SoundScape 12's have risen!

jsalk

SoundScape 12's have risen!
« on: 4 Apr 2010, 08:38 pm »
Anil had been talking to us for a few months, waiting for news on our new SoundScape design.  About three months ago, he said ne needed to place an order.  Of course, we were still evaluating midranges at the time.

He really wanted the SoundScape 12's, but was moving and needed the new speakers to be shipped to Antwerp, Belgium in early April so that they could be combined on a container with all of his household goods and trans-shipped to his new home.

I told him that we had two prototypes up and running and a third on the way.  I did not know when we would make the final decision, but that even if we did not make it in time, we could at least ship new speakers with the best driver candidates we had at that point in time.  He was comfortable with that, so we proceeded.

Well, on March 6th we made the final driver selection.  So the pair we built for him did have the final drivers.

He wanted SoundScape 12's in a hand-rubbed, high gloss finish.  So we shot a couple coats of automotive black with four coats of automotive clear and rubbed them out.  The result was the deepest black finish we had ever done.  But they were so glossy, there was no way to photograph them in our shop.  They reflected EVERYTHING.  So we had to surround them with carboard to block all reflections.  And the resulting photos simply don't convey the true look of the speakers.

That said, here are some photos...

And a single cabinet...

Same photo just for fun...

And a shot of the top section...

And another shot of the rear of the top section...

It was a very fun project.  Now it's on to the first production pairs of SoundScape 10's...

Happy listening Anil!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2010, 11:41 pm by jsalk »

Nuance

Re: SoundScape 12's have risen!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2010, 08:57 pm »
Congratulations to Jim, Dennis and everyone else involved in your creation of the finest speaker crafted by Salk Sound.  I cannot wait to hear it!

Also congrats to Anil.  Enjoy!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2010, 10:03 pm »
The Accuton looks like it was custom made for that design, particularly in that finish. I'm going to have to post those pics on my office door.  Absolutely beautiful. 

highfilter

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2010, 10:09 pm »
Very nice work, Jim and the team. These look like SoundScapes from the Dark Side. Love it.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2010, 11:03 pm »
Again (?) can you remind me/us what that small section is between the bass and midrange modules is?

Oh yeah and congratulations for getting them finally in production. How exciting!!!   :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2010, 11:41 pm »
Splendid!

Is the Soundscape considered a 4-way speaker?  Does the upper section have a rear firing driver?

fsimms

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:10 am »
Congratulations Anil!  I saw part of the birth of these and they were absolutely stunning!

One less pair in front of mine.  :eyebrows:

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:30 am »
Again (?) can you remind me/us what that small section is between the bass and midrange modules is?

That's acoustic absorption material to isolate the boom booms of the bass with the more nuanced excursions of the mid driver.  Polished, machined cones might look more finished, but they wouldn't work as well. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:34 am »
Splendid!

Is the Soundscape considered a 4-way speaker?  Does the upper section have a rear firing driver?

No--it's definitely a 3-way.  The passive radiators function as superior ports, so they're part of the bass tuning, not a separate driver with its own crossover.  The mid driver is open to the rear, but it can be closed completely with a magnetically held cover, or tuned to the listener's preference by placing varying amounts of poly fill in the cavity. 

Mudslide

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:52 am »
Holy smokes!   :drool:   :drool:   :drool:   :drool:

Oh so nice!  Congrats on SN 00001 and 2, Anil.  (Or 3 and 4 or whatever.)  If you haven't heard them, you will soon be in audio nirvana.  And that's a fact.

Jeff B.

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:44 pm »
They're beautiful, Jim!  :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:21 pm »
Thank you Dennis.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:20 pm »
Thank you Dennis.

You're welcome.  Always happy to talk about The Beast.  I don't know whether you've seen it yet, but the passive radiator part of the design is explained in detail in Jeff Bagby's excellent blog on the Salk site.

K Shep

« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:25 pm »
You're welcome.  Always happy to talk about The Beast.  I don't know whether you've seen it yet, but the passive radiator part of the design is explained in detail in Jeff Bagby's excellent blog on the Salk site.

Great information.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2010, 12:37 am »
Beautiful speakers, Jim.  :thumb:

You're not kidding, either; that finish reflects everything! Is that Satchmo I see there?

Thanks for the pics,
Jerry

strat95

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2010, 06:33 am »
Is that a toggle switch in the middle of the metal plate on top of the mid cabinet?  If yes, what does it do?

TV

martyo

« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2010, 09:11 am »
Is that a toggle switch in the middle of the metal plate on top of the mid cabinet?  If yes, what does it do?

TV

In another thread Jim posted
On the SoundScapes, we use a switch to offer flat response, -1 1/2 db and -3db tweeter settings.

strat95

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2010, 04:55 am »
Thank you martyo.

TV

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:48 am »
Once again....nice work Jim....good luck with the new speakers.... :beer:

pardales

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2010, 07:00 am »
Really nice.....  :D  Hope to hear them at AK Fest.