Mariusz

6J5 tube info
« on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:56 am »
Looking for opinions about these tubes.
Choices
Characteristics
Price
Source

I am getting a preamp-custom build which uses these tubes.
Do not know the details about the preamp yet but should get it this week or the next.

The stock tubes are 6J5 WGT RAYTHEON.

Any info/help will be appreciated.

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: 6J5 tube info
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2010, 01:39 am »
I don't know a thing about those tubes, sorry.  I just wandered into this thread because I am looking for some Hitachi 6j6 tubes.  The guy who made my pre-amp shipped it with some Soviet tubes and the Hitachis which he had never tried.  I've since bought Mullard, RCA and another brand and think that the Hitachis are superior.  Can't find any though.  My point being if they aren't too expensive it's worth trying different brands.  But you probably knew that... :D

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2010, 02:32 am »
Hi
I was wondering about these 6j5 tubes because there aren't many commercial designs utilizing these globes and not a whole lot of choices. I have tried to source them out but didn't find many choices and many are sold as singles.
Eventually I bought a spare Sylvania 6J5 GT/G from 50s. Cost me $38 per match pair from eBay (local NY seller).
It sounds pretty good but I wonder what else is out there to try??
Found some Mullards in England but those cost 5X more + shipping and come from unknown seller.

Preamp was custom build and obviously these were the tubes of choice (I am 2nd owner) but the preamp sounds AWESOME!!!!
Love it so much that I doubt that I'll be selling it anytime soon.

Cheers
Mariusz   

2wo

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2010, 02:38 am »
Hi  M

A 6J5  is half of a 6SN7 if you like them and you think the amp has a future. I bet you can still find some very nice NOS 6J5’s at a fair price. Unlike the ‘picked over to death 6SN7’s’

Or if you have some nice N7’s it would be easy to make an adapter to use half of one, at a time…John Scanlon     

Edit: I read your post. I didn’t know 6J5’s were so dear. Oh well, the 6Sn7 adapter is not hard to make…John

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2010, 02:58 am »
You're right, 6J5 is basicly half of 6SN7 and here are some basic spects :
6J5 info

But why would you suggest adapters?
Or use of 6SN7s?

6J5s are much cheaper & sound great.....at least in this preamp.

I would rather stick with  tubes which are part of  preamp's original design.

Thanks for your suggestions though

Best
Mariusz 

shooter

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:56 am »
If the Sylvania you have is metal base round plate 6j5, they are some of the nicest sounding 6j5s, the 6p5s are a possible substitute, you will have to check with the builder of your preamp. One other tube is the 7193 which you will have to rewire or have an adaptor made with connectors since it grid and plate are on top of the tube, they are the most clear and detail for this family of tubes in my experience.

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2010, 03:02 am »
My look identical to these.
They sound alright - no complaints.