Tubed or SS CD player for an all tube system

Alexdad54

Re: Tubed or SS CD player for an all tube system
« Reply #40 on: 4 May 2010, 02:33 pm »
Well after suffering much analysis paralysis I saw a great deal on the "auction site" I couldn't pass up (although I may regret it...) for a demo Rega Apollo  with low hours  and full dealer warranty. Of course, right after I paid for it, I saw TWO ads for JAS Musik's, a previous highly-rated candidate on my list!   :lol:
Oh well, I'm curious to try out the Apollo and hear the (in)famous Rega sound and see how it fits into my system, if it's not a good fit then I'll go back to the well again but aim higher.....

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #41 on: 4 May 2010, 03:23 pm »
Well after suffering much analysis paralysis I saw a great deal on the "auction site" I couldn't pass up (although I may regret it...) for a demo Rega Apollo  with low hours  and full dealer warranty. Of course, right after I paid for it, I saw TWO ads for JAS Musik's, a previous highly-rated candidate on my list!   :lol:
Oh well, I'm curious to try out the Apollo and hear the (in)famous Rega sound and see how it fits into my system, if it's not a good fit then I'll go back to the well again but aim higher.....

Cool Dave, hope you'll post something on how it matches up with the Havana. Good luck!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Alexdad54

« Reply #42 on: 8 May 2010, 02:29 am »

Cool Dave, hope you'll post something on how it matches up with the Havana. Good luck!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Well I wish I could say how it matches up but I'm really having a bad luck day here! The demo Apollo (of Nov. 2006 vintage) that I got for what I thought was a good deal finally came and I started to do some playing and I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it sounds literally miles beyond what I have ever had to play CD's with. It is really musical and detailed with a lot more soundstage than I have ever had and now I feel that I have an idea what everyone is talking about re higher-end CDP players.

The bad news is two-fold. First, the Rega Solar remote that the seller included in the box doesn't seem to work. I programmed my Logitech Harmony One with the Rega codes and they control the machine with no problem so I'm not sure what's going on here.

The other, more unfortunate, piece of bad news is that it will not play the overwhelming majority of my CD-R's.  I tried quite a number and only ONE out of all of them played. They are all burned at 4X on Japanese or Singaporean-made Verbatim media and even when I ripped and re-burned one of them twice (using both ImgBurn and EAC at 4X & 8X)it still wouldn't play at all. The others seemed to skip/play in fits and starts or keep re-trying after going through the full initialization procedure or just buzz. They are clean CD's because some of them had never even been played before, as I had stored them to wait for a good player after I burned them. The machine also does not like skipping ahead to the next track either.....
Is this a glitch in this particular Apollo or something that cannot be overcome?
Many seem to love the Apollo and I can see why if all you're playing is retail CD's but that won't work for me. If this is how it's going to behave then I will have to opt for something else.....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #43 on: 8 May 2010, 02:50 am »
Dave...

Found this on another site...

"For those who may be having problems with their Apollo reading CD-Rs.

The Apollo's owner's manual clearly states that any CD-Rs recorded at greater than 8x are not guaranteed to play, as the player may not be able to read it.

It's in the owner's manual. Maybe that's why some people are having problems with the Apollo reading their CD-Rs?"

......................... :?

http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/Apollo%20English%20manual.pdf

Alexdad54

« Reply #44 on: 8 May 2010, 03:24 am »
LoneWolfNY
All of my CDR's are recorded at 4X or8X never higher. Why would it play one that was recorded the same way as the rest and none of the others? I have never had a problem playing them on any other CDP.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #45 on: 8 May 2010, 03:30 am »
LoneWolfNY
All of my CDR's are recorded at 4X or8X never higher. Why would it play one that was recorded the same way as the rest and none of the others? I have never had a problem playing them on any other CDP.

Beats me.... :scratch:

Maybe others with Rega Apollo experience will chime in.... 8)

Check with Mariusz......I think he owned one...

Alexdad54

« Reply #46 on: 8 May 2010, 03:42 am »
Thanks, Lonewolf, I will. I spent a long time mulling over what I would start with in the higher end and now I feel a bit chuffed, too say the least. I've written to the distributors and as the unit still has 6 months left on the warranty I'm interested in hearing what they have to say.
Learned my lesson about the 'bay though! :duh:

Alexdad54

Re: Tubed or SS CD player for an all tube system-Update
« Reply #47 on: 1 Jun 2010, 03:41 pm »
Well, the Rega distributor in Dallas was great and had me ship it to their service centre in California where it has had it's transport and ribbon cable replaced. Now I'm waiting for it's return, my pocketbook $75 lighter for the shipping. The service centre said that it was playing everything they played on it so we'll see....

But just to put the icing on the cake, the remote that was shipped buy the seller that I had thought was broken is not broken but is, in fact, an an older Rega Solar remote that the Apollo won't recognize. Now I have the delightful problem of trying to get the original OEM remote from them.  :cuss:
Anyone have any strategies to suggest, other than leaving negative feedback on Ebay?
He hasn't replied yet to my e-mails from last week.........

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jun 2010, 04:50 pm »
If the ad was not accurate (and I think that the wrong remote would be an example of that) you could file a claim for a refund from eBay, but this needs to be initiated within something like 45 days after the sale. It is possible to get eBay on the phone to discuss your case and options. I found them to be very helpful.

Good luck.

Alexdad54

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jun 2010, 05:49 pm »
If the ad was not accurate (and I think that the wrong remote would be an example of that) you could file a claim for a refund from eBay, but this needs to be initiated within something like 45 days after the sale. It is possible to get eBay on the phone to discuss your case and options. I found them to be very helpful.

Good luck.
Thanks roscoeiii, I'll have to check the date of the purchase, I'm pretty sure it's within 45 days. The original ad said, "The Apollo is one of the best reviewed CD players of the last several years. This is my store demo and it is mint. It has very little time on it. Full warranty. Original box, remote and manual. This listed for $1199. Buyer pays shipping of 20 lbs from 06111. Paypal only, please."
No original remote or manual. Had to e-mail twice for the purchase invoice, the warranty is not "full" it has only 6 months left on it. and it needed servicing (see above). Still hasn't answered re providing the original remote.
Next call is to eBay...

roscoeiii

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jun 2010, 07:46 pm »
Sounds like grounds for a return to me. eBay requires item to be as described. They should refund even if seller has a "no returns" policy. I believe you will need to send item back to seller with a tracking number. Again, talk to eBay, as they will let you know how best to deal with an unresponsive seller.

What a pain.

Alexdad54

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jun 2010, 08:05 pm »
I have started a case with eBay through their website requesting either the original remote or a refund. In fact, if I have to return it, he gets the benefit, as the cdp now has a new transport and ribbon and I'll be out the shipping! In hindsight I should have either gone new or via one of the good folks on AC.....
to be continued....

lonewolfny42

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jun 2010, 04:34 am »
Thanks for the update Dave....keep us posted....good luck. :thumb:

Alexdad54

« Reply #53 on: 8 Jun 2010, 04:54 pm »
well, the seller opted for a refund for the item plus the initial shipping and I finally received payment today but only after involving eBay Customer Resolution to unfreeze the refund. They also gave me a $10 gift certificate after hearing my story, nice touch, that.
My thanks to all who helped here with their ideas!

Now the search begins anew.... :thumb:

boead

« Reply #54 on: 8 Jun 2010, 05:21 pm »
Have you ever heard the Arcam FMJ with the RingDAC? It’s a great player and compromise!! Has the warmth and weight of a tube output stage but the shear detail, speed and soundstage of a SS machine.
Before buying mine a couple of years ago I listed to a few CDP’s in my system and a friends. The Arcam FMJ 23T was my favorite over newer models and others costing twice the price.

BTW: Im a long time Decware fan; be careful of some of their products output current. They tend to be HOT which works beautifully with Steves lower powered amps but Ive read all to many comments from people with High Powered amps that complain of to much gain and distortions.
I lived with the Jolida for some time, its good but there is NO COMPARISON to the Arcam, even the cheaper non-FMJ models (Diva I believe). With the right tubes the Jolida can be coerced into sounding musical but even an older CAL DAC was more musical in all ways.

Just my 2 cents.

Alexdad54

« Reply #55 on: 8 Jun 2010, 08:04 pm »
Thanks for the idea but to be honest, while I have read great things about the Arcam FMJ 23T, it's age (not to mention it's general unavailability) makes me a bit hesitant. I am currently having my older Rotel RCD-971 repaired and modded by an expert (after botching the job myself ! :lol:) and I am thinking more along the lines of a more recent CDP, perhaps the JAS Musik 1.2 or something similar.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #56 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:44 am »
well, the seller opted for a refund for the item plus the initial shipping and I finally received payment today but only after involving eBay Customer Resolution to unfreeze the refund. They also gave me a $10 gift certificate after hearing my story, nice touch, that.
My thanks to all who helped here with their ideas!

Glad to hear the refund came through Dave... :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #57 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:56 am »
Glad to hear the refund came through Dave... :thumb:

Me also Dave,, both EBAY and Paypal have made huge stride in the last few years for the consumer. It has recently worked for me, glad to see it work for you also.  :thumb:

So your search continues,,, best of luck with the next CDP.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Alexdad54

« Reply #58 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:15 pm »
Thanks for the help and the comments guys, much appreciated. Even though I took a hit it IS kind of fun being back on the hunt.... :green:

Update: I just got this message from the seller after I left negative feedback regarding the situation: "You are a complete and utter asshole."
This is my reply: Before you  go calling people names you should try to be honest about the situation, if possible.
Nothing I wrote was more or less than the complete truth. I had to send the unit to California for servicing where it received a new transport and ribbon, hardly a "mint" unit. Next time trying selling it "as is". Fortunately, in this case, there was still 6 months left on what you called a "full warranty". I am out  a total of $90 for the shipping for servicing and again back to you. I would have kept it but you never answered my requests for a remote that actually worked with the Apollo instead of some some out of date unit. I had to consistently send you multiple inquiries to get one reply. You deserve what you got and eBay is also aware of the situation. Good luck."

Definitely one to avoid like the plague........

2nd Update: After previously describing me in colorful terms, he now wants me to revise my feedback saying that he always tries to work with his customers to resolve problems referencing his other feedback. As my Peruvian wife would say, "que conchudo!"......

I prefer the friendlier world of AC.... :thumb:
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2010, 09:19 pm by Alexdad54 »

Alexdad54

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jun 2010, 08:03 pm »
Can anyone give me any thoughts about two specific cdp's? I'm looking at a new Rega Apollo or a tubed cdp, the JAS Musik 1.2 (used).