Replacing a travel tripod.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Replacing a travel tripod.
« on: 8 Apr 2010, 02:52 pm »
I had a cheap SLIK panning tripod for years.  It was made for video and was light but it could handle digital camera with reasonably light lens.  I carried it on the side of my camera bag.  I go to shoot my daughter in an opera production and I find the (cheap) head and the center column ring on the tripod cracked. I was fortunate enough to go to the backstage and get some gaffer's tape to get through.  With a trip to Italy planned this summer I needed a travel pod.  I wanted a good one that will last me a lifetime but did not want to pay the Gitzo price.  In comes Feisol carbon fiber tripod and Photo Clam ballhead.

http://reallybigcameras.com/Colors_of_Spring.htm has been extended April if anybody is looking for a tripod deal.  They did not have my choice of blue and was willing to give me black (instead of a color of spring) which I wanted in the first place.

I got a chance to take it out to Tidal Basin for a spin.  I am impressed.  The twist lock takes getting used to.  The level on the head is a nice feature I can really appreciate.  The whole thing is tightly machined together and is a joy to use.  It's light to carry and can handle even my 100-400 Zoom.   :thumb:

P.S.  I had no issue with rotating legs at all.   Once I got the feel for the twist lock, I had no problem setting up and breaking down the pod in a jiffy.  The quick release plate was a free bonus.  :thumb:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Replacing a travel tripod.
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:59 am »
Wow that's still expensive! But for a lightweight really nice travel tripod I guess it can be worth it. Looks really nice!