Bicycling On-the-Road

jparkhur

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #620 on: 24 May 2011, 01:13 pm »
Help with a bike choice.  Big guy 280, love to ride, need assistance with new bike choice.  58 cm, used to ride a Trek 5200, but am worried about a break in the carbon due to weight.. 3-4 rides a week, 20-30 miles

JP

sandbagger

« Reply #621 on: 24 May 2011, 01:26 pm »
I would not worry about carbon these days, early frames there was a lot of concern for big riders but they have come a long way.

I started out at 230lbs on a Felt F75 Carbon rear triangle and fork.  Not a single problem and I am anything but easy on it.

Help with a bike choice.  Big guy 280, love to ride, need assistance with new bike choice.  58 cm, used to ride a Trek 5200, but am worried about a break in the carbon due to weight.. 3-4 rides a week, 20-30 miles

JP

TomS

« Reply #622 on: 24 May 2011, 01:47 pm »
Being a big guy too, I've had a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 1 58cm for 3 years, no problems at all. I love the feel of it compared to an old steel Centurian Ironman/600 SIS I had for many many years, several thousand miles and rebuilds. Keep an eye on wheels/spokes but other than that pretty much no worries.  Good luck!

Tom

jparkhur

« Reply #623 on: 24 May 2011, 01:50 pm »
Tom, just looking at a CAAD10 3, those wheels look ok...Mavic Aksium

TomS

« Reply #624 on: 24 May 2011, 02:02 pm »
I have Mavic Ksyrium's

jackman

« Reply #625 on: 24 May 2011, 04:54 pm »
Tom, just looking at a CAAD10 3, those wheels look ok...Mavic Aksium

Hi Tom,
Best of luck with the new bike. I don't know your budget or your level of flexibility but will be happy to include a couple bike suggestions.  First of all, ride the bike for as long as possible before buying.  Also, go to a good shop to make sure you get the proper size and the right kind of bike for your desired riding.  A Ferrari is a great car but not a good choice for someone who needs to pick up kids or groceries, or as a main ride for a guy who is 7 feet tall.  The right kind of bike and the proper size (and proper fit if you plan to ride long hours or distance).  This can mean the difference beween an enjoyable hobby and torture/wasted money. 

The CAAD10 (and the former CAAD 9) is an awesome frame and is very popular with racers.  For an aluminum frame, the CAAD is supposed to be relatively smooth riding and good handling, and a good value for the $$$.  However, it might not be your best choice.  For all of the positives, I would not recommend this bike to someone just getting into (or back into) cycling.  The geometry is very aggressive (short head-tube, long top tube, etc.) and I believe it has a relatively short wheelbase.  Plus, despite all of the positive attributes, it's still aluminum and will still beat you up on long rides.  Unless you are looking for a crit bike or something for short rides, I would recommend a carbon fiber bike with relaxed geometry and long(ish) wheelbase. 

The CAAD is sexy but I would look at the C-dale Synapse, the Specialized Roubaix, Trek Madone "Performance" fit or one of the many "relaxed" geo bikes.  Lynskey makes an affordable Ti model (Sportif) with relaxed geometry.  They are designed for comfort, but are stiff where they need to be and fast enough to race if you ever want to go that route.  These are not geezer bikes and will fit you well if you are not a racer.  Carbon is getting to be very affordable and will easily support your weight.  The wheels might be a different story (don't go with low spoke count racing wheels, get something sturdy) but I wouldn't worry about the frame breaking. 

I have a CF bike and it is dialed in perfectly.  Last weekend, I spent almost 6 hours riding, rode for an hour and a half on Thursday and rode on the trainer earlier today.  The ride is like a magic carpet over bumps but is stiff when I mash the pedals.   I could never go back to an aluminum bike as my main ride.  I may get one as a race bike (Spooky) but not for long distances (century rides or anything +50 miles).  Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Jack

TomS

« Reply #626 on: 24 May 2011, 05:07 pm »
Hi Tom,
Best of luck with the new bike. I don't know your budget or your level of flexibility but will be happy to include a couple bike suggestions.  First of all, ride the bike for as long as possible before buying.  Also, go to a good shop to make sure you get the proper size and the right kind of bike for your desired riding.  A Ferrari is a great car but not a good choice for someone who needs to pick up kids or groceries, or as a main ride for a guy who is 7 feet tall.  The right kind of bike and the proper size (and proper fit if you plan to ride long hours or distance).  This can mean the difference beween an enjoyable hobby and torture/wasted money. 

The CAAD10 (and the former CAAD 9) is an awesome frame and is very popular with racers.  For an aluminum frame, the CAAD is supposed to be relatively smooth riding and good handling, and a good value for the $$$.  However, it might not be your best choice.  For all of the positives, I would not recommend this bike to someone just getting into (or back into) cycling.  The geometry is very aggressive (short head-tube, long top tube, etc.) and I believe it has a relatively short wheelbase.  Plus, despite all of the positive attributes, it's still aluminum and will still beat you up on long rides.  Unless you are looking for a crit bike or something for short rides, I would recommend a carbon fiber bike with relaxed geometry and long(ish) wheelbase. 

The CAAD is sexy but I would look at the C-dale Synapse, the Specialized Roubaix, Trek Madone "Performance" fit or one of the many "relaxed" geo bikes.  Lynskey makes an affordable Ti model (Sportif) with relaxed geometry.  They are designed for comfort, but are stiff where they need to be and fast enough to race if you ever want to go that route.  These are not geezer bikes and will fit you well if you are not a racer.  Carbon is getting to be very affordable and will easily support your weight.  The wheels might be a different story (don't go with low spoke count racing wheels, get something sturdy) but I wouldn't worry about the frame breaking. 

I have a CF bike and it is dialed in perfectly.  Last weekend, I spent almost 6 hours riding, rode for an hour and a half on Thursday and rode on the trainer earlier today.  The ride is like a magic carpet over bumps but is stiff when I mash the pedals.   I could never go back to an aluminum bike as my main ride.  I may get one as a race bike (Spooky) but not for long distances (century rides or anything +50 miles).  Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Jack
I agree completely. When I bought my Synapse Carbon, the more aggressive System Six series was new and very popular at my LBS and was within my budget. Fortunately, the sales guy sized me up and listened carefully to what I wanted to do (ride more comfortably, farther, maybe only slightly faster as a bonus) and set me up on this one. The comfort AND acceleration/speed difference from my old bike was night and day, which I wasn't expecting at all. I really didn't want to just be a poser with shiny new stuff, but my backside appreciates it every time I climb on. After 3+ years I still love the feel of the carbon bike so it was worth every penny to me.

sandbagger

« Reply #627 on: 24 May 2011, 05:27 pm »
My next bike will be full carbon!

I started out years ago on a Cannondale (first gen race frame) from the mid 80's.  Back in 05 I decided to start riding again after being off the bike for a long long time and wanted a new bike.   An old coworker from the bike shop I worked at as a kid had his own shop and told me to at least get carbon fork and seat stays, and also at least 105group. 

I was very supprised how well even the rear carbon stays and fork soak up the roads around here without being soft. 

A Bike FIT is also very important, and make sure you fit the bike, and the shop does not just put you into a bike they have.

without a budget, hard to make recommendations   

LadyDog

« Reply #628 on: 25 May 2011, 02:18 am »
Some good advice here.  Fit is "King".  Spending $4k on a new bike is a big waste of money of it does not fit well and you are not comfortable on it.  Hence do not ride it much.

Recommendations would be somewhat contingent upon budget.  Which is what? 

Mavic makes some pretty strong wheels, as do some others, but I would also look at those with 32(36 even better) spokes per rim. 

jackman

« Reply #629 on: 31 May 2011, 10:28 pm »
Here is my Garmin info from Sunday.  It was a great solo ride but it rained very hard for a brief period and I had to take it easy.  Finally feeling like I'm getting my strength in my legs and lungs back.  It's about time!

Cheers!

Jack

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88757213

BikeWNC

« Reply #630 on: 31 May 2011, 11:15 pm »
I drove up to Blacksburg, Va over the weekend to meet a friend and ride the Wilderness Ride on Sat. and the Mountains of Misery Century on Sun.  We chose to do the 38 mile option on the Wilderness Ride and took it pretty easy as a warmup but worked a couple leg openers.  Generally though it was a relaxing ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88533970

On Sunday we did the 104 mile Mountains of Misery Century.  It's a beautiful ride and not too bad until the last 5 miles.  The last 3 miles of the ride end in a 12% average climb to the finish.  There is a mile in there at near 16% average.  With over 100 miles in my legs by then it was very tough.  I had a good day, though I did slow down to let my friend who was cramping try to keep up.  I ended up waiting for him at a couple rest stops for well over an hour.  So my time wasn't great but he made it to the top and I got more than my money's worth on the ride. 

One note, 3 riders compared our elevation gain on our Garmin units and they were all very different.  One 705 claimed over 9700', my 800 said just over 9000' and my friend's 800 was right between the two.  How can they be so different?  The ride organization claims about 9800' so I would tend to believe the higher or at least the middle elevation gain.  Who knows?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88902331

Andy

Levi

« Reply #631 on: 31 May 2011, 11:23 pm »
Andy you are king of the hill!

BikeWNC

« Reply #632 on: 31 May 2011, 11:30 pm »
Andy you are king of the hill!

LOL, Levi, IDK about king but all I have are hills or mountains to ride so I do the best I can.  Thanks though!

Levi

« Reply #633 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:18 am »
Not much hills here in NYC. The worst part is we have lots of stop light. Kills average speed.

BTW, those Zipp 404 wheels are fast!
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88762340

BikeWNC

« Reply #634 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:27 am »
Not much hills here in NYC. The worst part is we have lots of stop light. Kills average speed.

BTW, those Zipp 404 wheels are fast!
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88762340
Nice cadence on your ride!  I'd love to have a set of zipps.  My LBS has both 303 and 404s just hanging waiting for me.  Someday.  BTW, I grew up in Plainview so I know your route on this ride well. 

Levi

« Reply #635 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:35 am »
They have some nice houses in and around Plainview as if you are not in New York. :)

Those 404 are fast on the flats and rolling hills but I do feel their weight on very long climbs.  Hopefully you can test ride one before putting down a months' mortgage. :lol:

Nice cadence on your ride!  I'd love to have a set of zipps.  My LBS has both 303 and 404s just hanging waiting for me.  Someday.  BTW, I grew up in Plainview so I know your route on this ride well. 

jackman

« Reply #636 on: 2 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for sharing your ride data!  Some guys in my group subscribe to Training peaks (I think that's the name) and Golden Cheetah, and break down their power data after every ride.  That's too advanced for me at the moment but I'll probably start doing it when I get more serious later this month.

I just wanted to let you know about my latest purchase (no it's not a new bike!), I just picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi Elite In-R-Cool bib shorts from Performance on sale.  They are a step up from my Elite II's, on paper at least, but I can't say I like them better.   The Elite II's I have were half the price and the chamois is more dense. It takes a couple rides/washes for the Elite's to break in (the chamois gets softer) but I really like the material and the fit.  The Pearl Izumi bibs are more comfy out of the box and I finally bought the correct size (the Elite bibs are a size too large because I lost some weight).  The size difference probably makes a bigger difference than the style but I like the way the Pearls are constructed.

Also, the Pearl bibs have great ventilation, fit very snugly and comforably, the legs don't slip and they feel like you are not wearing anything (I'm estimating of course  :oops:).  I don't use chamois cream (ever) anymore and have no issue with chafing on long rides.  Rode the PI's for over 100 miles so far with no issues.  They were on sale and I regret not buying 2 pairs!  I've never tried high $$$ bibs like Assos or Castelli but these are very good for the money.  I paid $85 at Performance and they usually cost around $125.  Good deal at $85!

I did a spin class in bike shorts and still can't imagine how anyone (unless you are really tall or have ill fitting bibs) could choose shorts over bibs.  The bibs stay up nicely and feel so good.  With shorts, I always find myself hiking them up!

Cheers!

J

BikeWNC

« Reply #637 on: 5 Jun 2011, 08:49 pm »
Drove out of the mountains for a metric Sat. morning.  Hung in a pretty fast group for the first 30 miles but then those guys called it quits and left my friend and me to finish the ride alone.  I don't get to ride many rides with rolling hills so this ride is always worth the drive. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90092448

Today my friend joined me for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway up to the Craggy Gardens Visitors Center.  It's 18 miles up and then back down, 36 rt with 3600' of climbing.  We took this ride at an easy pace since we were feeling our legs from the day before.  It was so pleasantly cool as we rode up the climb, upper 50s and breezy at the top. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90321414

Andy

Levi

« Reply #638 on: 6 Jun 2011, 03:24 am »
That's pretty impressive Andy.  Having a good riding buddy is priceless!  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #639 on: 6 Jun 2011, 01:36 pm »
Andy, thanks for sharing the link.  Great ride on Saturday.  It was very hot here and muggy.  I only managed 30 miles on Saturday and a short workout yesterday.  It was my son's birthday party weekend and my wife had too much on the to-do list for me. 

A guy died during the half marathon in Chicago this weekend.  He was in good shape and passed out in the high heat/humidity.  Just a reminder to everyone to hydrate and to listen to your body.  Be careful out there!

Cheers,

J