Car leasing

Emil

Car leasing
« on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:59 pm »

went to dealer today, came up with afigure of such and such with 2k down.

How does one go about approaching a lease? Whats negotiable and whats not?

TIA
Emil

Big Red Machine

Re: Car leasing
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2010, 05:06 pm »
Not sure of today's economic policies, but it used to be buy down as much as you want to get the payment to a comfortable level.  Heck, I've had them calculate the exact downpayment to make the monthly an even number without pennies.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2010, 05:33 pm »
First find the car you want among all the makes and models. Then go here http://www.edmunds.com and research it further for current market prices and MSRP. Then submit a request to the online dealers in your area for a price quote. You will almost certainly save more than going to a dealer directly and negotiating with the salesman.

Flyin_V

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm »
Here's a couple of sites that will help you:

http://www.leasecompare.com/
http://www.leaseguide.com/index2.htm

One thing to remember regarding the down payment is that if the car is totaled during your lease period,
you loose your down payment, the insured is the leasing company, not you.

You can also work the dealer on the price then tell them you want to lease and, you can use an outside leasing company, you're not limited to using the dealer.

Enjoy your new car!

Lary

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2010, 06:38 pm »
First find the car you want among all the makes and models. Then go here http://www.edmunds.com and research it further for current market prices and MSRP. Then submit a request to the online dealers in your area for a price quote. You will almost certainly save more than going to a dealer directly and negotiating with the salesman.

Does this really work?

Flyin_V

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:56 pm »
Just click 'Get a free price quote' and once you get prices from multiple dealers, just work one against the other. Very simple and effective. You're bypassing the salesman and dealing w/ the internet person. Tell them you're 'price shopping'.  :D

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2010, 08:05 pm »
Does this really work?

It sure does. Just last week I negotiated a lease for a supercharged Jaguar XF for my wife. Pitted a few dealers againt each other.

Bear

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2010, 09:11 pm »
Does this really work?

It at least gives you a baseline to work with.  A lot of this also depends on the demand/supply for the paticular model you are interested in.   In a lease price and money factor are negotiable, it is important to keep the terms of the lease in line with your driving habits(miles allowed per year).  As far as going with an outside leasing company goes....If you are leasing a new vehicle it is usually advantages to use the manufacturers captive lending as they typically have higher residual values and in a lot of cases lower money factors.   Negotiate a price,  convert your money factor to an APR by multiplying it by 2400.  ie) .00229/2400 = 5.5%

gerald porzio

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2010, 10:35 pm »
While dealers adjust the cap cost (the amt. charged the bank from whom you lease the car), they DO NOT change the money factor set by the leasing bank.

Bear

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2010, 11:29 pm »
While dealers adjust the cap cost (the amt. charged the bank from whom you lease the car), they DO NOT change the money factor set by the leasing bank.

Dealers can in in some cases mark up the money factor.  So it is in some instances negotiable.  Which can increase the cost of the lease.

acresm22

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm »
If you're flexible about the car itself, then shop the lease instead of the vehicle. It's been 10 years since I've leased, but back then the research said to pay as little as possible up front (yes, some say you're "buying down" the monthly payment but it's still a cash gift you're giving) and then negotiate the lowest monthly payment. Back in 1998, I signed a 36-month lease on a Toyota Rav for 0 down and $250/month. At the end of the lease, I turned it in.

Bear

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2010, 11:49 pm »
"Down Payment" is not a gift.  the "cost" of a lease is the sum of payments(payment x term) plus down payment.  ie) $2k down with 36 payments of 300 = 12800.  vs say 3800 down with a payment of 250 x 36 = 12800.  Keep in mind that all things equal, you will not pay "interest" on the down payment so you will actually be paying less overall for the lease as you will have interest savings.  The "down payment" is the lessee's(buyer) you are in effect just prepaying some of the lease.  In fact I used to do pre-paid leases on luxury cars.  I have been in the auto industry for 16 years and have been in finance most of that time.(im a finance director for an auto dealer).

gerald porzio

« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2010, 11:52 pm »
If you roll everything into the payment but the DMV fees, you don't have to spend $ for an alarm because if the vehicle gets stolen or totaled you aren't out any $.

Bear

« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2010, 11:58 pm »
If you roll everything into the payment but the DMV fees, you don't have to spend $ for an alarm because if the vehicle gets stolen or totaled you aren't out any $.

This is true if the vehicle is stolen and not recovered or is deemed a total loss.  Providing one does not owe more on the vehicle than the insurance will pay.  Depending on the state the lease is written in you may have a gap waiver(meaning that the finance company is providing a gap policy on the lease) or you may be able to purchase a  gap policy.

Emil if you have any specific questions I will try and answer them for you.

Happy Motoring.