1uf Caps for C6

Rono944

1uf Caps for C6
« on: 4 Feb 2004, 05:40 pm »
Hi;  I wanted to know what the sonic difference would be using a 1uf Auricap for C6 as opposed to .47 uf Auricaps.  I have some .47's left over from another project.

Thanks, Ron

GRD

1uf Caps for C6
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2004, 07:57 pm »
This thread from last year might help.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4946

tianguis

Funny you should ask. I just did it.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2004, 08:05 pm »
Ron:
      Due to good fortune on eBay, I built my Cornet with Jensen coppers at c1,c3,c6. Monday, I paralleled c6 with another Jensen. This resulted in some additional bass response, more bass control and better low-end dynamics (oomph!). And, yes, I have a good TT (Teres/Redpoint hybrid).

Regards,
Larry Welsh

pretzel_logic

Still wondering myself...
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2004, 10:53 am »
The input impedance of my amps is 470k.  I'm using a 1uF cap myself and have no idea what matches with what.  When it gets down to doing the math on this stuff I'm lost.  I'm just a simple carpenter, give me lengths, angles and areas and I'm ok.

hagtech

1uf Caps for C6
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2004, 01:59 am »
If the length of the preamp's input impedance is 25k square ohms or above, the angle for bass frequencies will be ok if C6 is 0.47uF.

jh :wink:

pretzel_logic

Thanks Jim
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2004, 09:01 pm »
Now those are the measurements I can understand.  Just waiting for that new lineamp to come out now.

Brian

hagtech

1uf Caps for C6
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2004, 04:32 am »
Linestage is right around the corner.  Making what I hope to be final prototype right now.  Last issue to solve is if the select switch goes on right or left.

Several other products on the way too.  A Bugle with variable EQ to run 78s.  Which I then extended to a Cornet.  Soon to publish a schematic for a Cornet "Monogram" - build standard board up as a mono phono channel with variable EQ (6 turnover and 6 cut frequencies) with built-in volume control linestage.  Connect straight to amplifier.  I use right channel for phono, left for linestage.  You could jam in auxiliary inputs, but hey, it's just mono.  Will make a great "78" system.

So new Bugle in a box, FryKleaner "pro" in a box, monoblock and DAC to match linestage.  Sooo busy.  Then I am doing a motor controller for Redpoint/Galibier (this is going to be cool), plus a strobe/clamp combo for turntables.  

Back to the lab again...

jh :)

mb

1uf Caps for C6
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2004, 07:35 am »
Even better: if your have four pieces, use two 0.47uF Auricaps in parallel, with red/black leads inverted (ie. directionally opposite). This config certainly has the potential to beat a single 1uF Auricap.

JoshK

1uf Caps for C6
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2004, 04:22 pm »
Jim,

You have really whet my appetite!  I think the half kit is such a great idea for those DIY'ers like us who like feeling like we are doing a lot ourselves, keeping costs low but don't know quite how to design from the ground up.  Hope you keep the half kit around to stay.

I would really like to hear what your plans are for the monos!  Tubes I hope?!  This could be perfect for the dedicated vinyl/tube system I have slated for building.

hagtech

1uf Caps for C6
« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2004, 05:57 am »
I started building the prototype Cornet Monogram today.  Need to order some parts, but I think it will go together quite well.  I'll post a schematic and parts list one of these days.  

jh :)