beautiful weather for the rest of the tourney will harden the soft greens up and with tougher pin placements the scores should rise. All those 67's will turn into 70/71's. 15 under will win and Tiger will be victorious

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:34 pm »
15 under ... and I'm having a good day at 15 over  :thumb:

toobluvr

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:39 pm »
15 under ... and I'm having a good day at 15 over  :thumb:

I'd trade my left nut for 15 over! .....well, maybe.   :scratch:    :o   :lol:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:05 pm »
I'd trade my left nut for 15 over! .....well, maybe.   :scratch:    :o   :lol:

I'd trade your left nut for 15 over on my card!  :green:

--Jerome

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:07 pm »
Watson is 60.   Google is your friend!    :thumb:

thank you.

charles

toobluvr

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2010, 05:09 pm »
I'd trade your left nut for 15 over on my card!  :green:

--Jerome

Hmmm...how magnanimous of you!    :o    :rotflmao:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2010, 09:32 pm »
Well day two has turned out to be much more difficult.  The greens are much faster, the tees are back, and they used Sunday pin placements on several holes which meant that par was often a good score.  There are very few players today attacking the par 5s.  The 12th hole only yielded 5 birdies all day today.  The 14th has been eating the field alive.

Couples had a tough day and his back was really bothering him.  His putter let him down today along with a few wayward approach shots, which explains the 75 he carded on today's round.  Watson is also having a difficult time out there but has only lost one shot to par so far.

The leaderboard is spread out now and this weekend is shaping up to be one helluva show.

--Jerome

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2010, 10:33 pm »
Woods is right in the hunt,,, only 2 shots back at a -6 under. Tiger is in perfect hunting position for this weekend,,, let those few players ahead of him sweat it out.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2010, 11:02 pm »
It looks to be an interesting final 2 days!  Nice leaderboard.  Most you expect and a few you don't.  Spent Wednesday at Augusta for a practice round and Par 3 tournament.  A few changes to the course, but the range is now incredible...used to be rather small and short, now it's huge with plenty of practice areas.

If you are in to golf and haven't been, definitely try to get some practice round badges - go to the Masters website and submit your info.  They run a lottery for the practice round tickets.  TV does not do this course justice; incredible vertical changes throughout the course that HD does not capture.

Go Phil!!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2010, 11:13 pm »
Go Phil!!
+1  lefties have to stick together :thumb: He's in the hunt for sure.

Laura

mfsoa

« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2010, 11:18 pm »
I'm wondering how the tee-off order is determined on Thursdays?

Is it by score on the following days?

Thanks in advance

-Mike