Mineral wool for internal damping?

kramertc

Mineral wool for internal damping?
« on: 3 Apr 2010, 03:40 pm »
I have 8 lb pcf mineral wool left over from doing acoustic panels.  How would this material do in a Parts Express speaker cabinet for a N2X build?

This isn't a cost issue.  I'm about to call Danny on Monday to order the N2X and have no problems getting the NoRez stuff.  But if I can use something I already have (even though it's a pain to handle mineral wool) then I'd rather do that.

It's 2'' thick and I cuts very easily with a sharpened kitchen knife or the jigsaw for long cuts.

m-fine

Re: Mineral wool for internal damping?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2010, 11:50 pm »

No-rez sticks to the cabinet walls and damps vibrations.  The mineral wool would absorb sound wave similar to the foam layer of the no-rez but it will not help with the damping. 

kramertc

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:39 am »
What if I spray glue the mineral wool to the cabinet with 3M Super 77?

BrianH

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2010, 06:54 pm »
Maybe something like this would be better than 3m stuff

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CMF092/homesblog-20/

I used Dannys foam stuff and it worked very well though.

Ron

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2010, 07:21 pm »
 I presently use No-Rez in all the speaker systems I build. It works very well damping out cabinet vibrations, it's easy to cut, and sticks tightly to the cabinet walls. Really a great product. I highly recommend it.

m-fine

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2010, 07:22 pm »
What if I spray glue the mineral wool to the cabinet with 3M Super 77?

If you glued a heavy asphalt layer or something similar to the wood to damp vibrations, then glued the mineral wool to the damping material to absorb reflections, it could work.  If you ever picked up a sheet of no-res you would quickly realize it is not just a sheet of foam, and it does more than just absorb sound waves.  It is really two different materials that serve different purposes, sold together as a single sheet with a convenient peel and stick application. 

kramertc

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:01 am »
If you glued a heavy asphalt layer or something similar to the wood to damp vibrations, then glued the mineral wool to the damping material to absorb reflections, it could work.  If you ever picked up a sheet of no-res you would quickly realize it is not just a sheet of foam, and it does more than just absorb sound waves.  It is really two different materials that serve different purposes, sold together as a single sheet with a convenient peel and stick application.

Thank you.  I'm sold on the No Rez.

kramertc

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2010, 03:15 pm »
Maybe something like this would be better than 3m stuff

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CMF092/homesblog-20/

I used Dannys foam stuff and it worked very well though.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep that link for future projects.  Already have a nearly full can of 3M Super 77 and that's why I was planing on using it.

I'm going to go with No Rez.

jdbrian

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2010, 09:30 pm »
Hi

I just installed the no rez in my under construction ob7 cabinets today. It cuts really well on a table saw and /or a mitre saw so you can cut up all the pieces for a compex set of cabinets like the ob7's in about 15 minutes. Then you just peel off the backing and stick it on. Painless and fast.

Brian